Is It Just Me, Or Do Any Of You Have A Difficult Time Shooting Kahrs?

JC57

The only Kahr I have ever fired was a CW9 I rented at the range once. I didn't have any problems with it.

I have owned 4 lcp's and bought the Kahr, much easier to shoot, so much more mild than the LCP's, Great trigger. My favorite single stack nine is the LC9S, shoot it frequently and have for years. Both the original and the LC9S. Just love the gun. That said, I really want a CM9. I shot one recently owned by a range buddy, and it was extremely nice shooter. I also like the size and dimensions for CCW.

WVsig

With Kahrs you have to learn to run the gun. It is a long smooth revolver like trigger on a semi-auto platform. If you try to run it like a Glock or other similar strikers you will have issues. I have seen a lot of people short stroking them or jerking them expecting the gun to already have gone off.

Practice practice practice.

Dfariswheel

I have seen a problem with a couple of Kahr's made in the last few years, all polymer models if that matters.

My daughter bought two polymer Kahr's, one P9 and one small polymer model.
The P9 had a problem with when the trigger was pulled it hit a "hard spot" right at the end almost like a trigger that stacks.

It required a fairly hard pull to fire at that point and I told her something was wrong with it.
She returned it to Kahr and they corrected the problem.
It now operates smoothly and with no stacking just like her small model and my older K9.

I saw another in a gun shop with the same problem.
The trigger pulls smoothly and with no stacking until RIGHT at the point it should release and it seems to hit a stop that requires a harder pull to release.
It too was a polymer model and I suspect there may be a sometime problem with the plastic molding leaving excess material near the sear, trigger, or draw bar that causes the hard stop.
Since my daughters Kahr was new and under warranty I didn't attempt to disassemble it to find the problem.

A Kahr in correct operating order should have a trigger that pulls smoothly and with no real stacking until the sear releases cleanly.
If it has a sudden hard spot or stop right at the end, you have some problem with the gun that needs to be corrected.

dean1818

As a former Kahr owner, again....... good gun.....

But

I think the exposed slide stop spring needs a redesign

I also think the mags need a redesign as well.

Fishbed77

I also think the mags need a redesign as well.

The Kahr mags with metal baseplates have always been good to go for me.

The ones with plastic baseplates (such as the 7-round extended magazines for the PM9/CM9) are suitable for range use only. The slightest impact on that flimsy plastic baseplate, and your magazine will puke all its rounds at your feet. A simply terrible design.

Armybrat

Agreed about the slide stop spring and also the plastic base magazines (that's why I use MecGar Officer's in my CW45 - as seen above).

Vic1951

I have owned a few. Only reason I do not own any now is that the slide is too hard to rack for my 66 year old nerve damaged hands. I found them very easy to shoot. Most people who grew up with striker fired guns have trouble with double action ones. I learned how to shoot with a double action 12 lb. trigger 45 years ago. By comparison, the Kahrs are like shooting a hair trigger. More likely you need to learn better trigger control. When I train someone on double actions, they have a problem due to longer trigger pull than a Glock and pull the gun to the left and low. You just need to practice pulling the trigger straight back which you can do with dry firing.

Ask someone to watch you when you shoot to tell you what you are doing wrong. They have very smooth, no hitch, double action triggers. Just practice. I know that many say to use the flat part of your finger to shoot but you can also use the first distal joint. Makes it easier to pull straight back and give more power to the trigger pull so it feels lighter.

JJNA

My two Kahrs have excellent triggers that are better than all my older S&W double action revolvers (except one that has had a competition action job). The older black K9 smoothly breaks at about 5-5.5 lbs. My Elite K9 stainless I bought used has a substantially shorter length of pull, and also breaks lighter at about 4.5-4.75 lbs. It's almost too light for a self-defense gun without a thumb safety. It shoots like butter at the range. Neither stacks or has a heavy wall before the break.

RonC

Kahrs always were a conundrum for me. I can shoot my P45 very well. But even with a very similar trigger, I couldn't shoot the PM9 at all. I tried dry firing. I went to the range. All I ended up with is frustration.
I really wanted to like the PM9. It felt nice in my hand and was well made, but I just couldn't shoot it.
I still have the P45, but the PM9 is long gone.
Ron

batmann

I had to send my Kahr CW .380 back because of lack of reliably. The trigger, at least on the one I had, had a very long and difficult to pull. When it was returned, the trigger was still bad and I sold it and bought a Ruger LCP, which has been reliable and, IMHO, has a better trigger.

badge4436

Had my Kahr PM9 for 10 years. Coming from a revolver back ground I have no trouble with the trigger. Its my pocket pistol and IWB using a Remora holster for both.