Is Ruger discontinuing the Mini?

smince

The confusion may be a result of the fact that, with the new model rear/front sight, Ruger is combining features. The term "Mini-14" isn't in the 2005 catalog. They are now "Ranch Rifle" and "Mini-30". The Ranch is still the same rifle (I know the ejector/buffer system is different than the Mini) it just has the fully adjustable, protected sights + the built-in scope mounts. Same way with the Mini-30, which was only ever offered in the "Ranch" configuration. So, yes, I guess in a way, the "Mini-14" is being discontinued.
But not really. Does this make sense?

Handy

You guys are trying to rewrite history. Alot of very good shooters have spent alot of time behind Minis, and they do not, as a whole, group well. This is simply not attributable to shooting style or anything else aside from the gun.

Though a number of factors come into play, the Mini groups poorly because the barrel is simply too thin, especially for having that gas block clamped to it.

What is amazing here is that Ruger could correct the problem, and doesn't. While it doesn't need to drive tacks, it could easily be built for 2 MOA, just like the M-14 it is modeled on.

TPAW

That's why I purchased the 30 in Stainless. Harder steel, does not heat up as fast, cools faster, retains more rigidity. Results, very good accuracy at 100yds. out of the box. I also believe that the size of the bore on the new'er one's has something to do with it, it's not the same as the older ones.
It will never be a tack driver, but at 100 yds. I can cover my groups with the bottom of a styrafoam coffee cup, about 1 1/2 to 2 inches. For my needs, target and hunting in dense woods, it will serve the purpose just fine.
If I want a tack driver, I'll choose one of my bolt actions.

Last edited:

vitesse9

Ruger IS NOT Getting rid of the Mini

Look at the new catalog. All they did was put some new sights on the minis. They all now have a ghost ring set-up that is very similar to the 30 carbine.

It also looks like they are all now going to come stock with the Scope ring mounts formerly only found on the ranch rifles and mini-30s, and the Mini 30 is no longer available with a wood stock. :mad:

Oh, BTW, TPAW wrote:

I've tried different ammo, and believe it or not, it loves the Wolf 154 grain JSP. I bought some Corbon 150 grain JSP to see if will do better but have not had the chance to get to the range yet.

TPAW, the 150 gr. corbons are incredible in my mini 30 (2002 model). Given what you say about the 154 gr. Wolf soft points, maybe the 30s like the heavier bullets-- my 30 is so-so with any of the many 123 gr. rounds I've tried. But put those Corbon soft points in there and she's a different rifle.

Also, TPAW wrote:

[the Mini 30] will never be a tack driver, but at 100 yds. I can cover my groups with the bottom of a styrafoam coffee cup, about 1 1/2 to 2 inches. For my needs, target and hunting in dense woods, it will serve the purpose just fine. If I want a tack driver, I'll choose one of my bolt actions.

Yup. It's not fair to compare the minis 14s to ARs. It's also not fair to write off the Mini 30s as "overpriced SKSs". My SKS is for fun at the range. My mini 30 is for hunting. Neither are tack drivers, and the 30 isn't going to win any matches. But she's a tough, reliable brush gun that is plenty accurate for what most of her owners need her for. As a light, handy little carbine, she's more versitile that a lever-action 30/30, while she serves the same purpose. Yes, SKSs are cheaper, but for those of us who love minis, there's just no comparison-- the balance, the weight, the feel: all are factors that make the Mini 30 desireable in the face of cheaper 7.62x39 carbines.

Last edited:

TPAW

VITESSE9.....Very well put. And yes, I agree: my 30 does not like the 123 or 125 grain bullet. It performs very well with the heavier 150 grains. As for the performance in that grain, the 7.62x39 in 154 grain JSP, slightly out performs the 30-30 150 gain. So anyone who trys to tell you that the 7.62x39 is not suitable for deer, refer them to the ballastics charts.

DPris

Member Emeritus
As mentioned above, the "Mini 14" in its original "top"-ejecting form is gone. The "side"-ejecting Ranch Rifle version with recoil buffer and the new sights & stock configuration is the only .223 version now being produced.
I'm told Ruger has re-worked something for improved accuracy, but not specifically what. I'll get around to shooting the one here after I get the Frontier boltgun done, probably in about two weeks. When I start to work with the Ranch Rifle I'll try to narrow down what exactly was done inside.
Denis

smince

I'll get around to shooting the one here after I get the Frontier boltgun done,

I'm looking forward to some straight info on the Frontier. What caliber are you testing?

Thanks

DPris

Member Emeritus
Doing it in .308. The .300 WSM is kind of a waste in that short barrel, in my opinion, the other calibers are less useful to me & less interesting in a GP carbine.
Denis

LdyAtavist

You might also consider building him his own AR, and using an A1 butstock instead of the A2, as well as the aforementioned shortened pistol grips. The A1 butstock is shorter than the A2 - of course, there are also other adjustible stock options out there. Plus, depending on how old he is, you could make him one with colored furniture from CavArms. I saw a little guy at the range last week with a blue AR in M-4 config, and he looked pretty happy with it - his dad had also done a really good job fitting the rifle for his son specifically, so it was comfortable for him.