Is the RKBA under greater threat now, or less?

Jeff Thomas

With the news of Flight 93, I had initially assumed that many more people would understand the logic of self defense, and the concept that American civilians are the first line of defense against criminals and terrorists.

I've decided I was naive.

While many people do seem to have learned that lesson from current events, it is becoming clear to me that things really haven't changed much, if at all.

Perhaps the division is more polarized now, but there are still many people whose first reaction is to further disarm decent American men and women.

In other words, it appears to me that the fight for the RKBA is not only still in process, but it is perhaps even more important than ever.

Your thoughts?

Regards from AZ

RenegadeX

My non-scientific observation suggests that while gun sales are up, ammo sales are up, CHL classes are up, so are the number of places prohibiting guns, knives and other weapons by law-abiding citizens.

Dead

They are going to try and use this to ban as many guns as possible, not to mention taking away as many of the freedoms we have left as possible also.

Lower Manhattan is looking like "Police State"...

Don Gwinn

Staff Emeritus
I disagree. HCI was never that effective in their heyday and politicians ("they") don't need HCI to make it worth their while to ban guns. They can sell that themselves.

I honestly don't know. For now, it certainly looks like a lot of people got the message for about a day and then decided it was too outrageous to believe in. After all, they're nice, normal people, not militia nuts. I'm beginning to believe that "they" have succeeded in framing the debate such that self defense, self-reliance and fighting back are all "fringe militia wacko ideas." Thus, people can see those ideas vindicated before their ideas but once the image is out of sight again they will convince themselves that it was just overreaction. They know reasonable people wouldn't hold those beliefs.

Quartus

When has a crisis not been an opprtunity to increase government control?

Remember that Hitler & Mussolini were elected on a law and order platform. "We'll make you safe!"

:barf:

Yes, it is an extremely dangerous time.

Is it more dangerous than Clinton's 8 years in office?

I'm not so certain about that.

Monkeyleg

At least temporarily RKBA is under less threat. We have quite a few newcomers to gun ownership, many of whom never realized what boulders our government has thrown in their path to take possession of their purchases. As fear recedes, these new guns will probably end up in the owners' closets and they won't pay attention to what new legislation may be looming.

But the anti's who are speaking out now are looking like ghouls, and we can only hope that their statements set them back a few years.

CONFEDERATE

The RKBA is still under attack as we speak. we should not let our guards down for one minute. Cause if we do, that's when the anti-gun nuts will come out in full force. right now they are basically laying low waiting for their chance to strike.

Brett Bellmore

Oh, a lot of people got it; I'm seeing informal polls showing 75%-80% support for arming flight crews on airliners; You scarcely get that level of support for apple pie or motherhood. In fact, I'd say about everybody has gotten it except politicians.

Dave R

I have been accused of being a naive optimist but...

I interpret the increase in guns & ammo sales as an increase in the number of people who are willing to take responsibility for their self-defense. There are anecdotes here on TFL about a number of recent converts and first-timers.

I also read a thread about the anti-CCW folks in MN dropping their efforts...

I hope this change in attitude will show up in the next elections.

If you can defeat a few more anti-gun politicians (state legislators, Governors, Congressmen and Senators), and elect a few more pro-RKBA politicians, we can change the balance of power a little more in our favor.

If Emerson is decided (or appealed to the Supreme Court) in this favorable climate, it might do better than otherwise.

If Bush can appoint a few new Supreme Court justices that are pro-RKBA...and his chances for getting someone good past the Senate just improved in my opinion...then we could make a more lasting shift in power.

Its the same fight we've always had. But I think the climate for our efforts is a little better. If we continue to push harder, I think we have a better chance of success. If we slack off, then we lose.

moa

One fly in the ointment is if terrorist attacks include firearms in a big way. Like shooting up a places with a lot of people. Maybe using explosives too. If you get enough of these instances, then RKBA could be in big trouble.

Even in Israel, where they used to these types of attacks, they still happen. Of course, the Israelis allow their citizens to be armed, or actually arm them. Even that is not a total deterient against gun attacks.

Waitone

People are reacting to a real, gut-felt fear of their own lives and the lives of their families. No politician in his right mind will tell voters they have it all wrong. The idea of govt being able to protect everyone everywhere at all time went up in a cloud of smoke when the WTC collapsed. As time goes on we will learn more about events onboard the flight that went down in PA. The same people who are fearful will also realize the only reason that plane did not complete its mission was because some UNARMED passengers decided to take things into their own hands and stop the mission.

It is no accident pilots and flight attendants and flying public want firearms onboard an aircraft. The issue is who will have them. Bush and the FAA may well make a tragic mistake and go with draconian security and no backup. The flying public is not stupid. A means of last ditch protection to stop an attack in common sense. I sense an impatience in the public with idiocy on the part of those who would protect us. Last week we hear that Bush does not want guns in the cockpit yet 2 days latter he authorized the air farce to shoot down straying, unresponsive planes. Common sense catches the disconnect. I've hear many gun-stoopid people catch that boner.

Anti-constitutionalists will lay low. To come out now in favor of more restrictions and controls would entail have one *ss handed the such a politician. They will come out later, but not now.

Right this minute, I'd say RKBA is more secure than it has been in some time; but the anti-terrorism legislation being proposed offers a greater threat to RKBA than anything Clinton did.

Ashcroft might be a member of the NRA (and many here would argue that being a member of the NRA isn't a particularly great sign of respect for civil rights) but I lose sleep at night thinking what a Clinton-like administration would do to RKBA with the laws being proposed to combat terrorism.

Jeff Thomas

Actually, the idiot flight attendants don't want the pilots to be armed ... the flight attendants union wants to put stun guns into the hands of their flight attendants.

That's right. Stun guns. Go figure.

Personally, I'll keep voting with my dollars and my feet ... if the FAA and the airlines can't get it straight, and allow pilots to carriy firearms, then I'll avoid commercial aircraft to the extent possible.

Regards from AZ

hkg3

Non lethal forms of defence scare the hell out of me, because sometimes they just don't work.

moa

On this morning's CBS morning show, I caught the tail-end of an interview by Bryant Gumball with some expert in the private security industry.

Bryant asked this guy what kind of future terrorist incidents can we expect? He thought no more airplane kamikaze attacks (I disagree). He also said attack using hazardous materials like clorine, etc., are likely.

He also mentioned two or three gunmen attacks on crowded and basically unprotected facilities like shopping malls, restaurants, etc. That is, soft targets.

Jeff Thomas

And, if you were a terrorist, would you choose a shall-issue, concealed carry state such as Arizona, or would Connecticut sound easier ...

Perish the thought, but if it does occur, it would be a service to the nation if armed civilians could help protect innocent life.

Regards from AZ

scud

I am sure they will use this against us eventually. However on the bright side many more people are armed then before so it will make for a great mess sooner or later.