Is there any truth to Glock grip angle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

guruatbol

I have three Glocks. I had a fourth that was stolen many years ago.

I never heard of the grip angle issue on the Glocks until recently here.

I am of a mind that one needs to own and shoot what fits one's hand and shooting style.

I have a 1911, KAHR and a couple Rugar .22 semi autos and the most accurate shooting I have done with any of them has been the Glocks. They fit me and work for me. So, as to grip angle? I don't buy into it.

I have fired many different semiautos including the Sig, Kimber, Colts, Berretas, and well, the Glock is still the best fit.

So I say, the math may very well be there to support the grip angle stuff, but if it fits you, use it!

Mel

Dragline45

guruatbol said:
I am of a mind that one needs to own and shoot what fits one's hand and shooting style.

guruatbol said:
They fit me and work for me. So, as to grip angle? I don't buy into it.

So you agree that one needs to own and shoot what fits their hand and shooting style, yet because Glock's fit YOUR hand, you don't buy into other peoples complaints about the grip angle? :confused:

WESHOOT2

"I got my eyes closed"

Like Mr. Pond, I close my eyes and 'point' the gun at target, and open my eyes.

Glocks, for me, point funny.
There are a few other guns that do so for me, too.
Most guns I point don't.

sils79

I'll throw my bit in. At my first PD everyone carried G22s, having never shot a Glock before it took a while to get used to it, but after several rounds the Glock grip angle became second nature. I did find that when shooting my other guns that I naturally pointed them downward and because of this I started carrying a G27 as a backup.

I now carry a Sig P226 and only carry guns with similar grip angles. As a veteran LEO I can say with certainty that in a stressful life or death situation you will revert to your training. You won't think about adjusting your wrists so that you hit your target. You will point your gun at the BG as you have at the target a thousand times and different guns point differently: A 5 or 6 degree difference can make be the difference between solid shot placement and misses.

In the end pick your gun and train with it be it a Glock or otherwise

JN01

So you agree that one needs to own and shoot what fits their hand and shooting style, yet because Glock's fit YOUR hand, you don't buy into other peoples complaints about the grip angle?

The problem is when a new shooter inquires about Glocks and is told not to consider them because "everybody knows they have a bad grip angle" when it may or may not be an issue for that particular person.

jr24

I always wonder if it is the "grip angle" or the way the palm swell is shaped. Either way when I pick up a glock and point, I'm always high, never an issue with my other guns. Trainable? Yep, I get it back with some rounds and practice, but I personally prefer a gun that shoots/points more "natural" to me. YMMV, obviously.

Also, the... Gen 3? finger grooves are placed all wrong for my hands, and the grip is too wide for my stubby fingers. I'm curious some day to try the Gen 4 with the flattest backstrap to see if that helps, but I haven't found one to try yet.

All that said, the 30 SF and the .. 36? Fit my hands really well and point great, so for me its not ALL glocks, just the 17/19/22/23. It is a pity since the 23 is a great size/capacity for a carry piece.

JN01

I always wonder if it is the "grip angle" or the way the palm swell is shaped.

I'd say both. As far as the back strap hump, it's the same thing with a 1911 with or without an arched main spring housing- the way it points is changed.

JohnKSa

Administrator
The grip angle, the way the palm swell is shaped, the thickness/circumference of the grip, the depth (front to back) of the grip are all factors that can affect the way the gun points in a particular person's hand.

Wreck-n-Crew

The grip angle, the way the palm swell is shaped, the thickness/circumference of the grip, the depth (front to back) of the grip are all factors that can affect the way the gun points in a particular person's hand.
True and what may point better may not feel best. Picked up a BNIN M&P9 today and got the better half to compare them. For me the M&P fits better with the medium and small grip, but she Liked the gen 3 G22 better. I don't know if it was the stippling, hard to get much out of her before she bores with it but I did get her to try all 3 grips for the S&W (that was a monumental task in itself).

Stock trigger I like the Glock better. However the M&P is getting a trigger job (even though much improved over older ones). Got the trigger bar and sear done They are different than the older ones too) but the striker block needs a little more work to get it just right. As it stands the trigger pull it right @ 5.5 lbs. When I get it done tomorrow I'll throw a thread together on it, hopefully with a short range report.

I did handle a Glock with a grip reduction one time. It did feel better to me. What I will say is that my stock G19 Gen 3 fits in my hand much better than the Gen 3 G22. I think it's the hump placement being in the cup of the palm. Not perfect, but much better feel than the aforementioned. Just wish I was accurate with it as the G22.

Nakanokalronin

Also, the... Gen 3? finger grooves are placed all wrong for my hands, and the grip is too wide for my stubby fingers. I'm curious some day to try the Gen 4 with the flattest backstrap to see if that helps, but I haven't found one to try yet.

I've never considered a Gen 3 G17 because it points high for me. I did however hold a Gen 4 G17 the other day which felt better in the hand and pointed naturally with no backstrap on. Glad Glock did something about that, which has made me look out for a good deal on one.

Another thing about the G17 is the finger grooves. They don't bother me on that model, only on the smaller models due to scrunching the fingers together in a smaller area. If you look closely at a G17,G19 and G26 side by side in front of you closely, you'll notice more surface are between each finger groove on the G17.

Vermonter

This is why you should try your guns

Seriously,
Go to a range that will let you rent and run some. That or find friends with examples that differ and put some rounds through them. I guess I am adaptable. The only thing that feels unnatural to me are guns with a very high bore axis such as the Beretta Nano.

YMMV

Nakanokalronin

I now carry a Sig P226 and only carry guns with similar grip angles. As a veteran LEO I can say with certainty that in a stressful life or death situation you will revert to your training. You won't think about adjusting your wrists so that you hit your target. You will point your gun at the BG as you have at the target a thousand times and different guns point differently: A 5 or 6 degree difference can make be the difference between solid shot placement and misses.

Exactly right. For range use, adaptability seems like no big deal. In a high stress defensive situation (which is always high stress), what you're used to practicing with will be how you shoot. Now if I was someone who just bought the lower percentage of high pointing Glocks in certain sizes, then no big deal, but many more guns point naturally for me over certain sized Glocks so I know I'd shoot high with them in a defensive situation.

Better to modify that gun or two to the rest out there if one wants to have that gun in their collection. IMO, all Glocks should have the G19 backstrap, then no modification of gun or technique would be required.

Fugit1ve Wizard

I have found that on my Gen 4 Glock 17, my natural tendency is to wrap my whole hand around the grip because my fingers fit so well in those comfy grooves. I then end up pulling the trigger with my distal joint rather than the pad of my finger, which for me leads to less accurate shooting. YMMV, but I do need to concentrate a little on my hold to make sure I'm hitting where I aim, and achieving an even trigger pull with the pad of the trigger finger.

leadcounsel

Variety is the spice of life.

Apparently, given the overwhelming popularity of Glock, the grip angle is largely fabricated by the anti-Glock crowd. First is was 'ugly,' 'plastic junk.' Turns out not to be true. Can't attack it on reliability, accuracy, or cost.

Granted I do have guns that fit my hand better. When I pick up a CZ or Tanfoglio, my hand melts into the gun. Many guns may have marginal better feel or grip angle, but it's easy to master the Glock and the angle-issue is largely fabricated.

For ME, it's easy to make minor adjustments and the Glock points just as naturally as nearly any other modern platform. I would go further to suggest that if a person is so rigid in their handgun skills so as to not be able to adapt between a Tokarev or 1911 or CZ or Glock, then perhaps they need more experience. For ME, I like to be proficient with many handgun (and longgun) platforms.

Hold up a Glock against say the grips of man popular guns and you'll see that the difference is marginal.

Last edited:

Nakanokalronin

Glocks popularity is from it's simplicity, meaning almost anyone can take one down and even detail strip. It's also more forgiving to those that don't take care of their guns. It's popularity with LE is for the previous reasons, plus being given away or almost given away for free. I like Glocks, but they're not a standard in ergos, far from it actually. The biggest factor is that hump placement that's been mentioned earlier. Very few people like curved back straps on 1911s and I've never seen anyone add a giant hump to the backstrap of a poly gun, only shave them down. Some Glock models are down right uncomfortable because of that hump.

Range adaptability is one thing, but a stress induced environment is another. I've seen plenty of people draw quickly and get rounds on target either too high or too low. Adaptability to different firearms is quick and easy, but training with specific features that will be second nature in a SD role is another. No different than training with or without a manual safety or even placement of controls on handguns,rifles and shotguns to be second nature no mater what state of mind and body you're in.

Wreck-n-Crew

Apparently, given the overwhelming popularity of Glock, the grip angle is largely fabricated by the anti-Glock crowd. First is was 'ugly,' 'plastic junk.' Turns out not to be true. Can't attack it on reliability, accuracy, or cost.
If that were not a misconception then I need to sell my Glocks! Or at least one. One size never fit all and it's about what the user likes. On the same note many find the grip to be pleasing (refer to my previous post). On the flip side "all people who own Glocks think everything else is subpar and less reliable or accurate over complicated or less rugged." Not true either.

Everything in life is not always black and white, Right or left. If it was it would be boring for some and easier for others. ;)

Aer656y9

I personally like the fact that it has a bigger angle. It makes it easier to stabilize for me. Granted, I am using a G22 Gen 4 and have the large back strap and beaver tail on it, but I still enjoy the slant. It also helps keep me from bringing my head down to the sights.

tipoc

My mother would have complained quite a but if I came out the womb with a gun. o I'm not sure about "natural" pointers. It's a learned thing.

However the old test is handy.
Stand with the empty gun down at your side.
Focus on a light switch on the other side of the room.
Close your eyes.
Raise the gun up and point it at the light switch.

Now open your eyes. Do the sights line up with the light switch or close to it? Do it a few times. If they line up that gun points well for you. If the sights are well off (meaning that if you shot the impact would be several inches off) then the gun does not point well for you. If you have to adjust your grip radically to get the sights on target then the gun is not pointing "naturally" for you.

That's what this discussion is about. Does the grip angle work for you without too much muss or fuss.

One size does not fit all.

tipoc

AK103K

I just did the light switch thing about 20 times, back and forth while I was doing it, with my Colt Commander and my Glock 17. I "hit" the light switch every time with both.

Did the same thing with my 4" S&W Model 19, with the same result.

Hmmmm, now what? :D

Don P

Now I know why my wrist hurts when I switch from my Glock to my 1911 as depicted in post #17 the 2 degrees of angle is a killer on the wrist.:eek::rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.