J frame in front pocket?

stevieboy

Well, the obvious question, guys, is does anyone ever ask you if that's a gun in your pocket or are you just glad to see her?:D

jglsprings

Well, the obvious question, guys, is does anyone ever ask you if that's a gun in your pocket or are you just glad to see her?

Only when I'm carrying my Model 29 8-3/8 inch "Wand of Callahan".

Pointer

Do any of y'all carry a J-frame in the front pocket for CC?

Yes. I've carried an 042 for years that way, in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster.

Plus 1

I've carried the alloy S&W Model 638 "Bodyguard AirWeight" in that same UM pocket holster...

I have four friends who do the same... when it's not in the briefcase, it's in the pocket... another friend likes ankle holsters, maybe because it helps keep his socks up. :D

Last edited:

9mm1033

Yes, a M36 in a DeSantis Nemesis in front jeans pocket. Then I dropped a Ruger LCP in my pocket at a gun store. That's what I carry now. Many carry a J frame. No one will know unless you tell them.

skydiver3346

Pocket Carry:

My model 442 Smith fits just fine in my front pocket when I decide to pocket carry. Can't hardly feel it and/or notice it much, especially with jeans. Its pretty light, even when loaded (which is all the time).

bikerbill

When I carry my 637, it's in a Nemesis in my right front pocket ... no way will it fit in any jeans pocket I own, but it pulls an amazing disappearing act in cargo shorts, in the slash pocket, not the cargo pocket ... j-frame's not my favorite SD gun (my regular carry is a Kahr PM-9) but it does go with me sometimes ...

Brian48

I do this in the summer time when wearing baggy shorts. After a while, the linen insides of the pockets get a little worn from all the rubbing, but that's about the only issues I've had carrying this way. It's completely invisible to everyone.

lwestatbus

3" Smith Model 60 in pocket

I live in Florida and am in shorts 80% of the time I am carrying a firearm. While I prefer IWB I have a lot of trouble with blowing shirt tails and sometimes just need to be in a polo shirt or tucked in dressier shirt. I used to carry a PPKS but I've had two failures (at the range) and just stopped trusting it. I also don't care for snubbies--just a personal preference. I shopped a LOT and selected a 3" S&W Model 60 with fully adjustable sights and exposed hammer. I ordered a custom pocket holster from Andrew's Custom Leather. I also have to shop carefully for shorts with the right kind of pocket. RedHead brand from Bass Pro Shops has canvas shorts with deep bellows patch pockets. They are canvas so wear well and are deep enough so I don't worry about exposing the grip. The holster doesn't print hardly at all and the shorts are not so loose that I get a lot of flopping from the revolver.

The salesman was shocked when I told him I wanted to put it in my pocket. He said it wasn't a pocket pistol. I didn't say anything, but its a pocket pistol now.

BTW: My IWB carry is often a Smith Model 60 with a 5" barrel.

bdb benzino

I recently bought a S&W 638 and have tried pocket and IWB carry. Both are nice, but I prefer IWB. Eventhough it is wider than my Kahr CW9, it is lighter and less noticeable for me. Loving this J frame:cool:!!

Casimer

So where you are carrying the j-frame in the pocket, do y'all still wear a gunbelt?

A belt helps with the heavier j-frames, to keep your pants up.

But you don't need a proper gun belt.

I don't need a belt for airweights.

jhvaughan2

holster in GA

I noticed the OP's location is in Georgia. Our current laws require you to carry in a holster even if you carry in a pocket. (This may change soon.) Small pocket holsters are available that also help protect the firearm and help the "printing" issue.
And contrary to what you might think. Most well made pocket holsters are built to be "sticky" on the outside and actually do stay in the pocket as the firearm is drawn.

Stainz

A 642 in a Robert Mika pocket holster, with either rounded or squared base - to match your usual front pockets - seemingly makes the sum of the components smaller than the 642 alone. It blends in, for sure. The belt of frictional material makes the holster stay put if you 'grab' the revolver, yet comes out without turning your pocket inside out when you need it.

I found Mr. Mika first for a similar, but custom-fit 2.5" hammerless L-frame - my 296. It had been an infrequent carry, needing either an OWB pancake on my belt, or a coat pocket. The Mika pocket holster permitted it to ride often, as the combo fit over half my britches' front pockets. I wanted 24/7 capability, so I ordered a 642 holster when I got that one for the 296. Within months, I had a 642-2 - and it rides there everywhere with me - unseen - dress pants or cargo pants. I even had it this AM at my church's mens breakfast - no one knew. Google Mika's pocket holsters for your J-frame - a true bargain.

Stainz

velocette

A Smith & Wesson J frame in a pocket with a Mika holster is kinda like Peanut butter & Jelly, or a 6 pak 'n a football game, a straight road & lot of horsepower. You know, matches made in heaven.

Roger

Chesster

Robert Mika makes a great holster and the $25 including shipping and personalized autograph is a nice touch. Back when he first got started, I could order on Friday and got my holster the next Friday in the mail. The last one took several months due to his backlog. THANKS A LOT INTERNET FORUMS!!!!! :D