It's time...

std7mag

So i've finally decided that i need to build a dedicated range rifle. (Or 2 :D)
My first choice is on a Savage Axis action.
Model 10,12,16,Stevens 200 being my second picks.

Since i have the reamer, gages, and dies my first caliber pick is 7mm-08AI.
This will obviously be a heavy barrel 28" (30"?).

Second option is 7mm WSSM wildcat. I have access to chamber reamer and gages. Would either have to get blank die, have die reamer made, then ream die. Or expensive custom die, which i'm not really looking forward to. Plus form cases.

Opinions on build welcome. Yes, i'm set on a Savage action. Lol

This will be used mostly for informal range use, with 2, maybe 3, local F-Open matches, and a long range steel match or 2 thrown in per year.

Thanks!

Std7mag

std7mag

Heck, i can use my 4" 1911 in 45 ACP and save on the money/time of a build!
Smart a$$!! ;)

After bugetairy considerations, i've decided on the 7mm-08AI.

std7mag

Leave my quarter bore fetish outta this! :eek:
Oh, wait... :rolleyes:

I already have a 284 that i can't get 162gr bullets past 2,750 fps without showing signs of pressure.

And after burning the throat out of my 7mm-08AI, i've rebarreled it to 250 Savage.

I'm doing good, down to 7mmRem Mag, 284 Win, two 280 Rem. Jonesing for my 7mm-08 back.

Of course if i could get an extra Axis action or 2, then 25 Souper, 25-284 are still on the to do list.

I did find a Savage 112BVSS in 25-06 for $875. Don't see many of those on the firing line.

stagpanther

This beautiful axis 2 with wood stock in 25-06 which is a tack driver I found for $375 at one of my LGS's.

attachment.php

stagpanther

Grab a 7mil08, swing by, and we'll take care of that!
I have a 7mm--08 BLR, and she's staying that way.;) However, I'm very dissatisfied with the 350 legend Axis 2 I recently bought (mostly cause I think the cartridge itself is a dog) and will likely rebarrel it in the near future at some point.

reynolds357

I have a 7mm--08 BLR, and she's staying that way.;) However, I'm very dissatisfied with the 350 legend Axis 2 I recently bought (mostly cause I think the cartridge itself is a dog) and will likely rebarrel it in the near future at some point.
350 legend does not interest me, but its no dog. It can be a tack driver.

reynolds357

So i've finally decided that i need to build a dedicated range rifle. (Or 2 :D)
My first choice is on a Savage Axis action.
Model 10,12,16,Stevens 200 being my second picks.

Since i have the reamer, gages, and dies my first caliber pick is 7mm-08AI.
This will obviously be a heavy barrel 28" (30"?).

Second option is 7mm WSSM wildcat. I have access to chamber reamer and gages. Would either have to get blank die, have die reamer made, then ream die. Or expensive custom die, which i'm not really looking forward to. Plus form cases.

Opinions on build welcome. Yes, i'm set on a Savage action. Lol

This will be used mostly for informal range use, with 2, maybe 3, local F-Open matches, and a long range steel match or 2 thrown in per year.

Thanks!

Std7mag
You ruled the 7SAUM out?

stagpanther

It can be a tack driver.
It can be--but the PITA scale balances too much against it for me to be very much interested in it. To each their own as they say. ;) Ironically, I bought a 22 nosler barrel to replace the "problem child" 350 legend AR barrel I had. The principal lesson I learned from this experience is that I'm done with .224 bolt head compatible rebated rim cartridges in AR's.:D

Last edited:

std7mag

There's always the 25-45 Sharps, Stag.

Reynolds,
I do have a major interest in that cartridge! But for now, i already have dies, brass, reamer to do the 7mm-08AI.
Still may change directions to the 7mm SAUM.
Dang it, just when i thought my mind was made up..... :rolleyes:

stagpanther

Aaahhhh, to be single & have money for toys again...
LOL:D:D:D

BTW--I was checking out the alternative bolt heads for 110/axis--it's not clear to me that a .53x rim bolt head would work in a 110/axis without machining the receiver??

kilotanker22

For about the price of an Axis rifle. You can probably buy a model 10/110 action online with the bolt face you want already installed.