j frame grips

I have a model 60 and like the size of the standard grips with a tyler adapter. I carry mostly on my ankle in a renegade rig but i find the checkering a little annoying on my leg. Does anyone make a smooth replacment grip in inexpensive wood or black plastic? I don't want to spend 60 bucks for some exotic wood grips that look nice but will never be seen on my ankle. Thanks

whitebear

Hogue Grips

Check out the Hogue site at http://www.getgrip.com - from the home page, click "What's New" in the left frame. On the page that comes up, find the Bantam grip. It sounds like what you might be after.

I am not affiliated with Hogue in any way - just a happy user of their products.

Tony

Gunslinger

If you do not mind supposedly ruining the factory grips you may consider simply taking some sandpaper to them until they suit you. I file, fit and sandpaper all of the grips on my carry Smiths.

Watch-Six

I have such a grip in black plastic that I picked up at the local gun shop a few years ago. No matter what else I have tried, I keep coming back to this plain grip. Sorry, but I cannot remember the brand name. It was not one of the big names. At least you now know that it exists. Best. Watch-Six

VictorLouis

In Combat Handguns, there's a long-running ad for Secret Service grips. I cannot recall the maker, but they are styled like a 'Boot Grip' in smooth finished wood. Check your local newstand.:)

Watch six...if you ever happen to get by that gun shop, maybe the owner can let you know who makes those plastic grips...i searched all over but to no avail....

sox

Brownells offers a PGS Hideout grip for 15.00. You can get smooth or finger grooves. It fills the space like a tyler grip and the backstrap is left bare. These are great grips. You can also get them either textured-gently pebble like,or smooth. Goodluck

Thnaks sox...i searched brownell's but no luck..are they wood,plastic, or rubber? I only want wood or plastic since it's on my ankle and i don't want my pants riding up.....also, if they are what i am looking for, cn you suggest another supplier? thanks again

Dfariswheel

I just checked an older issue of Brownell's catalog:
They had a Precision Gun Specialties S&W hard plastic grip.
Brownell's #729-100-001 through -004 These are listed as nylon plastic in smooth, textured, fingerr groove smooth, and textured. List price-$15.00 Also for 'K' frame.

Hogue's also make a hard nylon grip, but I don't know if it fits the 'J'.

EDIT ADDITION:
I just got in Brownell's site. The above info is good. Check their manufacturer's listing for Precision Gun Specialities.

[Edited by Dfariswheel on 05-27-2001 at 03:32 PM]

found em, thanks...as for their size, do they go beyond the frame and do they have an open backstrap...i'm trying to keep the size relatively small, like my standard grips with tyler adapter....also, i see they are nylon, does it grab at all like rubber or do the clothes slide over them...thanks again

Dfariswheel

They should conceal just as well as the standard grip. They
have an open back strap.
Nylon grips are hard, they won't 'grab' your cloths like rubber. Also, since it's hard nylon, you can reshape them if needed.

MP-5

Yes they will. I have a pair on my 60, (smooth0 and they are GREAT! Some prefer the fingergroves, so to each his own! As Dfariswheel stated, they are hard plastic so to "printing" as the rubbers usually do! Enjoy!