It Is My Birthday This Thursday

Eddiejoe

Great suggestions! Thanks everyone!
As it is, my wife got a Ruger LCPII.
I'm still in search of a new one for me. Maybe at Christmas.

Pistoler0

New chainsaw,huh? You might hold off that handgun.
Hauling firewood,you might need a new one ton 4x4 turbo diesel pickup.

Which can pull a firewood trailer. Might as well go 5th wheel.

You'll need a good splitter,too.

And then the big metal building, Can't have all that stuff and the cordwood out getting wet.

Oh...on that pickup. Your local Ford dealer has a special deal going right now,

Buy a new truck,they give you a free dog.

It comes in handy to have a loyal ,cheerful friend to walk home with.
I like how you think, HiBC.

JDBerg

If recoil from a .45 ACP 1911 bothers you, a Gen4 Glock 21 might not be so objectionable. The replaceable back strap on my Gen4 G-21 does seem to mitigate the recoil a bit.

HighDesert

I’m in the buy the original caliber camp. With so many 9mm options, I’d stick with a .45 in 1911. They don’t all have the same recoil. Brand and model and material made a big difference. My wife can shoot a full size Dan Wesson steel frame just fine and she’s 5’ 2” with small hands and recoil sensitive. An Officer edition is way too hard hitting for her in contrast. She’s shot other makes and felt uncomfortable with them.

If it’s going to be a 1911 “style”, then STI 2011 in 9mm all the way. If it can be a bit of a hybrid than Dan Wesson DWX. Both have as close to zero felt recoil as they come, double stack magazines, comfortable, gorgeous and a joy to shoot.

jetinteriorguy

I’m in the buy the original caliber camp. With so many 9mm options, I’d stick with a .45 in 1911. They don’t all have the same recoil. Brand and model and material made a big difference. My wife can shoot a full size Dan Wesson steel frame just fine and she’s 5’ 2” with small hands and recoil sensitive. An Officer edition is way too hard hitting for her in contrast. She’s shot other makes and felt uncomfortable with them.

If it’s going to be a 1911 “style”, then STI 2011 in 9mm all the way. If it can be a bit of a hybrid than Dan Wesson DWX. Both have as close to zero felt recoil as they come, double stack magazines, comfortable, gorgeous and a joy to shoot.
I used to feel this way too, then I picked up an RIA that has both a 9mm setup and a .22TCM setup. Mainly picked it up because the price was right and I was intrigued by the dual caliber option. I also didn’t want to add another caliber to my loading bench. I shoot 9mm in it 98% of the time and it’s a joy to shoot, very accurate and dependable, but every once in a while I’ll shoot the .22TCM it’s such a hoot.

stinkeypete

I shot target loads exclusively out of my custom 1911.

If one is going to shoot at the range, a reloading press quickly becomes economical.
I seem to recall 4.1 g of bullseye under a 185 g semi-wadcutter. Of course, my feed ramp was cut for wadcutters.

It was very accurate in my gun. .452” hole, 185 grains, bumbling along at 800fps or so. My, that would hardly stop a chipmunk, right? (Seriously, ain’t nobody going to want to be on the wrong end of that, it’s just not the best hunting load.)

I would probably be getting a Rock River Arms if I was to replace my 1911. They are close enough to my home that I could talk to the guys building it. That’s my recommendation for 1911s- find a pistolsmith near you and ask. Once running tops, you’ll know what the fuss is all about.

Eddiejoe

Well, I never did get anything. I appreciate all the suggestions! I'll keep looking though. If I get a new pistol, I will let everyone know!

FairWarning

Anyway, I lack a 1911-style pistol. I really lean toward 9mm, but I only have two pistols in .45ACP. I found that a 1911 in 45 has unpleasant recoil. Are there any that are typically softer shooting?
Thanks in advance!

Yep, the HK USP 45 is softer shooting than a 1911. And the basic versions can be surprisingly cheap also. The Tacticool versions can cost twice as much as the base version, but even the base is a world class firearm and tough as nails.

Another similar option is the HK45, a slightly slimmer evolution of the USP. Both are easy to shoot accurately and less tiring than a 1911 with any ammo, but especially the hot stuff. HK has a proprietary recoil reduction buffer system on both of these fine firearms, and it evidently works. :cool: