Jogger glad she had her Glock

FITASC

http://ijr.com/2016/07/653498-men-p...-convo-ends-quickly-when-she-pulls-out-a-gun/

Men Pull Up to a Jogger & Ask Her Creepy Questions. The Convo Ends Quickly When She Pulls Out a Gun

Feeling like she had gotten herself in a bad situation, Brooks stopped running and got into a defensive stance. She tells Independent Journal Review:

“I stood with my left hip leading and pulled my shirt over my firearm and placed my hand on the grip of my handgun.”

When the men in truck saw that she had a gun in her shorts, they instantly drove away.

Running at night isn't the safest time of day, but glad she was prepared and ready to use it.

Minorcan

I'm glad she is alright but showing and/or drawing a firearm in a non-life threatening incident in some states, like Florida, can result in a Felony charge of Aggravated Assault with a Deadly Weapon.

Sharkbite

The unfortunate thing is MOST of these events dont make the news, are NOT recorded in any statistics data base and are therefor NOT searchable in the hopes of showing how often a concealed pistol is actually used to "protect" civilians.

It does NOT have to end in shots fired to be the saving factor in an attack

Skans

I'm glad she is alright but showing and/or drawing a firearm in a non-life threatening incident in some states, like Florida, can result in a Felony charge of Aggravated Assault with a Deadly Weapon.

What took place in the reported scenario is more than enough for me to put my hand on the grip of my gun, especially if I was a woman. Whether the gun was showing or not wouldn't be much of a concern for me.

TMD

Something tells me when those good ol' boys drove away they didn't head to the nearest police department to report her.

K_Mac

It does NOT have to end in shots fired to be the saving factor in an attack.

Absolutely. Displaying her handgun and an attitude that she was willing and able to use it stopped these guys from further harassment, and possibly an attack. There may be places where this would be prosecuted, but it is hard to imagine a woman legally carrying being charged under these circumstances. Heaven help help us if there is. Allowing the situation to escalate and then shooting doesn't seem preferable to me.

Minorcan

Skans and TMD, I agree but I was just pointing out people need to be aware of the local laws. I would hope she would not be charged but my big concern is that such stupid legal limitations and concerns are even there. An aggravated assault charge is a bit much for showing especially if no shots were fired. I can't believe any DA or LEO would charge her but the possibility it can happen is there.

TheGunGeek

I just completed my CCW certification last week. The instructor gave an estimate of 350,000 unreported events annually where a life is saved or harm avoided without having to fire. That said you have to be very careful to stay within the bounds of the law.

And, if they were just creepy and not meaning to attack her...

Once she puts her hand on the gun, if they draw and fire who is at fault?
Male or female gripping a firearm is not something to be done lightly.
There are organizations that see gripping a firearm as immediate escalation of response force to deadly force.

TheGunGeek

I agree, and in my opinion it was an unnecessary escalation at that point. It was good that she was armed and in a position to defend herself if needed, but you don't want to pull or display a weapon unless there is a definite threat.

Last edited:

cw308

Only she knows. It happened to me, walking through a project in Astoia NY at 2:30 am . The Person appeared from nowhere from my left side. He seemed to be 1" from the side of my face. I was carrying a 45Colt Commander on my right hip, was adle to pull the auto, lean slightly back & stick the barrel in the middle of his forehead. For that second it seemed like time stopped. He made a sound & left just as fast. You have a sense when things are dangerous. Playing it back in my mind, he still had the advantage because I carry with one in the tube with the hammer down. Shock I guess gave It a good ending. Same with her, at that moment your not worried about legal matters. Just leave me alone.

Grizz12

And, if they were just creepy and not meaning to attack her...

Once she puts her hand on the gun, if they draw and fire who is at fault?

I agree, and in my opinion it was an unnecessary escalation at that point. It was good that she was armed and in a position to defend herself if needed, but you don't want to pull or display a weapon unless there is a definite threat.

She felt threatened and drew her weapon, whats the problem? How many women did Ted Bundy kill and more importantly how did he approach them?

If the bad guys in the story were just a bunch of dumb kids acting stupid, I can pretty much guarantee you they will think twice about harassing another woman.

If they did have bad intentions, they will change their ways on the next woman they decide to attack...

Lohman446

Most two legged predators are like four legged predators. They are not hunting you in particular they are looking for a weak target. If you specifically are being targeted, and routinely go into public areas, it is very likely you are rather screwed.

The jogger responded with the min. level of force to avoid the imminent threat of kidnapping. I am fairly certain, even if the men in the truck were perfectly innocent and went to the police, no action would be taken.

Snyper

She felt threatened and drew her weapon, whats the problem? How many women did Ted Bundy kill and more importantly how did he approach them?
She never drew her weapon.

She did what she thought was best, and it ended the threat she perceived

People over analyze everything because of the internet.

the imminent threat of kidnapping.
Or the imminent threat of someone trying to steal an Iphone.
Or the imminent threat of some hillbillies building a good story about the city chic lost in the country on her run for their next trip to the honky tonk.
Or a million other harmless things.
If there was actually an imminent threat of kidnapping her decision was poor. She should have pulled and fired.
My wife runs and guys try to talk to her all the time. She doesn't brandish a firearm in response.

...the two adult men started questioning the length and time of her run that she started getting a bad feeling about their intentions.
I would consider that small talk with a runner who happens to be stopped with me at a traffic light. I wouldn't think twice about discussing best routes in the area.

Like most news articles this one is shy of facts, but someone asking a runner how long and for how long they run is pretty normal.

He had a young male, about 5 years of age, in his lap.
I'm sure he wouldn't be the first 5 year old kept out lately to participate in the family tradition of kidnapping a random woman running... Well actually maybe he would.

Last edited:

HiBC

Of course.my opinion may not mean anything.The law is what matters,to a point.
If I am pulled over for my brake lights not working,the officer is giving me information that I need to fix them.Possibly I will get a ticket or a warning,but the officer is not approaching me because I have threatened anyone.

I will assume the officer may well have his hand on his holstered pistol.There is no threat to me,the officer is just prepared to react.

I believe the "Reasonable person" clause may come in here.

If I as a male approach a woman jogger with my hand on a firearm,there is a problem.

If I as a male approach a woman jogger,and she raises her shirt,placing her hand on her HOLSTERED firearm,I have received a clear message,her readiness is high,she feels threatened and is prepared to defend herself,

But the gun is still in the holster.It represents no immediate threat to me.

I recall one night about 2AM I was walking on the sidewalk in a Walmart parking lot.A carload of 5 young men pulled up and through the window asked me if I was a Ranger.I'm 64,bearded,and not athletic looking.I'm not a Veteran,and do not represent myself as one.I was wearing a Korean re-creation of a vintage field jacket.
These guys appeared to have been drinking.The thing is,when 5 guys suddenly approach a lone guy at 2AM and engage,its time for an elevated level of something.At the time,I recall wishing I had my Commander clone in my field jacket pocket,and my hand would have been on the grip.
A few sentences were exchanged,It went OK.They left.
Our jogger,and the LEO approaching a traffic contact, and myself approached at 2 AM stop,all,IMO,have "Reasonable Person" cause to have hand on pistol....but NOT to draw.

And on the "Reasonable Person" side of things, multiple people in a vehicle approaching a lone person score low.

I don't care what your motive or intent might be,no matter how innocent.
Consider the effect on the lone,vulnerable person.Use caution,get permission.Respect distance.

Its a lot like "Don't play with bear cubs in the woods" Even if you just think they are cute.

tlm225

Sometimes all it takes is a keyboard to make someone an expert. And they almost invariably point out "you could be charged/sued".

Look at this incident using the "totality of the circumstances"

Late night, deserted road, solo female jogger. Two males stop and engage her in conversation that is designed to determine how long she will be out on her run (i.e., how long would it be until her absence is noted.)

The presence of a five year old child? Not a factor. If this was an unforeseen opportunity for a rape the presence of a 5 year old would not be a deterrent. Far worse crimes have been carried out in the presence of children.

Under the circumstances she could reasonably perceive an imminent threat to her safety

Snyper

If there was actually an imminent threat of kidnapping her decision was poor. She should have pulled and fired.
Why should she shoot someone when she can stop the threat without firing a shot?

It's easy to second guess other's decisions.
She "should have" done exactly what she did, since she's the one making the decision.