Is Midway going out of business???

Paul B.

A while back they had a smokin' dal on Timney triggers so I order five along with an inch pound torque wrench that I've been wanting to get. The wrench would ship the next day, but the triggers were on back order. It would be 5 to 6 weeks on the triggers. I said OK. The wrench arrived as scheduled and the triggers came the NEXT day. ***? make one wonder if they're getting a kick back from the shippers?
Paul B.

Sevens

Well, I ordered this at 10 am yesterday, and they shipped it out of their warehouse at 10 pm the same night:

RCBS Pow'r Pull Impact Bullet Puller
Lee Auto Prime 2 Press Mounted Priming tool with feed
Pachmayr 30-Piece Professional Gunsmith screwdriver w/bits
Frankford Arsenal Fine Powdered Mica for case mouth
Wilson Combat Shok-Buff Recoil Buffer (spring plus two buffers)
Wolff Recoil Spring S&W 1006, 22-pound
Imperial Case Sizing Wax 2 oz
Lee Chamfer Tool, two of them
Wilson Combat Shok-Buff Kit 1911 extra buffers (6)
Lee Powder Funnel 22 to 45 Caliber

I'll admit, there's not 2,000 lead bullets in that order or anything else heavy, and I also didn't order any hazmat stuff. But that order was processed in under 12 hours and they charged me $9.99 to ship it UPS. I even had my choice to use Priority Mail for 20 cents cheaper, but chose UPS since I'd rather have them handling it.

I also donated just under eight bucks to the NRA.

ssn vet

Uh...what Sevens said...:)

I've used several others and always price shop.....

Midway still earns the lion's share of my business.....

as for why they are out of stock on items.....it seems pretty obvious to me......people are ordering like hot cakes and their OEM suppliers can't meet the demand.

Midway is one of, if not the most financially well backed distributors out there. I doubt they are lacking the funds to keep the warehouse full.

Based on the technology they have invested in their web site and order processing system, I'd bet their inventory management is state of the art as well.

From my limited experience, Midway isn't the only place out of stock. I have gun parts on back order from two other venders right now as I set up for my first AR build.

Shooting sports are gaining a lot of popularity, and drawing in new participants like never before. That translates into demand.

also....a lot of guys are freeking out over the political forecast and stocking up (as am I)

I won't pay shipping twice, if Midway doesn't have it in stock, I seek elsewhere, hold my order or do without.

Fortunately, I have a very well stocked dealer with competetive pricing nearby for powder, primers and little things. Not paying no stinkin' hazmat fees if I can help it.

Midway's sale prices are seldom beat. I enjoy perusing their mailer every month and when I see something on my mental wish list on sale, I know it's a deal.

mustang66maniac

I doubt midway is going out of business. They are probably feeling the effects of the slow economy just like everybody else, thanks to good ol' G DUB!

Sevens

Well, Midway just flat-out LIED to me.

When I placed my 10 am order on Wednesday, they told me the expected delivery date would be Wednesday, March 19. And the package arrived today.

Now what am I supposed to do next Wednesday? I thought I would have one great Wednesday, you know? A box full of goodies on the front porch? Instead, I won't be getting any box on Wednesday.

Well, hell, I bet if I order something right now, I'd probably have it by Wednesday! :D

swmike

Midway's being out of stock is no worse than what I am seeing from a local dealer that is no way going out of business. They can't get enough powder, primers, and bullets from the suppliers to keep up with the demand. People that used to come in for a couple of hundred bullets, a couple of small packets of primers, and a pound of powder are now buying several 8# jugs of powder, a case of primers, and a case of bullets. More volume today with more people reloading. Let's face it, there are just more people.

Midway will be with us for some time. Some like them, some hate them, and some don't care. It's just like any other business out there.

FWIW, I have had nothing but good experiences with Midway. Even their backorders are handled in a professional manner. I have been retired for over 5 years now and had to deal with manufacturers. If you want to hear horror stories about things far more essential than reloading supplies in one sales outlet, how about tires. Some common sizes on year long national backorder and none available ---anywhere. Try being a tire dealer and not being able to buy your namesake product.

TexasSeaRay

First, thanks Mustang for having me add you to my Ignore List. If I want politics, I'll go wade through the cesspool that is Legal & Political.

Secondly, as far as OEM being out of stock and that being why Midway has so much "out of stock, backorder okay" tags on their online merchandise listings. . . I ain't buying it.

There were three basic, but specific things I've been looking to buy. One is from RCBS, another is from Lee and the last one is from Lyman. Midway is "out of stock, backorder okay" on all three of the items, which are fairly common. Estimated time to ship ranged from several days to several weeks.

I called RCBS, Lee and Lyman. All three manufacturers had buttloads of these items and had no idea why Midway would be out of stock "unless, they just haven't ordered them from us."

Just received two separate orders. One from Cabela's and the other from Midsouth. Both beat Midway's prices by better than twenty-percent, shipping was almost forty-percent less, and their customer service was (as always) exceptional and outstanding.

Oh, and they had the stuff in stock.

Customer service is vital to this industry, no doubt about it. But you can no longer hang your hat on a single nail in this day and age of one-touch (online/mail-order) shopping and expect to always have a hat to hang.

It seems Midway continues to change nails, but always come back to defend the "customer service" nail when all the others are no longer applicable.

And customer service alone doesn't do it for me. Not only do I expect great customer service, I demand it. It's my money and I have a choice where and with whom to spend it. No customer service and no business from me. That is the criteria I use to level my shopping playing field.

Where it then gets tilted in one business or another's favor is in prices, selection and shipping. And in the last four to five years, for me, Midway has positioned themselves on the wrong end of the playing field.

Jeff

mustang66maniac

First, thanks Mustang for having me add you to my Ignore List. If I want politics, I'll go wade through the cesspool that is Legal & Political.

OH NO! PLEASE DON"T IGNORE ME. WHAT WILL I DO?:eek:

Gotta love the touchy bush lovers:rolleyes:

Gotta love the touchy bush lovers

Well, mustang, at first I thought you'd understand that you're out in left field on your rationale. It has nothing to do with if TSR liking Bush. Hell, I don't even know nor will I insinuate that he does or not. The entire point was this thread was about Midway as a company and similar businesses service. This isn't the L&P thread. And, even if it was, your claim has no substance to back it.

Then again, I don't think you'd get TSR's point if you really think everything bad is due to one person. So, I digress and only wished my ignore feature worked...

And now, back to the topic at hand....

Wiskers and 38,
I do thank you for the enlightenment of the respose you guys got back. I do think Mr. Potterfield's response is genuine. However, as much as he may try to keep tabs on his business, I can't fathom him being able to see the exact details of every aspect of the daily operations.

My point of reason is that TSR stated three common items that should always be in stock (since Mr. Potterfield claims such a vast inventory) wasn't. Not only that, he called the sources and verified they had these items stocked in numbers. Small details like this I think doesn't get across Mr. Potterfield's desk. And, these small "details" are a big deal to the average consumer.

Last edited:

Hook686

02-26-2008, 08:39 AM #17
Sevens wrote:

...Another thing about their prices: There seem to be some online merchants that are under cutting their prices on a lot of things, but I can't come even in the hemisphere of matching their prices (forget beating them) with brick and mortar gun shops or even gun shows. Everything I buy or need costs less at Midway than it does at any of the shops I stumble across. And the few dealers at gun shows who have reloading supplies aren't offering prices as low as Midway....

Yup ... and pretty soon the 'mom&pop' gunshop/gunsmith will be a thing of the past ... just as service stations. Personally I'm willing to do much of my business and my gunsmith's shop simply because I'm hopping he stays in business a while longer. No he does not sell reloading equipment, but another local gunshop does. I'd like to see both of them stay in business. I've been 'burned' by Midway and online business are tough to get errors resolved.

txpete

if my local dealer has what I need I buy from him even if it is a few dollars more.its much better going into a real gun shop than talking to some bozo on the phone:D.

kraigster414

A lot of premature speculation about Midway and a few folks need a reality check on the need for rising s/h fees. No business can absorb the increasing cost of freight without passing it on to the customer. Gas will with some certainty climb to 5 bucks a gallon and if it holds, you are not going to recognize this country. So get ready becasuse everything is going to go up. As for Midway, I continue to order from them regularly, gunsmithing supplies from Brownells. Midway is fast, reliable and I have found that the occassinal back ordered item is shipped within a few weeks or less. Rarely do I need something "yesterday." As for any retailer that that adds a surcharge for credit cards, they will not get my business. And Graf's and others' inventory pales in comparison to Midway's. Between Midway and Brownells, there is virtually nothing shootng related absent firearms you can't find. Midway has been an outstanding supporter of the shooting sports and has earned my business.

Txpete, hot off the press....you don't have to call in your order, you can order online. What a concept.

I have zero to do with Midway, just a satisfied customer since the 1980's.

kyle663

hey guys, I drive a flatbed semi, cost of fuel is part of the increase in cost and overseas contries are buying up all the brass, copper and lead, not to mention steel they can get. thats why the shortage. i noticed when i went to cabelas today primers are in short supply all over.

Clark

You pay your money and take you choice.
I was ordering weekly from Midway until 2000.
But I have only ordered 3 times from them in the past 8 years.
When they make a mistake I will pounce.

$33.70
Fajen European Classic Stock Mauser Series 3 F14 Barrel Channel Standard
Grade American Walnut Semi-Inletted Action Area
Stock dimensions:
Length of pull: 13 ½"
Drop at comb: 5/8"
Drop at heel: 1 3/8"
Toe out: 3/8"
Approximate weight: 2 lbs.
The European Classic stock is modeled after the stocks found on European
sporting rifles from the early 1900’s up until the late 1950’s. It’s
similar to the stocks found on commercially produced Mauser sporting
rifles and "guild guns" built up from surplus actions.
The stocks feature a beaded "pancake" cheekpiece, action-reinforcing
"islands," and a schnabel forend. Any of these can be removed or
modified to suit the stockmaker’s taste. The comb is designed to be used
with low-mounted scopes or with iron sights. A rifle built on this stock
with open sights will be very light and easy to carry.
All stocks are semi-inletted in the action area with drop-in barrel
channels. This will let the stockmaker make a perfect, seamless fit
between the stock and the action while keeping the advantage of the
drop-in barrel channel. Stocks are packaged with Miles Gilbert brand
blued steel Niedner-style buttplates and grip caps. We are not able to
offer the stocks without the Niedner buttplates and grip caps. The
stocks have been machined to accept these parts, but can be modified to
accept regular buttpads if desired by cutting off the back end of the stock.
These stocks are made from dried, aged American Walnut ..

Combined Technology Partition Gold Bullets .338 caliber 250 gr Moly Spitzer box of 50 $4.99

I don't want Midway to get my money, but if they make a mistake, I make lifetime big quantity buys.

attachment.php

Here is one of the $37 stocks

Attachments

• Midway$37StockDouglasBarrelPaul's223TurkDSCF0007.jpg
    Midway$37StockDouglasBarrelPaul's223TurkDSCF0007.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 283

wingman

I don't order from them anymore due to pricing , shipping, but in truth it is getting more difficult to locate companies who will communicate and deal on a personal basis, recently I ordered from R&R Arms and I was shocked by the speed and their level of communication, it was great and actually felt good about the purchase.

In truth I see many stores not stocking properly in recent months and I expect it is their shipping cost from China and other foreign countries as you all know almost anything we purchase now is made elsewhere.

Horseman

Larry Potterfield's letter basically said they cannot match prices but make up for it with good customer service. I'd say the first step in good customer service would be making sure what I need is IN STOCK. And don't charge me for shipping 2 or 3 different times because YOU do not have the capacity to keep it in stock.

This is not the ideology that made Midway. I've been a customer for a lot of years. It's time to sponsor less outdoor channel and get back to keeping my loading supplies in stock.

R.Childs

I have been a Midway customer for years also, but when I feel I'm getting raped on s/h charges, it's time to find someone who isn't out to overcharge me. I've ordered items that I get through the USPS with other companies for $4 to $5 but with Midway, they send through UPS for $13+. Not acceptable. I've emailed them twice about this and have yet to receive a reply. That's not customer service to me. If they aren't worried about my business enough for a simple reply, then it's time for me to find someone who is.