Is this a sign of pressure?

1stmar

Loading 308 for an m1a. The load is 42.5gr of 4064, Winchester primers and 168smk, prvi brass, col is 2.800, no crimp. I checked the primers and don't see any flattening but looks like an extractor mark on the brass. I had been getting failures to pick up rounds at 42gr, since it was at the lower end of the charge I thought I was getting short bolt cycle so I increased the load to 42.5. The last round I fired was not extracted, I could not pull the op rod back. I came home and took the rifle apart to see if the op rod was bent but it looked ok. Once I got it in a vise I was able to pull the op rod back and the case extracted. I don't see anything that looks abnormal, case and primer look ok. I dble checked my charge and col, I also went back to imr site, no where near max load. I might have has 75rounds through it so I don't think it was a dirty chamber. One more comment, after the round was fired the bolt was not completely home. I could not push it home or pull it back until I put it in a vise.

Eppie

More info please

How many times has the PRVI brass been fired? Depending on the original neck thickness, after a couple of firings, enough brass flows to the necks so that it makes bullet release difficult and you get pressure spikes. Stuck case is one of the symptoms.

If you have a ball micrometer you can measure the thickness of the stuck case at several points.

I know nothing about M1s chamber sizes etc.. but maybe Bart will come along and give you some help.

Bart B.

Are you full length sizing those fired cases?

That extractor mark, it it in the extractor groove on the case or a flattened area at the edge of the case head?

1stmar

I am using a fl sizing die but only shoulder bumping. The extractor mark was on case head not the extractor groove.

Eppie

1stmar said: I think it's the 4th firing no more then the 5th. I don't have a ball micrometer.

You're lucky you got that many firings. Without a micrometer yo're flying blind. It's time to tool up. You need to measure the neck thickness, than you will add .308+ (wall thickness x 2) and discover that your running out of space in your chamber and the brass can't release the bullet without overpressure.

Decision time!! Get new brass, learn about neck turning.

1stmar

Thanks I won't be neck turning. Sounds like time to switch brass. I just bought 500 lc once fired. Would annealing have helped? Neck turning is to tedious for me. I just assume buy new brass. Micrometer is a good recommendation. Been looking at them but up to now, i really didn't have a need. How would I know the diameter of my chamber, Even if i had a micrometer?

Eppie

There is another possibility. Are you giving a good deep bevel to your necks? That could maybe buy another round or two on each case.

Like this:

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1841.JPG
    IMG_1841.JPG
    213.7 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:

1stmar

I think so. I am using a vld chamfer bit in a power chamfer. I was a actually concerned I might be over chamfering.

Eppie

1stmar said: Thanks I won't be neck turning.

Man, you're giving up too easy. Think of all the frustration you're going to miss out on.

A word to the wise: the LC brass is known for thick necks. You probably won't get 5 firing out of that.

1stmar

I just got rid of all the tedious stuff. I have a power trimmer, power chamfer and auto dispenser. Loving it. When they come out a power neck turner I'll consider it :))

Bart B.

If a fired case goes into and out of the chamber easily and a bullet drops into the fired case neck easily, your case necks are OK for the rifle and the way they are sized.

How much are you bumping fired case necks back?

With .308" bullets and even .014" neck walls, the round's neck is .336" diameter. Your rifle's chamber neck is probably at least .344" which allows .003" clearance all the way around it. Plenty of room.

What's the shape of that extractor mark on the case?

Last edited:

1stmar

Bumping the shoulder .002-.003. The extractor mark is rectangular, I've only seen it on 2-3 of the cases. I'll check to see if the case drops into the chamber and the bullets drops into the case..

Eppie your killing me. Now I'm considering neck turning.... Do you have one?

Eppie

Yes, I have one and wouldn't do without it. But there is couple of things to learn there as well. As I found out, I can turn necks very quickly BADLY, or I can turn then quickly really WELL. The devil is in the details.

It's not a cheap machine, but it's worth the money.

1stmar

image.jpg

Kind of hard to see in this photo. Cases drop in ok, not freely all the way, removal takes a finger nail to remove. Does not drop freely. Bullets drop in ok, 1 case was snug.

1stmar

Do you have to set it up for each cartridge or each diameter?, ie same setting for all .30 cals? How much time to switch between calibers/diameters?

Bart B.

Blacken a fired case with a wide felt top marker, let the ink dry then chamber it. Pull it out and see where the ink's rubbed off. Then let us know where on the case the ink scraped off.

1stmar

image.jpg

Interesting, not what I expected. Chambered the case and very difficult time extracting it. Yet the neck looks unmarked.

Have lc brass. I will try that but looking to understand what's going on.