Is this the Beretta pistol

power5

If that is a copy of a Glock it is done better it seems. I know the photo is just a PR shot but, the frame to slide joint is much better looking than a glock.

1047023_01_glock_19_gen_3_gen_4_9mm_w_mag_640.jpg

axismatt

I'm not a Beretta fanboy, but I think they make a fine piece of equipment. I am much less a fan of Tupperware guns. But this picture shows a hand full of design features I think are attractive.

The slide looks like it could be grabbed anywhere and easily racked. Big plus.

Stippling all over for better grip. I wish I saw some on the front of the trigger guard, as I like to use that spot,

Low profile sights are nice, fit looks tight, and I believe I read it had ambi controls.

I'd like a pump about 500 rounds through the pig and see how it feels.

Webleymkv

Originally posted by mardanlin
I hope that was sarcasm because tons of pistols have ripped off glock designs in the past decade or so.

You mean like how Glock ripped off the polymer frame from the HK VP70, the trigger dingus from the Iver Johnson Safety Automatic, the striker-fired mechanism from the Borchardt C93, the locking system from the Sig P220 (which itself was a modified Browning short-recoil system), and the polygonal rifling from the Whitworth rifle? Almost nothing about the Glock was original, it was just the first to combine all of its various features.

Gats Italian

Yeah, Glock fanbois are pretty ignorant about the history of firearms before 1980 or so.

Let's add that nitrocarburizing steel is ripped off lock, stock, and barrel from the automotive and aircraft industries. The bad grip angle ergonomics are lifted from the Luger. The ridiculous back strap hump is 1911 circa 1924. The front strap finger bumpers should have been left wherever they found them.

Plastic sights were found on water pistols. Literally nothing about the Glock is original unto itself, except for the coinage of "Glock Leg" and "Glock Racing Stripe."

tahunua001

and limp wristing... apparently that was first documented in 1981 and today is the number 1 leading cause of all handgun related failures today. :D

tipoc

My understanding was Beretta doesn't want to continue selling M9s ans M9A1s to the military. They want to phase out production. This seems extremely odd from a business standpoint, but it seems I read Beretta was trying to force DOD to accept the M9A3. Maybe the contract is no longer profitable for them?

The above is off base.

The last several years Beretta has been trying to get the Army to stay with the M9. Last year it announced another delivery of M9s as a part of a very large contract with the Army. They took the time to brag on the pistol some:

"Beretta has set an unprecedented records for reliability with the M9 pistol," added de Plano. "The average reliability of all M9 pistols tested at Beretta U.S.A. is 17,500 rounds without a stoppage. During one test of twelve pistols, fired at Beretta U.S.A. under Army supervision, Beretta-made M9 pistols shot 168,000 rounds without a single malfunction. The average durability of Beretta M9 slides is over 35,000 rounds, the point at which U.S. Army testing ceases. The average durability of M9 frames is over 30,000 rounds and the average durability of M9 locking blocks is 22,000 rounds."

http://www.beretta.com/en-us/us-army-acquires-additional-beretta-m9-9mm-pistols/?pg=2

As it looked like the military was looking for a new pistol it revamped the M9 to meet many of the requirements that they anticipated that the military wants and that has been the M9A3. Which they offered to the Army.

http://www.beretta.com/en-us/berett...eration-handgun-to-the-department-of-defense/

Apparently there has not been much interest from the Army in the updated gun.

So Beretta rolls out a potential backup. (Which looks not much like a Glock and may owe more to the Walther P99 than the Glock.) To show that they too can do a striker fired gun.

“Beretta waited to enter the striker fired market until we had a pistol we knew would meet the needs of the operator,” said Carlo Ferlito, general manager of Beretta and Beretta Defense Technologies (BDT) vice president. “The APX has been more than three years in development. We tested it extensively with professional end users and incorporated that feedback at every opportunity. The result is a pistol platform that delivers superior performance in durability, reliability, accuracy and ergonomics.”

Read more: http://www.gunsandammo.com/first-look/beretta-apx-full-size-striker-pistol/#ixzz3TOqRyfsf

They looked to be well placed should a new sidearm be in the short term future. But no specs yet from the military. They may not want a striker fired piece. We'll see.

Glocks sales have been dropping off due to steeper competition. Folks figure it's old tech and nothing new there.

tipoc