Jogging gun???

branrot

I went jogging for the first time in a while. I grabbed my Sig 229 because that's what was loaded, and put it into my nylon fanny pack. Well, needless to say, it was a little heavy with all the bouncing inherent to jogging.

My question is, what would be a good gun to carry jogging and how would you carry it?

Now, I'd rather not buy any new guns (well, actually I would but there is that money issue). Guns that I have which may fit the bill are a S&W 342ti and a PSP-25. The next size up is a S&W model 60 and a Walther PPK. Next up is a midsize polymer gun (G23 or P99). Everything else is probably too big.

I would consider buying a new type of holster if I found something I really liked (ie, another fanny pack or belly band, etc.). I would also consider a relatively inexpensive gun like a Kel-Tec P11. I'm also interested in the Taurus Millenium Titanium when it comes out (although I'm not a big Taurus fan). Finally, I'd prefer a semi-auto to a wheelgun.

deanriggs

branrot,

The Kel-Tec P-32 is my choice for jogging carry. It is much better in this regard than the P-11.

--Dean

legion3

How about a NAA Guardian in 32-although its a bit heavier than the Kel Tec 32 it is all metal and perhaps more durable. Or the Kel Tec 32 given its weight or one of the NAA Mini-Revolvers in .22 Magnum. All are generally light weight and easy to conceal and under the cost of the guns you mentioned. Particually the mini-revolvers. for general jogging you probably won't need more than this-unless you jog in the woods or in isolated places.

denfoote

How about a Glock 26?

------------------
BOYCOTT SMITH AND WESSON!!!
Defend the Constitution from the foreign threat!!!!

jthuang

For jogging, lighter is better. Less bouncing around and all.

I use a Kel-Tec P32 and occasionally a S&W M342 AirLite Ti. I considered a mini-Glock but a fully loaded G26 or G27 is too heavy. Experimented with my G19 (21 oz unloaded vs 20 oz unloaded for the G26) and it was not workable.

Justin

------------------
Justin T. Huang, Esq.
late of Kennett Square, Pennsylvania

Gino

I needed to buy a "dog walking" gun for the summer. It had to be in a caliber that would be effective against other dogs (bad in my neighborhood), and be able to handle the sweat from a Florida summer afternoon.

I finally went with a G26 cause it was the lightest gun that could handle the sweat and still carry a decent round. I carry it in a belly band and am pleased so far.

branrot

JThuang: How do you carry your 342ti when you jog? I happen to have one handy (although it's on its way to S&W to tighten the barrel shroud), but don't think I can carry such a gun in a fanny pack. Also, does it bounce around too much?

jthuang

The P32 is carried Spyderco-style using Kel-Tec's belt clip. Great for summer jogging.

The M342 is used sparingly for cold weather jogging. I have tried carrying this gun in my fanny pack and found it unworkable (because it bounces too much). Instead, I wear it in a Kramer Confidant shirt holster, underneath a snap-open windbreaker. Should trouble rear its ugly head, I rip open the windbreaker (snaps make this easier than a zipper) and I can get to my gun.

HTH,

Justin

------------------
Justin T. Huang, Esq.

voodoo

Get one of those cd/cassette player fanny packs that are made out of neoprene. They are made to fit snug against the body, and the elasticity of the neoprene keeps the firearm relatively close to your body as well. Get a cheap pair of headsets, run the wires into your pack, and no one will ever know!!! :D

I think that the Taurus P-111 with a titanium slide would be great if you want hardly any weight, also the revolvers are good to. Hope this helps.

------------------
AK-47, When you absolutely have to kill every mother&%$#er in the room...accept no substitutes.

Tecolote

Nothing I've tried has worked. After the third mile in a five mile run everything becomes unbearable.

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.

johnwill

Hard to imagine that you couldn't carry the Keltec P32 jogging, I drop mine in my pocket and I forget I have it.

branrot

Well, I went jogging again today. This time, I brought my PPK instead of the P229 (I seem to like guns that start with P: PPK, P99, P229, PSP-25, and P13.45). I had to adjust the straps in my fanny pack, but after I pulled it tight it wasn't too bad.

Anyway, I think I'm going to stick with the PPK in the fanny pack for now. Of your suggestions, I like the Kel-Tec .32 or 9mm, and the Taurus Titanium... when finances allow, of course.

JimFox

I'd recommend a belly band, cinched above the belt line, and it should handle anything you have - though lighter is better.

------------------
Jim Fox

branrot

JimFox: Although I've never worn one, my problem with the belly band is that I don't want to ruin any guns by sweating all over them, and I get the feeling the band is hot (especially when exercising). Comments?

jthuang

If you get a P32, check with Jack Fusilier on the KTOG (http://www.ktog.org). He will nickel plate your slide for something like $20. This will help guard against corrosion.

I find that my gun (and my Spyderco Delicas) is faring fine -- I just have to wipe them down and rinse them with water after each run.

Justin

------------------
Justin T. Huang, Esq.

Tecolote

I guess it depends where you live, but in my neck of the woods running with a belly band would lead to cardiac arrest. It's so hot that even the light running clothes I wear chafe unbearably towards the end of a run. The hot and humid climate is one reason no gun has worked. Fanny packs are uncomfortable, I won't go near a belly band, and I use shorts without pockets. So I guess I'm out of luck. Myabe I should get a Rhodesian Ridgeback to keep me company.

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.