Just bought a bucket gun...

Sight unseen!

Friend texted me that our local gunshop has an S&W Model 38 humpback in really good condition.

I just called the shop, and they confirmed that it's a pinned gun, which means it's pre-1982ish manufacture.

I've been looking for a humpback to go with my 3" Model 36 and my Model 042 Centennial Hammerless for years...

Best news of all?

It's priced at $299.99! That's freaking unheard of in Northern Virginia for just about any revolver from a major manufacturer to be priced that low.

dgludwig

$299.99 for a Smith Model 38 humpback in really good condition? That's freaking unheard of in about any state in the Union! Congratulations-running into this kind of deal doesn't happen often in my experience.

UncleEd

Are you sure, Mike, that if you'd gone for a $309.99 gun you wouldn't have had a much better one?

Or maybe you should have chewed the dealer down to $289.99.

samsmix

I was afraid a "bucket gun" might be similar to the automotive world's "bucket motor". I was eskeered for a minute.

deerslayer303

You just HAD to start the thread before you had it and could post a pic, didn't ya? Ok so now I wait! [emoji19]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Cheapshooter

Consignment gun, so no real avenue for getting the price lower.
Not at my evil gunshop lady's shop. She just calls the consignee with my offer. She either gets a yes, no, or in most cases a counter offer.

Let's face it, $300 for a Model 38 is a rocking good deal.

In Northern Virginia, it's an incredible deal. It's not uncommon at all to see (when you actually do, which is uncommon) a humpback going for double that, or more, even ones in mediocre shape.

upstate81

Same around here mike. I traded into a model 49 no dash that was priced at 499. I paid 500 fot what i traded. I thought that was a great deal. Not to mention the gun has been refinished in a more matte finish.

Got it.

It's pinned, and scuffed up a bit on the topstrap and trigger guard. The barrel is going plum colored, but overall, it's in decent condition.

It's a straight Model 38, and has ragged out Pachmayer replacement grips on it. Those will go straight away.

Now I just have to figure out when it was made.

amd6547

Take a look at the frame under the forcing cone...Airweight ' s are known to crack there. It's why I don't shoot mine much.

psyfly

Now I just have to figure out when it was made

Jim will tell you if you post up in the first Revolver Forum Sticky.

Mine was made in 1973 and I paid a lot more for it than you did for yours and I thought I got a bargain.

I'll post a pic if you will

Will

I'll look up the serial number when I get home.

No cracks. In fact it doesn't appear that it has been shot all that much.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

jetinteriorguy

I got lucky last spring and scored a bucket gun. Picked up a nice 4" Model 57 no dash for $900.00. Now I just need a Model 27, and a Model 15, both in 4" and I'm set.

OK, it looks like my 38 was made in 1975 or 1976.

What I didn't realize is that the straight model 38 was made from 1957 until the barrel pin was dropped in 1982 (38-1). That may be the longest unaltered run for any version.

One thing that concerns me is that the cylinder bolt is quite loose in the frame window, and that allows more cylinder wobble than I like. I may have to see about installing a new bolt

As far as I can tell, the side play has never been off. I didn't take the grips off last night, but the one sideplate screw that is visible is perfect -- no indication that it was ever touched with a screwdriver, and there's no ridge on the sideplate.

It came with a clapped out set of Pachmayers, which have got to go. They don't fit well, and I've never liked Pachmayers. I'm going to go with a set of Hogue bantams.

It also doesn't appear to have been shot much at all over its life.

There's the normal finish wear that you'd expect from a gun that's been carried.

All in all, I'm very happy with this purchase.

amd6547

I have tried various grips on my Model 38, and find I prefer the small Magna wood grips with a T-grip adaptor.

psyfly

All in all, I'm very happy with this purchase

I’ll just bet. The ridiculously low price is icing: You’d have been pleased even if you’d had to pay more.

You really need to do something nice for your friend.

My 1973 M38. I bought it after seeing a (very crude) photo online and it turned out to look much better in person. The Bantams are an excellent choice BTW:

attachment.php

Now show us.

Please.

w