Ivory Polymer Grips

Auto426

I have a park'd Springfield GI and I am looking to add a little personality to it with some different grips.

I have come to love the looks of ivory on a black 1911 (and on most guns in general), and was thinking about picking up a set for my GI. Real ivory is beautiful, but it just doesn't figure into my budget. Ivory polymer still looks good to me, and it's a fraction of the cost of the real thing.

I noticed that Hogue and Ajax seem to be the two major suppliers of ivory polymer grips out there, and was wondering what everyone here thought about them? What's the quality like on each?

Also, what do you prefer for ivory: smooth or double diamond? This is mostly a range pistol, and is not probably going to be shot a ton considering my schedule.

AK103K

I've bought a couple of faux stag and ivory grips from Ajax and wasnt happy with them. They look better in the pic than in real life.

The checkered faux ivory looks better than the smooth. The smooth just seems like cheap plastic panels. The checkered looks more finished. :)

DMacLeod

I like the ivory grips myself but have trouble parting with 2 bills for them. I was considering the polymers but happened upon these. They are made of water buffalo bone by a gentleman in Vietnam. Cost with shipping is approx 52 bux. I'll post a pic of them on my gold cup when they come in.
bufffbonegrips.jpg

DMacLeod

[/ Quote:
They are made of water buffalo bone by a gentleman in Vietnam

From these guys??!

Water_buffalo.jpg

Let us know if theyre natural or synthetic when you get them.

thanks
tom QUOTE]

no, these guys
vietnamwatterbuffalo.jpg

From what I have read on a 1911 forum he makes a great set of grips useing real bone or horn. Very interesting site. Will post a pic when I get them in about 2 or 3 weeks.

CraigC

Ivory polymer is cheap and tends to warp and crack. There are some good ivory substitutes on the market, some look very much like the real thing. The old Westinghouse paper micarta is tough to come by these days and really stands on its own, rather than as an ivory substitute. The new white micartas have no grain structure at all. I've got Eagle's UltraIvory on my little Kimber and BarS TruIvory on my Cimarron 1872 Open Top. TruIvory will be my first choice from now on. Unfortunately the pictures don't reveal the pleasing grain structure and really don't do the grips justice.

Kimber%20Ultra%20-%20007.JPG

Open%20Top%2002.JPG

Kreyzhorse

I've bought a couple of faux stag and ivory grips from Ajax and wasnt happy with them. They look better in the pic than in real life.

I bought a pair of faux pearl from Ajax and wasn't happy at all. Looked good, but fit my Smith 637 badly, weren't evenly cut and refused to stay tight.

I'll never buy any thing from Ajax again.

DMacLeod

Here they are. Approximately 2 months door to door. Well worth the wait. Fit and finish are beautiful.

Picture posted as requested by a member a while back. (I said I would post a pic upon reciept)
buffalobone.jpg

Stevie-Ray

I disagree about the smooth finish and my ivory polymers are still holding up to the recoil of a 10mm for over 20 years, now. If it's true ivory polymer, it will yellow naturally, just like ivory, over time as the pic below shows. This is exactly what I wanted and I think it looks great. And I love the feel of smooth rather than checkered. The Rampant Colt was the icing on the cake for me. I firmly believe that some are selling "ivory polymer" grips that are simply white plastic. If it doesn't start yellowing, it's not ivory.

Edit: Whoa, this thread's old!:eek:

100_0465.jpg