Is the lubrisizer dead?

briandg

How many people still cast, how many cast in such a dedicated way that they will absolutely have to have one on the bench?

I took mine off. I'm just too old to care, I started buying bullets. I might even sell it, but why? It would be pointless to get rid of all casting equipment and lead just so someone can go to the gunshop and brag about the score be made with a stupid old man.

dahermit

It would be pointless to get rid of all casting equipment and lead just so someone can go to the gunshop and brag about the score be made with a stupid old man.
You likely understand what you meant by that, but we cannot see into your mind nor have your frame of reference. I have no idea what was meant by that. Does anyone else have a clue?

SouthGA

Another scenario would be the situation where you did decide to sell your casting equipment and a person bought it that wanted to learn and proudly told those others of the great buy and great person that afforded him that opportunity and passed to him the torch and then that legacy continued.

That person praising you would be me if I were closer and the opportunity came up.

polska

I still cast. I don't cast pistol or .30 cal. anymore but I couldn't shoot my trapdoors or Sharps without casting and sizing. I also cast balls and minie balls for my muzzle loaders. I guess you could buy them but it is a hell of a lot cheaper to cast these types of projectiles.

jaguarxk120

I still cast, the bullets you can not buy. Such as 45 Colt 255 grain with square grease grouves and a 160 grain 38 with the same square grouve.

And I use three lubrisizers, two lyman and a RCBS.

And I enjoy using older equipment.

dahermit

I just shoot too much to afford to buy commercial bullets. So, I cast a whole lot using two six-cavity Lee molds at a time for volume. Despite the fact that I have stopped lubing with my Lyman 450 lube-sizer, I still use it to size the bullets after powder coating. I have about 6-8 hollow sticks of NRA formula Alox lube that I will not likely ever use. I am sticking with sizing with the Lyman whereas most who powder coat use a Lee push-through die because I already have the machine and the sizing dies for the handgun cartridges I shoot. My biggest problem is finding the 300 or so pounds of lead I need each year...and that problem is not likely to change.

Beagle333

I still have and use 8 lubrisizers. (I don't like to change dies)
I powdercoat when the weather is nice, but lately it has been all humid and rainy (about 3 months now) and so I use the lubers.

TruthTellers

It's not, but I can't say I'm ever going to buy one.

I've been sold on powder coating and if I do get into casting bullets, I won't be sizing them with a lubrisizer.

armoredman

I have never had a lubrisizer, never could afford one. I just powder coat instead. The rare times I do hard lube, I do it via little pan on the stove method.
You might look on castboolits to see if any new casters might really be itching for a setup, where you could get someone else into the hobby, if you want.

reddog81

I considered going the lubesizer route a couple of years ago when I started casting but powder coating sounded much cheaper and probably better(no exposed lead on the bullet). I'd buy a lubesizer if I could get a good deal on the machine and the sizers I would need.

I'd be interested in trying one because I believe the speed would be significantly faster. It does take time to setup all the bullets to be baked, and then you have to run them through a sizer afterwards. With the lubesizer I believe it would take less than half the time.

pete2

I haven't cast a bullet in over 20 years but I ain't selling the lubrisizer of my molds. You never know..........................................................

dahermit

I'd be interested in trying one because I believe the speed would be significantly faster. It does take time to setup all the bullets to be baked, and then you have to run them through a sizer afterwards. With the lubesizer I believe it would take less than half the time.
If you mean using the lubesizer to both size and lube the bullets instead of powder coating then sizing, then yes it would be faster. However, if you mean powder coating then using the lubesizer to only size, then no...the guys using the Lee push-though die to size their powder coated bullets are doing it faster.

lee n. field

s the lubrisizer dead?
How many people still cast, how many cast in such a dedicated way that they will absolutely have to have one on the bench?

I took mine off. I'm just too old to care, I started buying bullets. I might even sell it, but why? It would be pointless to get rid of all casting equipment and lead just so someone can go to the gunshop and brag about the score be made with a stupid old man.

I haven't cast for 4 or 5 years now. Running the lubrisizer is a pain, and it leaks lube badly.

I'm seriously contemplating casting some more and trying my hand at powder coating.

muzzleblast...

I am keeping my lubrisizers...and all of my other vintage casting and reloading gear. For me, it really isn't about cost, or production, it is a hobby.

gwpercle

I still cast and I still use my Lyman 450 to lube size .
I enjoy doing it and take pride in the fact I can cast nearly perfect bullets. Nothing is perfect. Started in 1967 , I taught myself and consider lead bullet production an art. A lot of people can't do it .
I can also make the exact size and type I want. Buying them leaves you at the mercy of the dealer.
I like being the master of my bullet supply.
Gary

lee n. field

Vintage casting and reloading gear...Egad.

It's actually kind of interesting to look at old reloading books. The equipment is sometimes exactly what we can get now, other times some wild oddball thing that no one has seen since.

Been thinking about doing the same. Only reason lately keeping that RCBS lubesizer bolted to the bench these days? Too dry/ resize my oversized paper patch cast down to a couple thousands over their bore. (30-30 & 300 Savage.)

[not much of a reason to keep it bolted given some additional thought.]

It doesn't make much sense for me to tinker around with gas checked cast or Paper Patched cast anymore. I need too use what I have. i.e. 2-plastic Medium size storage containers filled to their Brim with store bought jacketed bullets before dementia befuddles this old Home Reloader's hair covered computer.

Just saying.
Selling my RCBS & Pacific reloading equipment? Never to a gun shop!! Would rather give all away to my Gun Club's young reloader's so to bring about many surprises and beaming smiles.

reddog81

If you mean using the lubesizer to both size and lube the bullets instead of powder coating then sizing, then yes it would be faster. However, if you mean powder coating then using the lubesizer to only size, then no...the guys using the Lee push-though die to size their powder coated bullets are doing it faster.

Yes, Lube and Size in one fell swoop. I currently PC and then size. Powder coating works great but it just seems wrong that it takes me longer to PC and size 200 bullets than it takes to knock out 200 rounds on my Lock N Load.

Dufus

I cast maybe 3 to 4 times per year. Right now I have close to 13 lbs of 0.431 bullets alone.

Like GW, I started in the late 60s and have enjoyed it every time.

I ain't giving up or slowing down.