Is there any truth to this?.........

Tim Whittaker

I just heard that in 2002, Sig will have loaded chamber indicators on all of their new guns. Does anyone know this to be true of false? Thanks for any help.......Whit

blades67

I have also heard this. It will make their entire line Mass. and Maryland compliant without the need for special production runs for those States.

Quite frankly, I think a loaded chamber indicator is a GOOD thing.

Lets me know for sure the condition of the chamber of my gun when I'm carrying a semi-auto.

On my Savage 99 it lets me know if the action is cocked.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Hi, Mo-zam-beek,

More than two words: If you don't know if your d*mn gun is loaded or not, you are too stupid to be carrying one.

Jim

Fred Hansen

Exactly. I had a mommy, and so I don't need a Mommy Government. My mommy taught me that "ALL GUNS ARE TREATED AS IF THEY ARE LOADED! THAT INCLUDES TOY GUNS..

The irony of this is that my mommy and my daddy taught me this when I was a small child in Massachewsh**ts. My mommy and daddy had no use for a Mommy Govenment either.:mad:

Zundfolge

I don't mind a loaded chamber indicator (there's one on my Steyr). Yes you would be a dumbass if you didn't know your gun was loaded, but it would be useful if more then one person handles the weapon.

It's also useful on a striker fired weapon because you don't have a hammer to see if it's cocked.

I do however agree 100% that it shouldn't be government mandated.

etnaguy

I still don't get the point of loaded chamber indicators. A press check is perfectly safe to perform, so long as you know how to handle the weapon. If you don't know how to handle a weapon, what is a little nub sticking up somewhere on the gun going to do for you? How will anyone know what it is supposed to mean without being familiar with the weapon? Does anyone think that a 10 year old that finds Dad's gun will automatically recognize a loaded chamber indicator and put the weapon down?

Fred Hansen

but it would be useful if more then one person handles the weapon

I guess that I'm just a jerk, but if I hand a gun, any gun, to someone (right after I have told them that all guns are treated as loaded, which I always do), and they treat it as anything other than loaded, they get chewed out.

Loaded chamber indicators are fine for people who know what they are doing. For the uninitiated or the novice, they are yet another brain damaged distraction, mandated by that most parasitical of beings, the politician.

Stupid should hurt, some types of stupid should be fatal.

blades67

A loaded chamber indicator is safer than a press-check. With most holsters you would only need to partially unholster the gun and with some holsters you wouldn't need to do anything but look of feel.

I've been at the range when some dipstick with a 1911 decides to impress everybody sith his ability to do a press-check and sweeps half the firing line with his muzzle doing it. Same guy claimed he "knew how to handle a weapon" just before doing his press-check.:rolleyes:

jmbg29 - just because you hand me a gun and tell me its loaded doesn't mean I'm not going to verify this for myself. A loaded chamber indicator negates the need for a press-check. I have also watched a number of people eject the round in the chamber, remove the magazine (Yes, in that order:eek: ) and state that their weapon was clear. I have also watched these same people go slack-jawed when that round, "that wasn't supposed to be in there!" comes flying out of the ejection port. Brain fade can strike anyone at any time.

Three words, Mo.

Dark

Of

Night

A press check does absolutely no good if you're in a situation where's there little to zip light, or if you're in a situation where you don't want to show the gun, but you do want to know that it's ready to go.

A loaded chamber indicator that provides a tactile feel verification is a damned good thing.

Loaded chamber indicators have been put on semi-autos for nearly 100 years.

Was it such a bad thing then, when it was simply design feature?

I don't think so.

Zundfolge

Frankly I like being able to run my thumb across the end of the slide and know if there is a round in the chamber.

s-m40-leftsidebackangle.jpg

If you want to argue against loaded chamber indicators being mandated by law, I'm with you. But if it doesn't interfere with the operation of the weapon I think it's a nice feature.

Fred Hansen

blades67,

Nothing negates the need for a visual clear of any firearm. A loaded chamber indicator is a mechanical device. I would treat it in the same fashion as a safety, nice to have, but never to be relied upon. I know exactly what you mean about the acrobatics that some people go through to clear a firearm. The cure for that is more/better instruction. A loaded chamber indicator will do nothing to help anyone to clear their weapon.

As I said, they may well be a boon to people who are well trained in the use of firearms. They are useless to those who need to learn the fundamentals. Imagine a Lorcin (or insert your least thought of pistol here) with an LCI. After about 2 rounds it goes winging off into the bushes. A couple of minutes later Gizmo says, "Gee! I didn't mean to shoot 'em. The LCI indicated that the gun was empty."

The practicalities of an LCI aside, the need for these devices (on everyones gun) is a total fabrication. Once again liberals wish to put responsibility on the "shoulders" of inanimate objects. Period.

WESHOOT2

WORTHLESS COMPLICATION

Do people really not know their gun is loaded (rhetorical, I know the answer).
And does anybody really think this do-hickey enhances their gun?

More stuff = more potential problems.

I know when my guns are loaded.

Whew!

Tim Whittaker

I have to agree with Weshoot here, I don't want anything more on my gun than is absolutely necessary. I have never said to myself "self, is that gun loaded?" Oh well I just hate to see a company change a design or update when there's no call for it.........Whit

bastiat

Just one question

Does anyone have a link to a story where a loaded chamber indicator caused a FTF? It sort of sounds like the "don't use reloads in your carry or SD pistol - you could be in legal trouble!" when there hasn't been any case where a gunowner has been sued or prosecuted for using reloads.

I don't mind it, and in fact it may be a good selling point to a new gun owner, and if another voluntary safety feature sells a new gun owner into buying a gun, that's a good thing.

I like my indicator on my P7...it's simple and unobtrusive and give me the option of checking my chamber without moving my slide...sure, we should all should know our guns are loaded but in stressful situation, it's comforting to be able to check quickly with just a finger rub...

SIGarmed

I've shot thousands of rounds through an M9 Berreta in service of my country. It has one of these devices. Press checks are regarded as the only way to see that the gun is actually chambered. Why? Really look at some of the designs of these load indicator devices. They're really small. Even in the dark you can hardly feel the difference especially with gloves. The glove issue might not be a big issue outside the military,but its something to think about. If you couldn't do a "press check" safely you were considered a "**** bird!" and no one wants to be around you with a gun anyway.
I personally think this is a bad idea. This isn't going to stop with chamber load indicators. This is setting the wrong precedence. Responsibility belongs to the person using the gun. Its almost as if the gun company's are trying to take part of the responsibility that belongs to the user away to appease the victim disarmament crowd. This doesn't speak well for the future.
In California some of the state legislature try to explain how these devices will somehow save lives,all the while their real intention is to bring about total victim disarmament through a defacto handgun ban. I think Sig is unfortunately reading the writing on the wall so to speak. One bill that failed this year was to make it mandatory for all pistols sold in the state to require a chamber load indicator,and a magazine disconnect so that the gun can't fire with out a magazine in it. They knew full well that there wasn't guns being sold with these devices so this would bring all sales of handguns in the state to a schreaching halt. This bill will be back next year.
A person who these devices were designed for won't know what it is anyway. Doesn't this defeat the purpose? I pretty much think these things are useless,unless they make them bigger,and do you want a big red flashing light hanging off the end of your gun?