Is Ruger discontinuing the Mini?

Onslaught

I make it a rule NEVER to believe what anyone at the gunshop counter tells me, BUT....

I was told today at a gunshop that Ruger was discontinuing the Mini-14 and Mini-30. I just said "oh yeah? huh... interesting" and thinking "BS" the whole time. But just now, I went to the Ruger website, and all the models of Mini-14 and Mini-30 are GONE! They're still mentioned in the overview, but when you click on the link to choose either "Mini14, Mini30, or Ranch Rifle", the search comes back with ZERO.

Anybody?

I want to buy my son one for his birthday in June. He's too short to use my AR's comfortably (pistol grip on the range table makes it too tall for him) so I figured the Mini would be lower on the table. I may need to look out for a good used one now.

Third_Rail

Wow, they might be... why would they keep that entire thing open and the names up, though? Are they in the 2005 printed catalog?

WillBrayjr

I doubt they will drop the Mini series. The Mini rifles have been around for some 30 years and are popular with prisons and LE as well as civilians.

DPris

Member Emeritus
Not sure exactly what's gone there, I'll find out at the SHOT Show in Vegas on Friday.
But... I picked up the new Ranch Rifle today. Synthetic stock, grey finish on the stainless steel, new sights. Not sure what other changes, haven't had time to take it apart & have not discussed the gun with Ruger yet.
Denis

Laz

It looks like Ruger is doing some updating and tweaking on their website. I know from reading that the Mini is being changed a bit this year, e.g. I think the buttplate is being changed and the sight used on the Ranch version is being update to a more sturdy rear peep still compatible with the scope-mount system. I think there are some other changes also but don't know what they are. Perhaps they have simply taken that part of the site down for updating, since they still list the Mini elsewhere on the site. I even heard a rumor recently that Ruger is going to offer magazines larger than 5 rounds. I'm sure we'll all know soon.

DPris

Member Emeritus
I picked up the Frontier Semi Scout at the same time.
Nice little carbine, put a Burris 2.75 Scout Scope on it.
Looking forward to shooting it.
Denis

TPAW

It all boil$ down to the almighty dollar guy$. As long a$ Ruger is $elling Mini 14 and 30'$, and making lot$ of money doing it, they will keep punching them out.

PsychoSword

Gotta wonder how Ruger is gonna continue to sell this sorry excuse for a carbine when they're already asking $599 and more for them. For $100-$200 more you can get a much, MUCH better rifle. An AR-15. And it uses cheaper more available magazines. The Kel-Tec is also gonna put a hurt on Mini sales.

I guess it's all about marketing. But we already knew that.

smince

They are in the 2005 catalog. In addition to the new rear peep, the front has been re-designed also. It now has wings and is similiar to the M1 Carbine front sight. Guess Choate will have to design a new flash suppressor. :)

My dealer went to a Ruger Dealer's show a few weeks ago. He didn't say anything about them being discontinued. he did speak highly of the Frontier(Scout) and the new Vaquero.

Chick

The Mini 14 is much more reliable than the AR, although it is not as accurate. It is a fine carbine. I own both rifles. My AR is match conditioned, and shoots sub 1" groups, while my Mini14 shoots 2 1/2" groups (at 100yds). My AR has had problems with it's ejector, while the Mini14 has literally been drug through the mud and still worked perfectly.

Handy

Chick,

Instead of making blanket statements about all AR-15s, why don't you have your ejector fixed?

tulsamal

The Mini 14 is much more reliable than the AR

Yeah, that's why the US and Israeli Armies (among many others) picked the Mini-14 for general issue, right? I mean if the M-16 had been any good we would have picked it for general issue back in the 60's, continued to refine the design through the A2 and M4 and still use it today, right?

Yeah right. The only military organization that fielded the Mini-14 was the A-Team!

Gregg

smince

Tulsamal;

Now that's a funny post. :)

I've tried several Mini's. A 2001 Ranch with a 3x9 MILDOT was the only one that was even remotely accurate. Sometimes it would produce 2.5-3" groups. Mostly larger. Even my SKS with short 16" barrel shot consistent 3" with WOLF 7.62x39.

HAWKIN

Seriously,

There are a number of companies that produce a shortened ar15 pistol grip (all the way down to a single finger grip, yup...for field packing).

Save your money, shorten the AR15s grip for your kid and teach him on the rifle you shoot.....and will hopefully someday give to him. Spend your money on the AR15 if you have to spend the money. You'll be teaching the kid another important lesson....

smince

Personally, I'm waiting to get my hands on one of the Scout's...er, um, I mean "Frontier" in .308. And maybe one of the new Vaquero's in .45LC with the reduced grip, 4 5/8" barrel.