is the FN/FAL still around?

stuckinthe60s

what was the time line on stocks on the fn?
did they start out with wood stocks like the m14, then switch to fiberglass or composite later on?

Chindo18Z

The Cruise? I don't even attend Chapter meetings. LOL.

Other than The Drop, I maintain little contact with my past career. 35 years in ARSOF was enough. Just another long retired FAG (Former Action Guy).

To avoid thread drift, go to PM for any other questions.

stuckinthe60s

topic drift.........back on track please.

what was the time line on stocks on the fn?
did they start out with wood stocks like the m14, then switch to fiberglass or composite later on?

SR420

I have been following a local seller attempting to divest himself from the FAL, his chrome lined 18" DSA SA58 FAL has been listed for over a month at a price lower than your basic M1A and there is little interest. The FAL may in fact be dying the slow death you mentioned.

stuckinthe60s

talking to others, ive been reminded of the fact that there are metric and inch guns....and one needs to be careful as to who built them with what parts.
seems the fn is one of those guns that can be easily assembled as a frankengun with cross threaded parts.
but I still don't know what kind of stocks they were most commonly fitted with early on.
a quick study shows me they started out the fn/fal, then the L1A1.
and gb/great britain dumped them in 87 in favor for the '80 bullpup.
curious if the traditional 21" bbl version is bbl heavy when carried by the carrying handle? or with a loaded mag in it, it balances out.

veprdude: You mentioned that "mags are dirt cheap".

If you meant the DSA mags-they are scorned by all of the builders and seasoned FAL owners on the FALfiles. They are known as very unreliable, and DSA has been well-aware of this for many years.

The milsurp metric mags now cost about $50.

The Inch-pattern mags typically now are approx. $90-100.

The top FAL gun smith in the US, Mark Graham, won't even try one out, because there is little chance that a DSA mag will feed reliably. He just corrected some issues with my "Century L1A1 Sporter" FAL, shipped my rifle to our house a week ago.

stuckinthe60s

curious if the traditional 21" bbl version is bbl heavy when carried by the carrying handle? or with a loaded mag in it, it balances out.

stuckinthe60s:
With the carry handle of my 21" barrel Aussie L1A1 rotated to the full-up position, :cool:perfect balance when carrying empty or with (only) the 15 rds. I briefly had in the magazine.

For lurkers and other curious viewers, here is just a molecule from a drop in the bucket regarding what is available.
https://www.gunbroker.com/Guns-Firearms/search?Keywords=fal&PageSize=24&Sort=4&View=1

The only company regularly producing the FAL rifle is DSA https://www.dsarms.com/c-936-ds-arms-sa58-fal-rifles.aspx

;)A true story: "The Siege of Jadotville", with FALs.:coolhttps://i.ytimg.com/vi/O5J3YfM17e4/maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

akinswi

back in the glory days of the 7.62NATO, gb use to carry them.
now, I never see them.
anyone still using them or has it been sent into the shadows to die a slow death?
Did Great Britian carry the FAL or the L1A1? isnt one metric the FAL and L1A1 was standard? DSA arms used to have tons of them.

I have owned two and I never did really like any of mine. I felt like the M1A was overall a better rifle in my opinion. I did like the battle sights on the FAL but I like most battle sights with rear peep.

The gas adjustments on the FAL too me was always an interesting feature

akinswi:

Britain (L1A1), Canada (C@?) and “Oz” (L1A1) all had inch-pattern FALs.
But South Africa had metric iirc, using Belgian tooling.

Some Inch components can work with certain Metric components, ie a metric upper receiver often could be used.

As I’m not very knowledgeable, therefore time must be spent on FALfiles.

The Admin W.E.G. published a long list of small Inch-Pattern parts which can not interchange with Metric. Under the L1A1 forum?

If today’s .308 ammo were the same price as 7.62x39 ammo, these rifles would be much more popular and expensive. The “elephant in the room”.

akinswi

Yes, I remember some inch mags would not fit my imbel receiver FAL, my DSA Fal never had any issues I cant remember if they made there own receivers or not. But yes 7.62 x51 ammo was really expensive. I used to shoot alot of Southafrican milsurp in mine it was fantastic ammo.

I dont think you were suppose to shot .308 winchester in most of them I could be wrong tho.

I never did always used nato ammo in mine

smee78

I had Mark Graham of ARS assemble me a rifle on a DSA receiver and an Imbel parts kit. I finally got all the parts needed to send in another kit for a Para build. I enjoy the 30cal battle rifles, they always bring interest from everyone at the range when I bring one out. I just wish 308 was cheaper these days.

Here is the entire website:
For topics about FALs which are mostly Metric-pattern, go to the "FN" forum.

If you prefer mostly "Inch-pattern" topics, visit the "L1A1..." forum.

https://www.falfiles.com/

In the "FAL facts and Library", click here for a long list stating Whether specific Metric or Inch parts are interchangeable.

This is contributed by the FALfiles' Admin "W.E.G.", who has made 48,000 Posts in the website. He knows his rifles.

https://www.falfiles.com/threads/interchangeable-parts-inch-versus-metric.240806/

Last edited:

Erno86

Duffys Gun Room has one up for auction --- $3,500 --- on Gunbroker

D.S. Arms Zimbabwe/Rhodesian FAL Rifle

Erno86:
Even novices might have learned that the company (DSA) has used the paint scheme to try to imitate some of the original Rhodesians.

The new, current-production FALs by DSA— in standard black— are priced from about $1,800. You can observe online how to create a Rhodie look. Kinda hard to compete with a $700 AR which hordes of people want their friends to buy.

Aside from that, High ammo prices (and the Hair Sniffer’s :rolleyes:economy) seem to be exerting a major influence now on the very Soft, oversaturated market for PTR-91s, M1As, FALs, even AKMs and ARs using much less-expensive ammo etc.

Last edited:

akinswi

Not to mention you can buy a Springfield Armory Standard M1A for around the same money and its a vastly more accurate rifle.

So that Doesn’t help the FALS. 13 years ago they were under 1000.00 (FALS) M1AS were around 1600.00

If anyone needs a FAL dust cover with pictanny rail its yours, PM if your interested.