It may be a long wait for Springfield 1911 models

Johnc

I have been looking for a Mil Spec 1911 for a while now. No one has any in stock locally. Most dealers are telling me at least a month or so. I just emailed Springfield customer service. They say all their 1911 models are on backorder. New orders could take up to six months to fill.

WOW!

Sturmgewehre

My dealer is having trouble getting stock in too. He told me that their rep at SA told them there is a contract dispute with Imbel and new guns have pretty much stopped coming in the country until the contract issue is resolved.

I can't find any mention of this online and I've not contacted SA directly to confirm the story, so take it for what it's worth.

Darn, I should have asked more for that SA GI.45 I just sold. no wonder I received so offers from many interested people so quickly. :)

jdub1242

I just bought one from a dealer on gunbroker. He said they had plenty of 1911s in stock. But....that was a month ago.
All the while the zombies creep closer..........

nobrainer440

Yep. I'm trying to find a Mil-Spec. I e-mailed Springfield and they told me the same thing: "Delivery time will probably be about 6 months or longer."

Ughhhhh.

There is one shop in my area that has one, but they have it priced at nearly $800. Yikes. Not sure I want one quite that bad.

kristop64089

Yeah it's bad. I figure if I have to buy a Brazilian 1911, I'll get the PT1911.

Guess I'll get a new Springer later(or just forget it and get another DW)

stormyone

With the current buying frenzy, now is a terrible time to be unable to produce guns.

I think they are producing. Demand is higher than what they can supply.

I'd say its time to hire some 3rd shift employees and keep that gun making machine running 24/7!

azredhawk44

I'd say its time to hire some 3rd shift employees and keep that gun making machine running 24/7!

Think about what you're saying.

Get 3rd world Brazilian employees to enter the Imbel factory and agree to work nights.

How many skilled laborers want to work night shift?

You want to get that guy's gun in your gunshop of choice, or do you want the one made during daylight hours by the more experienced and capable craftsman?

I doubt Springfield is interested in losing their reputation for quality. They will find a way to make ends meet without getting substandard contract employees in Brazil.

Shadi Khalil

You want to get that guy's gun in your gunshop of choice, or do you want the one made during daylight hours by the more experienced and capable craftsman?

I want the experienced and capable craftsman.

I doubt Springfield is interested in losing their reputation for quality. They will find a way to make ends meet without getting substandard contract employees in Brazil.

Only time will tell. If this demand quota holds we will we what kind of comitment they have to quality. History tells us business ussually choose profit over quality and in alot of cases, safety.

KC Rob

Only the frames are made in Brazil, on CNC machines. The slides and internals are made and assembled here then mated to the frames. I don't think increasing frame production is going to send quality into the crapper. The third shift guy is pushing the same buttons the 2nd shift guy is.

I heard a different story over on 1911.org about the scarcity of S/A 1911's. Basically S/A is selling guns so fast they can't keep up with the orders. The profit margin on XD's is much greater than on 1911's so they are focusing on getting out the XD's while the buying frenzy is in still hot. When the inevitable AWB is put into effect, the 1911's will be unaffected so Springfield can go back to cranking out 1911's. This was per a conversation with a Springfield rep that a guy posted on the other forum.

My local gun store is trying to charge me $925 for the L/W Champions they have, but no one else has one so I am trying to find a used one before I have to go in there and bend over the counter!

MBRinTN

I was told once that Springfield makes their guns in bunches, and they are very frustrating to distributors and dealers; they will often only have a small percentage of their catalog available at any given time, at least in the 1911's. I had a stainless mil-spec on order for six months last year; finally gave up and picked up a Glock g30sf.

azredhawk44 said:
Think about what you're saying.
Get 3rd world Brazilian employees to enter the Imbel factory and agree to work nights.
How many skilled laborers want to work night shift?

This statement is so ridiculous, it's painful to even spend the time to respond. I wouldn't ever fly if I were you. Us grease monkeys work nights, weekends, holidays, and even weekend night shifts performing inspections and maintenance on aircraft. That's right, 24/7. Rotating shifts even. Somehow, people in my industry as well as other workers in other industries that make a living putting out a product work other than 9 to 5 without compromise to quality...

I'm with you, kristop. I think a DW is looking even better if I have to wait that long when I'm ready for another 1911....

ComradeBurg

I guess I got lucky. I went to my local dealer Friday and he had two Springfield 1911s that he just got in. I took the Mil-Spec off of his hands. I'm starting to think it was a good idea that I got it when I did.

DieHard06

johnc,

I saw a springfield milspec 1911 at a gunshop here for $575 on Saturday. It is in a small shop that is out of the way and the gun has been sitting on the shelf for more than a year now. If you want to drive west for a hour and a half and can buy a gun in PA, it is there.

Johnc

DieHard, Thanks I actually know the Easton area and have been there. I have family in the ABE area. I also have a PA license. If you have the name of the shop I would call them. Some shops call the GI the Mil Spec. The actual Mil Spec that I am looking for is the PB9108LP. If you would be so kind as to PM me I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks again.

Andrewh, Thanks also. Plano is a bit of a haul. However, if all else fails perhaps I could have it shipped up.

rugernut

sure does goes in spirts--here in ft worth at the gun show i saw 2 trps and a trophy match --been a while since i seen them