Israeli Jets Destroyed Syrian Nuke Cache

Martyn4802

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,296939,00.html

Report: Israeli Jets Destroyed Syrian Nuke Cache
Sunday, September 16, 2007

E-MAIL STORY
PRINTER FRIENDLY VERSION
It was just after midnight when the 69th Squadron of Israeli F-15Is crossed the Syrian coast-line. On the ground, Syria’s formidable air defences went dead. An audacious raid on a Syrian target 50 miles from the Iraqi border was under way.

Click here for more from the Times of London.

At a rendezvous point on the ground, a Shaldag air force commando team was waiting to direct their laser beams at the target for the approaching jets. The team had arrived a day earlier, taking up position near a large underground depot. Soon the bunkers were in flames.

Ten days after the jets reached home, their mission was the focus of intense speculation this weekend amid claims that Israel believed it had destroyed a cache of nuclear materials from North Korea.

The Israeli government was not saying. “The security sources and IDF [Israeli Defence Forces] soldiers are demonstrating unusual courage,” said Ehud Olmert, the prime minister. “We naturally cannot always show the public our cards.”

The Syrians were also keeping mum. “I cannot reveal the details,” said Farouk al-Sharaa, the vice-president. “All I can say is the military and political echelon is looking into a series of responses as we speak. Results are forthcoming.” The official story that the target comprised weapons destined for Hezbollah, the Iranian-backed Lebanese Shiite group, appeared to be crumbling in the face of widespread scepticism.

Andrew Semmel, a senior US State Department official, said Syria might have obtained nuclear equipment from “secret suppliers”, and added that there were a “number of foreign technicians” in the country.

Asked if they could be North Korean, he replied: “There are North Korean people there. There’s no question about that.” He said a network run by AQ Khan, the disgraced creator of Pakistan’s nuclear weapons, could be involved.

armoredman

Fascinating. Wonder about the truth level in the story. Disinformation is a legitimate tactic in war, and Israel is at war with everybody.
I wonder if A) those were nukes, and if so, B) does thier trail goes through North Korea back to another country there in the sand, oh, starts with a I, something...

Sarge

Odd that the Syrians have so little to say about it. I guess maybe this one wasn't an aspirin factory...

I think you're probably going to see more of this, and it ain't gonna be just Israel pushing the 'delete' button. If these whacks have nukes, I'd say it's a fair assumption that they're eventually going to go BOOM. I for one would much rather see them go BOOM on their soil, as opposed to above our troops overseas- or any US interest within the range of their delivery system.

Manedwolf

The US definitely had to have been apprised of the situation. Why?

They hit bunkers.

To hit bunkers, you generally need bunker-buster penetrator conventional munitions.

Israel doesn't make them. We do. We sell those to them.

And if Israel didn't tell Washington that they were going to use some, they likely wouldn't get any more, so I suspect it was indeed something serious, and Washington approved it as a result.

That was a rather deep strike, (they dropped tanks, long range) precise as well.
So IMO it was something significant and dangerous that got deleted.

HankB

If radioactive material was scattered, I imagine the Syrians would want to keep things quiet. So no newspaper reporters are being given guided tours of the arms factory . . . uhhh . . . I mean the baby formula factory those Jewish devils fiendishly bombed.

Israel has done this before. They took out an Iraqi nuclear power plant back in 1981. Basically, they figured that since Iraq had all the power supply resources they needed, a nuclear power plant wasn't being built to provide electricity for homes, but to make weapons grade nuclear material.

see http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/History/Osirak.html

The event was covered by a program on the history channel as I recall. Their attack was very well planned.

MD_Willington

Manedwolf said:

I wouldn't put it past them to take one apart and make their own copies...

HankB said:
If radioactive material was scattered, I imagine the Syrians would want to keep things quiet.

They wouldn't be able to, there would be material in the air, and it is detectable...

Alnamvet

Mazol Tov....

to the greatest fighter pilots in the world...and to the government of Israel for having the cojones that everyone else wished they had. Good day to be an Israeli pilot;)

FALPhil

armoredman wrote:Fascinating. Wonder about the truth level in the story. Disinformation is a legitimate tactic in war, and Israel is at war with everybody.
Huh? AFAIK, the only people Israel is at war with are the Mohammedans. It's true that Israel doesn't do what everybody else tells them to do, especially the Europeans, but that doesn't constitute war.
armoredman wrote:I wonder if A) those were nukes, and if so, B) does thier trail goes through North Korea back to another country there in the sand, oh, starts with a I, something...
Nope, more likely, it starts with a 'C' and comes from a neighbor of North Korea. In the big scheme of things, they are actually more of a threat to the world than the Mohammedans.

seeker_two

MD_Willington said:
Originally Posted by Manedwolf

I wouldn't put it past them to take one apart and make their own copies...

Mossad has been caught spying on US facilities before..... ;)

Well done, Sons of Abraham.... :cool:

Caeser23

"to the greatest fighter pilots in the world...and to the government of Israel for having the cojones that everyone else wished they had. Good day to be an Israeli pilot"

I might pick and move, a country that does what is in it's best interest and doesn't care what anybody else thinks, hmm...

Waitone

Seems subsequent articles on the story have said Israeli special operations type entered the target area a few days before the air strikes and obtained samples of the materals in question. So the question is did the extract materials, do an analysis, then whistle up the birds OR did they just use the materials to justify what they intended to do anyhow.

Then there is the observation that if they went in early to pick materials for analysis, did also pick up people for interrogation.

Lots more to come out on this operation.

Limeyfellow

Of course the only people who have said this are news outlets of Rupert Murdoch, who is a big lying scumbags. They are hardly much better than say the Drudge Report or Air America.

gvf

Could be. Anyone remember when they took out a nuclear reactor - or a nuclear something - in Irag quite a few years ago? They decided: the hell with it, we live next door and we don't want THIS guy having nuclear weapons. And they took it out.

I can't recall if it was done secretly - what the official position of the government was, or Iraq's either - though Sadam musn't have liked it and was not known for his quiet reactions to things.

Musketeer

THe had a shipment of planes held up from the USA after blowing up the IRaqi reactor (a breeder reactor capable of making weapons grade material and not a simple power generation facility).

Of course Isreal actively spys on the USA and steals technology and secrets from us... STEALS. Have no doubts that Isreal acts in its own interest and would tunr on us if they thought the benifits outweighed the costs. Nations do not have friends, they have shared interests.

I am glad Isreal did it and would not be surprised if the same happenned to Iran with our blessing. I don't know though if it will. we may need to do this one ourself if we are going to be taken seriously. We were for a short while after taking Iraq but that has worn off as the occupation has dragged out.

madmag

Of course Israel actively spys on the USA and steals technology and secrets from us

Not sure if they have to do a lot of spying. I think we give them most of the technology they ask for. We don't just sell them airplanes, we sell them the complete weapons systems that go along with the planes. We also train them on the technology involved with those systems. We don't have to train them on being good pilots or to have the backbone to protect themselves...they already have those traits.