It's time...

kilotanker22

I personally prefer the Savage 10 action to the Axis. It seems like the Axis bolt body is smaller in diameter than the 10. I have never measured that. Also I dislike the long action for short action cartridges. Reently I have played with a few and they do not feed as well. They always want to bind right as the cartridge slides into the chamber.

Although, at Walmart you can buy an Axis rifle for like $250. Probably be a good way to start.

If it were me though, I would personally look for a used model 11 or 10 rifle with the bolt face and action length you are looking for. My next one is gonna be a 270 wsm built on a model 110 action from the Engage line. (the new 110 is not actually a long action for short action cartridges) 28 inch Shilen select match barrel, Varmint Accutrigger and drop it into a GRS Berserk stock. It will cost me around $1200 to build it.

std7mag

Dang it, now i'm really debating 7mm SAUM!!!
Stag,
Standard magnum bolt head from like the 111. You have to shorten the shank on the bolt head to match. I'm told go for 0.050" firing pin protrusion.

I'm going shopping with Reynolds!!

ocharry

here is Hannibal Missouri

the regular axis with the black plastic stock and skinny barrel was on sale for a long time and im sure still is for $249

the heavy barrel axis with plastic stock was or is $398,,,not sure if that one was axis or axis II,,

if i could have got the heavy barrel in 243 from them i would have owned one ,,,but they dont carry it that way,,,they do in the skinny barrel though

and then i found the 110 tactical,,,and it just kept talking in my ear,,,so thats where that story goes and thats what i got,,in 6.5 CM,,,more money but lots of good features

i just read you want an action,,,i dont think you gona find an axis any cheaper,,,maybe a used one,,maybe,,,believe me i was looking

ocharry

kilotanker22

here is Hannibal Missouri

the regular axis with the black plastic stock and skinny barrel was on sale for a long time and im sure still is for $249

the heavy barrel axis with plastic stock was or is $398,,,not sure if that one was axis or axis II,,

if i could have got the heavy barrel in 243 from them i would have owned one ,,,but they dont carry it that way,,,they do in the skinny barrel though

and then i found the 110 tactical,,,and it just kept talking in my ear,,,so thats where that story goes and thats what i got,,in 6.5 CM,,,more money but lots of good features

i just read you want an action,,,i dont think you gona find an axis any cheaper,,,maybe a used one,,maybe,,,believe me i was looking

ocharry
I have the Savage 110 Tactical Desert and very much like it. I feel like the Varmint Accutrigger and the Accifit Stock with the aluminum mini chassis is well worth the extra expense. For $620 it is a darn good value. It's also a half minute gun with several factory ammo choices.

To the OP, I was at Walmart this morning. Here in PA they have a stainless Axis rifle in .308 for $296 and a blued one for $246 I would wager that your local Walmart would be similar.

std7mag

Well, i've had a change of direction on the action front.
I'm going to end up taking the Stevens 200 apart, and use that action. I'll save my 250 Savage barrel and if another action comes along i'll screw it onto that.
It was my primary coyote rifle and loaner gun. But i can use the Ruger 77 MKII in 257 Roberts for coyotes.
No, i don't loan that rifle out! ;)

Another reason to go with the 200 action is my stock choice. I've found several Choate stocks, but the screw spacing is different for the Axis action.

I contacted E.R. Shaw. They were my first choice for a barrel. But they will only do up to a 26" barrel. So i'm going with a Douglas instead. Talking with them, they are working with me on a 30" tube and with contours.