Is there a better value than the Sig P6 ?

Sixer

I've been trying to get my father into shooting for a while now... He has been reluctant to spend a lot of money on his first handgun.

I recently found an older Sig P6 (German police trade in) for $350. It has a fair amount of holster wear, but the internals are super clean and in excellent shape.

I already own a Sig P229 and a Sig P239 so I know that they are quality guns... My dad is in his mid 50's and has no problem operating either gun.

My question - Do you guys think that there is better gun for HD / SD out there that costs less than $350 otd? If so, what is it?

Ace_Breaker

I think a better value is the Sig P250, it's actually an outstanding little gun that can be bought new in that price range. Mine functioned without flaw, was very accurate, and durable. The P250C is about the same size as the P6 but is a double stack so carries more rounds, plus they come with the Sig night sights. Take advantage of the bad press on one of them!

The P6 is a good gun if you plan on shooting ball ammo throught it unless it's got the modern feedramp angle(after about 1991). There were also reported issues with some breechblocks being loose, although I never experienced that. They have a very heavy mainspring and lots of them have significant wear. You can do spring changes to lighten them up. These are not the same gun as the P225 that was commercially sold in the US. Yes the P225's look the same but the mainspring is lighter, the hammer isn't notched, and most have the proper feed ramp angle to feed hollow points. Long story short, I've owned 4 P225's that ate all ammo I fed them, 1 P6 that could not feed any HP ammo without feeding low into the ramp and causing a malfunction. After a mainspring change and a trigger/ ramp polish job it still does not like to get through more than a few HP rounds. So, if you buy a P6 know what you are getting or your great deal will cost $$$ to function like a modern firearm (ramp fix, spring changes, etc.). I would not choose one for home defense. Good luck!

Last edited:

Sgt Pepper

The Sig P250 might be a better value. Also the Israeli Browning Hi-Powers that are out there right now for $380+ are a better deal in my opinion.

proxpilot

also the Kahr CW9/40 can be had for $366 @ buds gun shop. that is a great conceal carry option. I just bought one today at my LGS

hogwiley

Well the gun is used so im not sure its such a steal, especially since it only has an 8 round mag. p95 gives u nearly twice that for the same price. An sr9 or xd is probably less than a hundred more brand new and are a lot more capable guns.

Uncle Malice

I've seen some used German P220's for under 400 recently. I would say that the p220 represents a better deal. Magazines are a little cheaper, and it's a full sized 45 for cheap.

A wise man once said, "if you own a Sig P220, you probably don't need another handgun"

That was our very own Sarge. :)

Chesster

If you can get a P6 with two mags for 350, a great bargain. As long as it sound inside, you can use touch up pens on the outside of a shooter.

Sixer

Thanks for the feedback!

I think we'll probably take a look a few of other guns that were suggested. As a SD/HD type weapon I would want a gun that can reliably feed HP ammo. So the P6 may have just moved itself off the list.

Heck, I might actually buy it for myself at $350 :)

Sounds like the search continues! I guess I didn't realize the number of good handguns in the $350 price range. Thanks again.

dgludwig

I think the best pistol for the money right now are used Smith Third Generation police trade-ins. Very under-rated but superior pistols in every way.

Falcon642

My Dad just bought a brand new Stoeger Cougar .40 for $349. Brand new Beretta quality for under $350? That is really hard to beat.

The Bersa line is a great value as well. They make a Thunder 9, .40 and .45 and they usually sell for around $350 or so.
I have three Thunder 9s and they have been excellent with very nice triggers as well.