Jeff Cooper

Single Six

What I don't understand is this business about Suarez, who at one time was Cooper's protege. Heck, I have one of Suarez's early books, and it reads exactly like Jeff Cooper material. Why is he critical of Colonel Cooper?

radom

Probably due to bad luck. Cooper was the only gunery officer in WW-2 to have a battleship totaled out on his watch post pearl harbor.

RickB

That's interesting; what responsibility does a Marine officer have for gunnery on a battleship?

SPEMack618

During WWII, one side of a Battleship's secondary armament, five-inch guns, would be manned by the ship's Marine detachment. These guns often had the Eagle, Globe and Anchor painted on the side.

During, WWII the five-inch gun was heavily used in the anti-air and shore bombardment role.

I know nothing of the man personally, but I have read a few of his books. He seems to be very opinionated and some of his advice is now antiquated, but he strikes me as a "call it as he sees it" type guy and that I have to respect. His humor shines through quite well and he speaks of a time when men were more honorable. I particularly enjoyed "To ride, shoot straight, and tell the truth".

covert

Having been back to Gunsite twice within a year (November and May), I was really impressed with the way the school was run, the quality of instruction, etc. The lecture on mindset was played, with comments from real-world instructors who know their stuff. If you are on the fence about investing in training there, I say go for it. The town of Chino Valley has grown, and there are decent motels to stay in, and everything else you could need.

44 AMP

Staff
I grew up reading Cooper, Keith, Skelton, Askins, Jordan, and everyone else that was or had written from the 50s on up. If you want some fun, go back today and read them. Most are what would be generously called opinionated today.

Those old time writers would often tell you flat out what was good for something and what wasn't. Period. And often in a highly colorful manner.

One writer I recently reread stated that the only reason there were still any deer in the US was the poor sights on Winchster and Marlin lever guns! (slight paraphrase). Now, that's an opinion!

Coooper's style was never lowest common denominator. If you had trouble with that, you were free to go your own way. He put things the way he saw them, and while I don't think he was 100% right all the time, he wasn't 100% wrong, either.

If he liked something, it was good (and it usually was good) and if he didn't, you weren't going to convince him it was good, and he didn't care to waste time allowing the attempt. Not an unheard of trait in men of his generation.

never met him, except through his writings, but if I had, I'd tell him, "Thank you!"

FMJ1911

Cooper's book on self-defense is a real gem. I highly recommend everyone read it.

He deals with mindset.

Classic Cooper.

arch308

I always enjoyed Cooper's Corner in Guns & Ammo magazine. In fact when the mag arrived in the mail I would flip to the back to read Cooper first. He was always good for a little insight and humor.

I miss those days.

BitterTait

Working my way through Cooper's "The Art of the rifle", I credit his book (and a non-windy day) for my first 50-yard dime sized group.