J frame in front pocket?

dyl

Do any of y'all carry a J-frame in the front pocket for CC?

Is it possible? Is it obvious? :)

I'm thinking inside a pair of jeans or khaki shorts.

I appreciate your thoughts and experience.

Yes. I've carried an 042 for years that way, in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster.

Baggy is better, but it still hides pretty well even with tighter jeans.

As for shorts, the only problem I've ever had was with drop cut pocket shorts. It exposed the grip of my gun once when I was sitting on a dog park bench talking to another dog owner. She saw it, told me that I was showing, and went on with our conversation.

kraigwy

Thats the way I carry my 642, in my pants pocket, no holster. No body notices. Even my wife sometimes ask me if I forgot it, I didnt, its there, ALWAYS

Brandy

Yup, even carry it in Columbia fishing shorts, the

secret is a Dillon no print pocket holster that makes it invisible.
(Chief's Special c.1960 Airweight with CT Laser grips)

Chesster

That's the way I carry either a SMith 37/Colt Agent/ old Charter SS Undercover. You have to consider this when you shop for pants and the type of holster you choose is important.

Cool_Hand

I hate walking around with full pockets, even with baggy pants something as simple as climbing into the truck bed of a truck with a j frame in your front pocket is uncomfortable

azredhawk44

If I just can't find a way to carry my LW Commander IWB, then I tend to fall back to my 642, pocket carry, with an Uncle Mike's pocket holster.

It's a bit tight in blue jeans and not very quick to get to, but it's better than harsh words. In dockers or other looser pants it's pretty handy to get to.

Kreyzhorse

I can't carry a J-frame 637 Airweight in my pocket regardless of pants type. In jeans or dress pants, and I wear them baggy, it looks like I've got, well, a j-frame or at least my wallet in my front pocket.

Not to mention I don't feel that it's a discreet method of carry for me, I also find it damn uncomfortable.

Now I'm not saying it can't be done, lots of guys on here carry that way, I'm just saying it doesn't work at all for me.

only gun I've ever put in a pocket was a NAA Mini & that was in a pair of dress slacks ( which I don't wear any more often than I have to )...

my personal problem ( at least one of them :eek: ) is that I carry my wallet in one front pocket, & my keys & change in the other... no room in the wallet pocket & a danger of scratching, or wedging a dime or penny in somewhere in the other pocket...

some might say, to put that wallet in the back pocket... but I've never had my wallet lifted yet... so I like it where I've gotten used to it ( left front pocket )

I guess I prefer a high ride belt holster in my J frame size guns

Model-P

I carry my 438 in my front pocket every day, usually in jeans.

In baggy pants, it's not so obvious. In jeans, yes it is obvious there is something in your pocket, but with the right holster it isn't obvious it is a gun.

You have to remember that a lump in a pocket does not usually get people thinking "gun". Even when the gun prints, most people never notice. You know it's a gun, but a lump in a pocket just looks like a lump to everyone else, so no need to be too self-conscious about pocket carry. However, you want to do whatever you can to minimize the printing of gun-specific contours. Mine looks more like a wallet now that I have corrected the cylinder printing issue.
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4027800&postcount=32

A matte black framed gun with dull black rubber grips just look like a shadow from the top. A stainless gun with wood grips shout "GUN" to anyone catching a glimpse from the top. I do wish jean pockets were a little deeper, but with an all black gun and being conscious not to let anyone stand so close they can look down inside your pocket you will be fine.

chupps

I carry my 442 in my pocket nearly everyday. Usually in kakis with larger pockets. Very comfortable for me. Printing is not a problem. It does eliminate one pocket if you carry a bunch of other stuff. In shallower pockets it may be possible for someone to see the grip. I recommend using the black rubber grips instead of wood so it is not so obvious.

dyl

Thanks for the help guys. I'm glad to know it can be done.

While I was looking around for pocket guns I read a few opinions that the only real "pocket" guns were about .380 size or less and that the Kel-tec Pf-9 was the upper limit for size. I'm glad to hear the other side of the story.

Not to knock the PF-9 since I'm most likely going to end up with one of them too but probably after the J-frame. The power to size ratio is appealing.

Pocket carry just seems like it would be so convenient.
I too have to do something about the issue of keys in the right front pocket because that is where I used to carry them. A few weeks ago I started putting them in the left pocket with my wallet but sometimes I catch myself with them on the right.

So wallet + keys on the left means a big bulge there but that'll draw attention away from a bulge on the right :) right?

thanks again.

awdeity

Carried my 340PD in the winter in Gap Khakis front pocket. Gap seems to use a thicker cloth and their pants have deep pockets so there's no printing or butt showing.

jaybirdjtski

To digress, I have a little 380 auto but never felt good carrying it. Too many reports of malfunctions. American Rifleman had a cover story back in
the Feb 2010 edition and every brand tested except the Rohrbaugh ($1100+) exhibited malfunctions with factory ammo. Just what you need in an emergency.
I have a S&W Model 36, square butt, Chief's Special and it carrys very nicely wherever. J frame snubbies are sweet. I also have a Glock 26 and it carries very nicely, too, but only in a IWB holster for me.

Here's a site you might enjoy:
http://www.snubnose.info/

LafayetteLA

I used to carry my 642 in a Mika pocket holster in my front pocket. Sold my 642 and replaced it with a Ruger LCR - still using the same Mika holster in the same front pocket

Webleymkv

I've been carrying a S&W M36 in an Uncle Mike's Size 3 Pocket holster for a bit over a week now. The thing to remember about pocket carry is that there will be a bulge in your pocket and it will be obvious that something is in there. However, so long as that something doesn't obviously look like a gun, most people won't give it a second thought. Honestly, I don't think that the revolver makes any bigger bulge nor does it feel any heavier than all the junk in my left front pocket (keys, pen, cigarette lighter, and folding knife).

VHinch

Frequently. When in shorts in the summer (which is most of the time) my backup is a J frame in my weak side pocket.

dyl

and now I have to ask...

So where you are carrying the j-frame in the pocket, do y'all still wear a gunbelt?