Is the lubrisizer dead?

reloader28

I have no plans to quit casting. If I want to shoot, I make the bullets. No sense in buying store bought stuff when I can make it and it performs as good or better.

I have 2 lubesizers bolted down and use them alot. I have never and have no plans to powder coat. Everything I have shoots awesome with plain lube I make and it costs me NOTHING to do. Way cheaper than powder coating.

I love it when they say lubesizing is to slow. If I need a couple hundred bullets right now, I size them up and I'm reloading in 15 minutes.

dahermit

I have 2 lubesizers bolted down and use them alot. I have never and have no plans to powder coat. Everything I have shoots awesome with plain lube I make and it costs me NOTHING to do. Way cheaper than powder coating.
Which is cheaper is debatable. Making your own grease lube can lower cost, but some of the commercial hollow sticks are getting pricey.

Mike / Tx

I have two lube sizers, one 4500, and one Saeco. I use them both. I have half a dozen or more different colored powders as well that I dabble with on occasion, but like mentioned, it takes me twice as long or more to PC than it does to just sit down with a box of raw bullets and run them through the proper sizer.

Heck, I even have a nice big tray, covered in wax paper that I use to dump my mule snot coated bullets on to dry. Come to think of it, it has about 200 or so of the Lee TL452 230gr RN on it right now that need to be loaded. I did a side by side comparrison using these both PC'ed and TL'ed through my 1911's and the TL was more accurate in both of them. I used the same brand brass, primers, powder and charge weight. The only thing different was the coating. Both were run through the same Lee push through sizing die as well, just to make sure things were as equal as I could get them.

I use White Label Lube Carnuba Red for 99% of my loads, and just loaded up the Saeco with a stick of the Carnuba Blue to try out. So far I'm not overly fond of it, but it might be better once it cools down. I can run close to 500 rounds using the CR through my 1911's and my 9mm's before I have any issues. With using the CB I am only hitting around 50 or so consecutive shots before I am having to run a bore snake through to clear out the chamber. It isn't a huge issue to me, but it does get a bit frustrating when your in a good groove and things start to gunk up.

None the less, with all that said, I will continue to use the lube sizers for the majority of my cast shooting needs. Faster isn't the biggest part of it, as is the convenience of simply sitting down and knocking out several hundred bullets in a few minutes time comparatively, then walking over to the press and loading them, as mentioned above.

KenT7021

I have four lube sizers.All loaded with different lube and different sizer dies.I'm thinking about adding a fifth to the collection.My sizers are all Lyman.I bought the first one back in the 60's.For lube I currently use Carnuba Blue and Red,White Label 2500,and Lyman alox.Powder coating looks interesting but I have no desire to try it.

Rottweiler

I have a star lubrisizer. Since I got into powder coating there is no lube in it and it identifies its self as a boolit sizer

bbqncigars

My Sharps likes its boolits lubed. The same boolit with PC doesn't shoot as well. I can also run 200 boolits through the Star faster than I can make them via PC. Yeah, I also tried just sizing the PC stuff with the Star, but the gun said NO. In this case, size doesn't matter.

BBarn

I've basically stopped casting bullets. I tried different alloys and different diameters in a few different revolvers and got tired of cleaning up the barrel lead. Plus, cheap lead is getting hard to find. So for not much more money I can buy plated bullets and save the mess. I spent a good bit of money on bullet casting equipment and enjoyed casting bullets, but the results I sought eluded me.

Last edited:

dahermit

I spent a good bit of money on bullet casting equipment and enjoyed casting bullets, but the results I sought eluded me.
If you would list the problems you were having and the particulars (loads, guns, lube, etc.), I am sure that those problems could be remedied. There have been cast bullets used successfully in firearms since the invention of gunpowder.

BBarn

I may take you up on that. It will take me some time to put a decent summary together. If I do so, I'll start another thread to keep from derailing this one.

jaysouth

Kind of late on this thread.

I tumble lube anything shot below 1,200 fps in Ben's liquid lube.

For the velocity/pressure ranges of 1,200 to 1,600 fps, I powder coat.

At velocities above that I run heat tempered hard alloy bullets through a Lyman or RCBS lube/sizer with MML+.

I am experimenting with Hi-Tec, but have not perfected that yet. I know of a more advanced hobbiest that used uses Hi-tec, heat tempers the final cure and then lubes in MML+. He gets good accuracy at 2,600 in a 30-06. I am not there yet.

kmw1954

I'm late too.

When I 1st restarted Handloading I also thought about casting and have been a forum member over at Cast Boolits for as long as I've been here.

While I was shooting revolvers all I shot back then was either Speer or Hornady cast lead because they were readily available, cheap and there was no internet to search.

So while studying the subject I found that recycled lead around these parts is almost impossible to find. Illinois did away with lead wheel weights years ago and the metal recyclers won't talk to anyone because it's a hazardous material. Easy supplies have vanished.

Next comes all the problems I have read of people having while trying to start casting for the 9mm because of the tapered case and also the great variance in barrel sizes. Still thinking of looking for molds for the 380acp and trying that though.

shootniron

Mine is...powder coating killed it graveyard dead.

Since my first batch of powder coated bullets...I have never conventionally lubed another bullet and no plans to resume.

USSR

I don't do plastic - either guns (Glocks) or bullets (PC). My Lyman 450 gets fed White Label BAC lube and turns out really nice bullets.

Don

Chainsaw.

Im a powder coater, I see no positives of traditional lube over powder coat save for it you are already set up to do lubing. But then, powder coat takes very little to equipment, I think Im invested about $25 into it. Once coated I use the cheap lee push through sizers, which is a sizer...but not a lubrisizer, so to the question "is the luberisizer dead?".......maybe?

Grey_Lion

My casting direction has "matured" :) I now cast soft 9mm rounds to use as cores in my .40 custom hollow points swaged using annealed 9mm brass. Manufacturers are simply too proud of their JHP. And I love testing my rounds for spread and fragmentation. It is development of the craft of bullet making. Right now there's forum members CRINGING that I'm using up "perfectly good" 9mm brass to make .40 hollow points but fear not.... I only use the oddball crap 9mm brass which there seems to be PLENTY of.

GTOne

Powder coating has brought casting back in a big way, it is huge compared to just 5 years ago. There is little reason to go with old school conventional lubes for bullets.

jaguarxk120

Those big Keith 44 bullets still like the 50/50 mix from my Lyman luber/sizer.
Right now I can't see starting something new when the Alox/Beeswax work for me.