is slimness in a concealed carry firearm overrated?

is slimness in a concealed carry firearm overrated?

• Total voters

Cemo

If I'm not mistaken the slide on your 6906 is thin less than an inch, not counting the safety. The grip is thicker, but the thin slide is where the comfort is. You might look around, that's alway fun, but you do have an ideal IWB carry pistol IMO.

denfoote

Small and light is a good thing.
I pocket carry almost all the time, these days, due to an arthritic strong side hip.
I carry the PF-9.

Nilloc

Not overrated at all. I carried around a Glock 30, IWB for several weeks and it felt like I had a brick in my pants. Then I purchased a 36 and it made a world of difference. To me, every millimeter of width counts (insert joke here).

stand watie

Bluetrain,

to answer your question: YES. numerous TX agencies (mostly in small towns/counties) still use "single column" autos. (a FEW small agencies still "officially" issue revolvers. - PRIVATELY/officer owned weapons are still common here.) = mostly .45ACP/.38Super Colt's GM pistols. - furthermore, the members of our Ranger Service use nothing else!
(along the border, several agencies issue .38Super semi-autos because MEXICO disallows police from using any "military caliber handgun". - i've forever thought that that practice was "weird".)

yours, sw

JIMSPD9

Solving the problem

Take about $600 to the gun store and buy a WALTHER PPS. Not to heavy. Not to fat. It's a real shooter right out of the box. Remember that your pistol & mine is a better marksman than we are. You gotta, practice, practice, practice.

JIMSPD9

tlm225

I have both a Glock 23 and a Kahr K40. Fully loaded, their weight is equal. Loaded +1 the Glock gives me 14 rounds, the Kahr 7. I'm equally accurate with both. Both have been totally reliable. When I carry concealed I usually go with the Kahr, the width and the grip size matter to me. Having spent many years working the street with a revolver using .38 specials with 2 reloads, I don't feel inadequately armed with the Kahr.

stand watie

BlueTrain; all,

fyi, i was in an "officer's in-service training" course this AM & TWO of our classmembers said that their department still "officially issues" .357MAG REVOLVERS (though NOBODY, who is currently employed as a LEO, was actually carrying "department issue"!) & THREE classmembers were carrying ISSUED Colt's .45ACP Government Models.

yours, sw

Geezer Squid

Thin is low on my list of desired features in a carry gun. Firepower is number one reliability is number two!! Glock 30SF for me. Eleven rounds of 230 gr JHP destruction on my belt. YMMV and I respect that.

jaughtman

Absolutely!

In the summer, when I have to switch to IWB because of thin clothing, it is my PPK almost 100% of the time. In winter, back to the good ole' BHP!

J

orionengnr

In the winter time, when I can wear a bulky sweatshirt or jacket/coat, I carry a 4" N-frame. Unfortunately, that time is rather short.

The rest of the year it is a shirt or t-shirt weather. I cannot effectively conceal a double stack--I have tried.

So I carry a single stack, and am fine with that. I shoot a 1911 better than anything else, and hitting what you aim at is the primary agenda.

Carry_24/7

Quote:
"Your firearm should be comforting, not comfortable."

I hate that line, and ignore it to the fullest extent possible. If there were not a large lineup of "comfortable" but yet effective guns to choose from, then ok, go with what you have to even if its uncomfortable. I would rather be uncomfortable and carry than not carry at all. But, thats not the case. No CCW holder need be uncomfortable carrying in today's gun market.

Skans

For me, height and length of the firearm are the two most important factors for concealed carry. Next is weight. Next is capacity. Last (for me) is how slim it is.

TBT

For me length (meaning slide/barrel length) isn't a factor at all. Unless you are talking about a 12" barrel I've found there is absolutely no practical difference in carrying a 4" barrel and a 3" barrel. Because of this I see no reason to own a gun with less than a 4" barrel. It's all disadvantage and no advantage.