Is there a bad AK?

raftman

Sure, the AK-47 has a reputation for being just about indestructible. But as we all know, there are absolutely countless variants of this iconic rifle; I was just wondering, are there any truly bad versions that one would be better off avoiding?

The prices tend to vary immensely, while some can be had for well under $500, and others can sell for well over $1000, if in either case you get a Kalashnikov rifle, of the same caliber, same design, etc and from all appearances, you get the same gun. Is there something that makes the cheap AK's undesirable, or is the AK a design that can basically do no wrong?

Willie D

Short answer: No

Long Answer: Some may not be up to snuff because of alterations made by the importer (nearly alway Century aka CAI). The problem with "Romanians" is that some were/are imported as single stack sporters and then had the mag wells grinded out so that double stack mags would fit. This was not always done with great skill or care so function problems may result.

That said, the main difference between properly manufactured AKs is usually the finish quality. A bulgarian and a romanian will shoot the same but the bulgarian will be a heck of a lot prettier.

The only "AK"s that perform any better are the Valmet and Galil.

Quentin2

I'd be afraid of home made kit guns. Of course some are top notch if done by a true craftsman but many are slapped together by first timers then dumped on someone else to get rid of a problem gun.

Most Romanian AKs are kit guns or cheap WASRs so they get a bad rep. Really it's unfair because there are so darn many Romys out there, you hear a lot about the bad ones.

If you can inspect a low end WASR 10 before you buy it, odds are you'll be happy with it. I was able to cherry pick mine a couple years ago and it's been great.

I've heard bad things about the IO but have no first hand experience. I'd google them and find threads with first hand accounts.

2how

Ive got a rommy I would put up against any AK made. Cuban redneck has no clue about what he speaks. The chopped up single stacks are the worst. The design is genious, if it feeds it works , simple. Things to look for are str8 gas tubes and no undue cutting or sharp edges around the mag well. this link will give you a good tutorial of the AK, look to the right margine for more.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/ak47/index.asp

FotoTomas

My Egyption Maadi was great except for the trigger slap.

My Romanian WASR was garbage. The sling swivels were thin coathanger wire and the Magazine latch was very thin steel. A brand new Saiga mag would not fit or lock properly and after the other two magazines were tried and worked fine the mag catch then broke completely. Comparing it (the WASR) to my Brother in Law's Norinco was a mistake. The **** poor materials and construction was a big turnoff. I took it back and received credit on a revolver.

I will stipulate that this was a single incident with one rifle. There might well be better Romanian AK's out there but "I" will steer away from them.

Tucker 1371

Any Romanian made AK and any ammo from Romania. Horrible stuff.

My SAR2 is the best thing since sliced bread... but then again there's a chance I may be slightly biased :D. Seriously though, for the money it's as good a shootin' AK you can buy, if you want to spend a lot more you can get a VEPR (if you can find it) or a Arsenal AK.

I actually shoot better with my AK than my grandpaw's 16" Bushy AR... but I've been told I have some strange shooting quirks :D.

Short answer: No

Agreed.

CUBAN REDNECK

I understand that some people find no fault with AKs, and that's fine. But the truth is that a Romanian manufactured AK, even in an unaltered form, is extremely unreliable. I would put a Romy AK in the category of a starter AK. At least you can learn to take it apart for cleaning, and can do a little touch up things to it, but keep it away from anything serious. If you mix both a Romy AK and Romy ammo you'll have a recipe for frustration. That being said here are my suggestions:

East German, if you can find one.
Hungarian.
Russian.
Polish.
Czech.
Bulgarian.
Chinese.
Egyptian.
Maybe Romanian.:cool:

FyredUp

I have a WASR-10 and for me it has been a reliable, reasonably accurate, for what it is, rifle. The only issue I have had with it is a stiff magazine release.

The price was right, $369. To me the fun of it has made it worth every penny.

94bluerat

So far, everyone I have played with has been good. I have shot 9 different AK's, but have not owned one yet.

I think, as with many manufactured items, there are places where short cuts will cause issues. Inspect anything you buy before you buy it and ask lots of questions.

Tucker 1371

But the truth is that a Romanian manufactured AK, even in an unaltered form, is extremely unreliable.

Really? Even WASRs (the bottom of the barrel) seem to be reliable to the Nth degree. I have seen people put them through absolute HELL, ice, water, mud, and they never ceased to fire with Wolf and surplus bulk. I have a SAR2 (a step above the WASRs IMO) and I've had about 1K rounds through it in 6 months (150, fast and slow fire, just a few hrs ago) and I have yet to have so much as a stovepipe.

If you mix both a Romy AK and Romy ammo you'll have a recipe for frustration.

I would postulate that this is 99.99% ammo and 0.01% gun related. No ecperience with WASRs (will never own because the furniture is uglier than a sack full of ***holes) but if my Romy SAR shoots oodles of both 52gr surp and 70gr Wolf flawlessly (and even accurately) how can you claim that ALL Romanian AKs are unreliable and inferior?

Not trying to be confrontational, I just wish you'd back up your statement before you dismiss my rifle as garbage.

stubbicatt

saith Cuban Redneck...I understand that some people find no fault with AKs, and that's fine. But the truth is that a Romanian manufactured AK, even in an unaltered form, is extremely unreliable. I would put a Romy AK in the category of a starter AK. At least you can learn to take it apart for cleaning, and can do a little touch up things to it, but keep it away from anything serious. If you mix both a Romy AK and Romy ammo you'll have a recipe for frustration. That being said here are my suggestions:

East German, if you can find one.
Hungarian.
Russian.
Polish.
Czech.
Bulgarian.
Chinese.
Egyptian.
Maybe Romanian.

I thought the Czechs used and manufactured the VZ58? I have not heard of a Czech Kalashnikov before this moment. Could you be possibly mistaken?

kristop64089

Well there is an absolute that CANNOT be substantiated.

I can tell you first hand my 2 SAR-1's are very bit as good(if not better) , than my
- 2 Yugos(underfolder, and standard)
- Norinco
- Bulgarian Arsenal -95(other than the milled receiver)
- Polish Tantal
- Hungarian AMD-65

Short of the Bulgarian, it is on par with the rest of the AK's on the market. Most of the complaints on Romanian guns, were faults layed on it by the hands of Century.(except for the sights)

Truth is, most of the AK's in America are parts guns. Even those aren't too awful bad. Most of the complete rifles are just fine. Sounds like we may have an AK snob in house:cool:

Last edited:

DBAR

I have a great AK47 made from a Romanian parts kit. The thing runs great, and is pretty damn accurate for an AK. Granted the parts kit appeared to of been unfired, and I had it put together by a good friend that was building them for a while.