Jerking the trigger

rwilson452

I took my grand nephew to the range today. I was giving him some marksmanship instruction. It didn't go so well. I can't get him to stop jerking the trigger. Anybody got a suggestion on how to get him to stop jerking the trigger? We were using my .22 Buckmaster.

mukwah

Maybe some dry fire practice. My grandson did that also six years ago when I started him shooting at age 10. Got him a finger exerciser from Academy Sports and had him practice slow squeeze on trigger finger only. Worked well for him.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

JT-AR-MG42

Does he understand the idea of trigger squeeze?

Several years ago at our outdoor public range, I observed a young lady with a Beretta 92
that was shooting offhand at 25 yds. with the bullets impacting at 12 yds.
Suggested she try sitting position at 12 yd. targets to get better familiar with her Father's old gun (he had passed).
Watching her, I could tell she was proficient in the pistol's mechanics but still no luck, as she did not hit either 14"x14" target at that distance.

She was frustrated, as I believe she had brought her father's memory along that day.

I mentioned squeezing the trigger to no avail, so then suggested we shoot a group together.

With her seated using a two hand hold from a bag, I had her load a single round and told her to line up the sights with her finger on the trigger.

Kneeling beside her while avoiding any other body contact, I placed my finger into the guard over hers and squeezed off the shot.
Proceeded to do so four more times that produced a nice tight cluster.

It was like someone turned on a light for her, NOW she understood what squeezing the trigger meant!
Went on to shoot pretty decent for the remainder of her time there.

Nothing to lose by trying that.

JT

Frank Ettin

Administrator
rwilson452 said:
....I can't get him to stop jerking the trigger....

How do you describe a trigger press? The way things are explained, and the words used, can make a difference. Words have meanings; different words are understood differently; and the different ways different words are understood can translate to performing the actions described by those words differently.

I'm with a group of instructors who put on monthly Basic Handgun classes. Many of our student had never touched a gun before. This is essentially how we explain trigger control:

1. The first principle of accurate shooting is trigger control: a smooth press straight back on the trigger with only the trigger finger moving. Maintain your focus on the front sight (or the reticle if using a scope) as you press the trigger, increasing pressure on the trigger until the shot breaks. Don't try to predict exactly when the gun will go off nor try to cause the shot to break at a particular moment. This is what Jeff Cooper called the "surprise break."

2. By keeping focus on the front sight and increasing pressure on the trigger until the gun essentially shoots itself, you don’t anticipate the shot breaking. But if you try to make the shot break at that one instant in time when everything seem steady and aligned, you usually wind up jerking the trigger.

3. Of course the gun will wobble a bit on the target. It is just not possible to hold the gun absolutely steady. Because you are alive, there will always be a slight movement caused by all the tiny movement associated with being alive: your heart beating; tiny muscular movements necessary to maintain your balance, etc. Try not to worry about the wobble and don’t worry about trying to keep the sight aligned on a single point. Just let the front sight be somewhere in a small, imaginary box in the center of the target. And of course, properly using some form of rest will also help minimize wobble.

4. In our teaching we avoid using the words "squeeze" or "pull" to describe the actuation of the trigger. We prefer to refer to "pressing" the trigger. The word "press" seems to better describe the process of smoothly pressing the trigger straight back, with only the trigger finger moving, to a surprise break.

When teaching shooting to someone with no experience one thing we need to teach is how to apply pressure to the trigger to make the gun fire, but without disrupting the alignment of the gun on target. It's easy to make the gun fire if you don't care about hitting what you want to hit. It's hard, at least for many, to do so without causing the gun to go off target. So we need to find ways to explain the way to make the gun fire without disrupting it, and we need find ways to do so that help the student translate the description into consistent, repeatable action.

We've found in our classes that using the concepts I outlined abouve really do work. This group (six rounds at seven yards) was fired during the last part of the live fire period at one of our Basic Handgun classes. It was fired by a middle aged woman who attended our class with her two adult daughters. She had never fired a handgun before our class; she had fired a rifle only a few times. It was fired with a Ruger Red Hawk -- three rounds in .44 Special and three in .44 Magnum.

And here is one of her daughters looking with an instructor at a group of six shots she had just fired at seven yards with a Colt Python (three rounds of .38 Special and three of .357 Magnum). She had never fired a gun before.

While everyone doesn't do that well pretty much everyone is shooting 2 to 2.5 inch groups -- even those students with no prior experience. On occasion we have student who doesn't seem to be getting it. In those situations the technique described by JT-AR-MG42 -- the instructor pressing the trigger over the trigger finger of the student -- works very well.

jmhyer

Yes...dry fire. Have him observe you first. He will watch how you gradually squeeze the trigger until the hammer/striker falls and he should note how the front site never moves during the whole process. Then have him do it while you observe. Once he's consistently dropping the hammer without the front site moving, then transition to live fire, emphasizing that he pretend he's dry firing, to reproduce the same mechanics. Remember, too, that good hearing protection (and/or a suppressor) will help to avoid flinch.

rwilson452

Frank,

In the past I was a Basic Rifle Instructor.. He starts out with a nice smooth trigger "squeeze". The he jerks it the rest of the way. One thing I have inferred is he just lacks the patience to continue a smooth pull on the trigger and snaps it all the way. I had him use my S&W Mod. 67 with it not loaded in all chambers. He can see the results. The I had him use it in double action mode. A lot smoother but then retrogresses. Sadly, He will only be here with me for a short time. I was hoping for a quicker fix. The job may remain incomplete. It is frustrating.

Ricekila

Squeeze the trigger slow enough so when it goes off -- its a surprise :eek:

Some dry firing with eyes closed helps finger memory / feel - :D

old bear

JT-AR-MG42, if no one else has said it yet, Good for you sir, you did a great thing helping the lady, the way you did.

Frank Ettin

Administrator
rwilson452 said:
....He starts out with a nice smooth trigger "squeeze". The he jerks it the rest of the way. One thing I have inferred is he just lacks the patience to continue a smooth pull on the trigger and snaps it all the way....

Very likely. It's one of the more common problems students have. Surprisingly I've had good success just pointing that out to the student when I see it and reminding the student to be patient and wait for the shot

NoSecondBest

I've trained a lot of handgun shooters over the years, and I have been very successful with most who have this problem. I do several things differently than most instructors when trying to stop this behavior. First off, let me say that I believe most of this is due to the autonomic nervous system kicking in on new shooters (sometimes older shooter too) and when it kicks in adrenaline starts to kick in before the trigger squeeze is completed and all fine motor skills are lost at that point....you get the jerk you're referring to. Here's what I suggest:
1) Have the shooter put in ear plugs and then have them put muffs on top of the plugs.
2) DO NOT have them aim at a target. That's not really what you're trying to accomplish at this time.
3) Have them walk up to the berm or backstop with NO TARGET and simply point the gun at a barren backstop.
4) Instruct them to slowing squeeze the trigger while their attention is focused on the front of the barrel.
5) Explain to them you simply want them to squeeze the trigger until the gun goes off while their attention is focused on the barrel.
The point of this exercise is to remove the expectation of hitting the target and to simply overcome the recoil (very slight to us, not always to them), and believe it or not, the noise from the shot.
The autonomic nervous system is the bane to many shooters. It overrides the conscious nervous system when under any kind of stress. Here the stress is the challenge of hitting the target and the surprise of the shot. You need to get past both of those obstacles before the can shoot well. The double hearing protection covers one and the shooting at the blank berm/backstop covers the other. They will soon start making the gun go off without jerking the trigger, and the noise/recoil will be less intimadating. After a number of successes at breaking the trigger correctly you can put a target up and have them try again. Good luck.

CDR_Glock

I took my grand nephew to the range today. I was giving him some marksmanship instruction. It didn't go so well. I can't get him to stop jerking the trigger. Anybody got a suggestion on how to get him to stop jerking the trigger? We were using my .22 Buckmaster.

I watch the technique prior to live fire (dry firing with snap caps) before we go live. Then I put a dime on the top and tell them to pull the trigger. If they jerk, I have them repeat with the dime. If that doesn't work we step back to the 10/22 rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rangerrich99

Probably you already tried this, but have you tried having him use a count?

I had my nephew and niece start a '30 second' silent count when they got the sights aligned on the bullseye. As they count I told them to gradually squeeze the trigger. Of course they never get to 30. I just told them that they were going to get the sights on the bullseye and start counting to 30. And while they were counting they should gradually squeeze the trigger harder and harder.

Usually the first couple times they would get to 5 or even ten, but after awhile they'd break the trigger by 2 or 3. And because they were focused on counting, it virtually eliminated jerking. Within ten minutes they were both shooting a lot better.

Fla_dogman

I had a bunch of blanks I used to break my nephew from jerking the trigger. It worked. To this day he still comments on how it impressed him to pay attention to his trigger pull

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

tangolima

Some, myself included when I first started, jerk the trigger because they want to get it over with. It could be excitement of firing a gun or the fear of the consequence of.

Getting the shooter used to the mechanism and having something to put his focus on is the key. Dry fire and focus on sight picture, especially the front sight. There should be no change in the sight picture when the gun fires. Keep practicing till it happens.

-TL

bamaranger

How old is this nephew......maybe I missed it? If he's a younger fellow.....?

Is it possible that patience is not the issue, and that the fellow is flinching/jerking because he's a bit intimidated? Perhaps because of initial exposure to firearms and young age?

Too, if he's younger and came up on video games as many have, nailing the button on a game has little consequence, likely repeated thousands of times. A real trigger is not so forgiving.

All this stated with good intentions....not being critical.

ammo.crafter

trigger

The shooting hand has only a single function; to slowly pull the trigger.

The offhand simply holds the weight of the gun.

Give it a try.

sorefoot

I had a bunch of blanks I used to break my nephew from jerking the trigger. It worked. To this day he still comments on how it impressed him to pay attention to his trigger pull

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

This or dummy rounds. You might think he's mashing the trigger only but he could be also flinching and you aren't seeing it during the recoil of the gun. With my daughter I have a few dummy rounds made up that I'll mix in as she's shooting. I've seated bullets in them and filled the case with sand so everything sounds the same as I'm putting it in the gun so she can't tell the difference.

When my daughter first started shooting she would do the same thing with the trigger, stage it and then smash it. When I asked her what she was doing she said she was, "just trying to get it over with" meaning the recoil. She's much better now but even still, when we go to the range it might be 10 live rounds and 30 or 40 clicks of a dummy round.

The last thing I can recommend that I didn't see above is to have him progressively press the trigger and let off 4-6 times, each time with increasing pressure until the shot breaks. It helps if you can engage him in conversation (about anything) while he's doing this so he isn't consciously trying to make the shot break in the prescribed number of trigger squeezes but is rather just squeezing the trigger with increasing pressure until the shot breaks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk