Is Unique really “dirty” ?

I've had Trail Boss burn so cleanly that in the new Starline brass I fired it in, I could not find any visible carbon. It looked new and unused, so why would I clean it?

SHR970

Unique (Flaming Dirt) and its Red Headed Cousin Herco (Flaming Cow Pies) both used to use Polyester as a retardant. All of that junk left behind was burnt plastic.

John D

Have loaded with Unique for over 30 years and found it to be fine. But, I'm just loading for general recreational shooting in pistols, not precision target shooting or hunting.

Geezerbiker

I use Ed's Red to clean my guns and I don't worry about if a particular powder burns less than cleanly...

Red Dot and Unique are 2 of my favorite pistol powders...

Tony

rodfac

Yep...it's rightly been called, "Flaming Dirt" over the years. But, I've used it for some very successful loads irregardless. The newer versions of Unique...say in the past 10 yrs or so, are better, but still 'dirty'. I've got top performing loads using it in: .380, .32-20, .32 H&R, .38 Spl, .38 S&W, .357, .40 S&W, .41 Magnum & Spl, .44 Spl & Magnum, .45 ACP, and lastly, it is THE POWDER for .45 Colt. As a powder, it's versatility is hard to match with any other available, and has been for over 100 years.

My primary objection to using it is its miserable metering consistency through my powder measures: RCBS Uniflow with the "pistol", smaller sized cylinder; & my Dillon 550B's proprietary measure. With Unique, I see +-0.2 grains over a 20 case sample. And believe me, I've used every technique available as well as some minor modifications to my measures, in the 50+ years I've spent with this powder. Truth be told, at least with .38 Special and bigger cartridges, that amount of drop variance does't affect group size out to 50 yds at least. Face it, we're not talking "F" class long range rifle competition here.

All of that notwithstanding, Unique's a good/great powder and is truly "unique" in its broad applications. While it's cleaner burning nearer the top end of available loads in my experience, we all know, we clean our guns after every use, so its black soot residue should not be a deal-breaker. Too, I don't shoot a cpl hundred rounds of it through my guns at a single range session, nor do I participate in any of the handgun games currently in vogue.

YMMv, Rod

Last edited:

rclark

Metering in my Hornady drop powder measure is fine IF the grains is above ~7 ... Otherwise forget it.... I went to AA#5 and AA#2 in .32 H&R Magnum for way better metering in small quantities.

As for dirty, I shoot all lead. Tends to be a bit dirty anyway and from powder to powder I don't notice much difference. I clean my guns, so I don't care. I use what works.

I use Unique pretty much exclusively in .44 Special and .44 Mag, but works well in other cartridges too. For some reason, I've picked other powders for my other cartridges... For example I am using Green Dot for .45 Colt and .357 currently.

Targa

As for dirty, I shoot all lead. Tends to be a bit dirty anyway and from powder to powder I don't notice much difference. I clean my guns, so I don't care. I use what works.

Exactly! I use Universal instead of Unique and with lead cast rounds I can’t imagine one being dirtier than the other. My stainless Ruger has plenty of black on it when I am done...:D

gwpercle

Don't light load Unique . It's designed for standard and +P loads and requires a certain amount of pressure to burn clean .
Light loads burn incompletely thus the dirty tag . Load light with a faster powder like Bullseye .
It's not the powder ... it's using the powder correctly .
Gary

GeauxTide

Love Unique. Have loaded 8-10gr in 41, 44 Special, 44 Mag, and 45 Colt for 45 years. I find top loads with H-110/296 much dirtier.

Paul B.

Just about all I shoot in my handguns is cast lead. I also use Unique for most of the loads and yes, you can have one very dirty gun when you're through. But part of that depends on the charge and type of lube. For example bullets I used that had some form of hard lube burned quite clean even when combined with a load using Unique. When using softer lubes like the NRA formula (50/50 beeswax/Alox lube) even with some very stiff loads the gun was left a greasy dirty mess although it does clean up easily.
I haven't had much of a problem with in in my Uniflow measure although it was a low down dirty dog in my Pacific powder measure. Not too long ago I made up some loads running 11.0 gr. of Unique in the .44 mag. with a 250 gr. bullet for a Ruger Super Blackhawk and the same charge for the .45 Colt rounds and 255 gr. bullet for use in a Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley. Bullets had hard lube and cleanup was quite easy. I ran about 20 rounds through each gun and besides the guns not being too dirty I learned that I'm seriously out of practice shooting those moderately hot hand loads. I guess after the first of the year I'll have to fire up the old pot and do a run of both bullets just so I can get proficient with them once more.
Paul B.

RoyceP

Back when it was announced that the formula for Unique was going to change I bought a Hercules 5 pounder. I still have not opened it because I am still using up some 1 pounders first. Love Unique in 44 special and 45 Colt calibers with lead bullets. Great shooting, and accurate. Other powders might be a bit cleaner but I clean the guns the same way every time so it's not a big deal. Cases go in the Hornady tumbler overnight, look like new the next morning.
Yep it's an old thread and it's one of my first posts here.

wbbh

Well...after testing and shooting 30+ different powders, with many loads, for 9MM, I can tell you, without a shadow of a doubt....Unique? Is not super dirty.

http://www.natoreloading.com/unique/

it is mostly the primer you use that affects how "Dirty" the case is, NOT the powder.

Proof:
http://www.natoreloading.com/primer/

Use lead free primer, and your cases look like this, even using UNique..or whatever else..
This has been my experience as well. I was using lead free primers with TiteGroup for indoor use and noticed the empties were cleaner than those fired with conventional primers. I even did a test with Unique and got great results. I posted it on another forum and mainly got complaints that lead free primers were too expensive, about one cent extra per round, oh well. OTOH, I clean my brass and gins anyway so a little extra soot isn't a big deal and it cleans up easily.

Nick_C_S

The only Alliant pistol powder I know not to be dirty > Bullseye.

Bullseye has a high graphite content, so it leaves behind a lot of residue. The gun cleans up easy though. It's an exceptionally consistent burner.

1MoreFord

My experience with Unique was about 40 years ago. Like many others it was the first powder I ever reloaded with. .38 Special plinking loads with lead bullets were Filthy. I'm talking about the revolver, my hands, and even blowing back on my shirts.

One of the few good pieces of advice I ever got in a gun store was to try WW231. I swapped and never looked back. I wound up using the Unique for hotter 9mm loads where it cleaned up decently.

Hopefully Unique has been reformulated and is cleaner now.

Last edited: