Is hunting just for the rich now?

Wrothgar

Yes.

Thankfully, married a woman who's uncle has a lease out by Midland. However, if not for him, if would never be able to hunt... which is one reason why we're looking to move to Colorado. Public land, here we come!

warbirdlover

Wisconsin has a bazillion acres of public hunting land. LOT'S of it and if you do your research you can find a place that isn't too pressured. There's also the Nicolet National forest and some other state forests up north where you will not see another hunter. Of course the wolves have eliminated all the deer but.... :confused:

I lease 40 acres with a few other guys for cheap. It beats owning land and paying the taxes and it is primo.

I guess Texas hasn't got the idea. Or the DNR don't.

James H

One of my friends moved to Vermont a couple years ago. He's said that privately owned land is legal to hunt on if it's not explicitly posted as "no trespassing". Is this true out there?

Doyle

One of my friends moved to Vermont a couple years ago. He's said that privately owned land is legal to hunt on if it's not explicitly posted as "no trespassing". Is this true out there?

Definately not true here in Fl. 3rd degree felony if convicted (trespass with a firearm).

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Doyle is 100% correct...

The only thing POSTING your land in florida does, is advise LEO's that you want them to have your advanced permission to stop ANY ONE they see coming or going on to your land and ask for the legally required (for any non land owner) WRITTEN permission from the land owner stating you have permission and for what activities...

Brent

kraigwy

I guess it depends on where you live. Wyoming has lots of public land, which means it public and the public can hunt there without paying fees or getting permission.

Also the Wyoming Fish and Game has developed a program with private land owners where more and more private land is being opened up for "walk in" hunting.

Thats one reason I left Alaska. For the most part, big game hunting has turned into a money sport. Lots of land and game, but the people are crowded into pockets, and there is a limited road system.

I like the ideal of keeping hunting with in the means of everyone. This was brought home one time when I was hunting deer. I had killed a deer and was driving out this little logging road when I came across an old Toyota. Not what you would call a hunting rig. I started looking around to see if someone need help Acouple hundred yards off the road I see two young (adult) girls. They looked puzzled so I stopped to see if anything was wrong.

It appears the had a deer down and didn't have any ideal what to do with it.

What happened was both were single mothers, and to supplement their food bills they chipped in and bought a deer tag, borrowed a rifle and shot a deer.

I respect people trying to feed their family on their own, regardless of income. I dress their deer and loaded it in their car. I then gave them my deer also.

It was fun trying to stuff two deer into the back of a little Toyota though.

I did recommend they take a hunter safety course before hunting again since it was the law. It cost $5 bucks but they'll waive that fee if you can't afford it.

Anyway, thats one thing I like about Wyoming. You don't need tons of money to hunt and fish. All you need is the desire.

stegar1

Texas has some public land. you have to buy a license and annual permit totalling about $100 to use it. most of it is shotgun or bow only. most private land leases will run $1500-$2500 per season per person. tpwd needs to open up more land with better access.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
A bunch of us once had a deer lease on a ranch near Uvalde, Texas. The rancher's fee was the amount of his annual school taxes. It kept going up and up...And then around 1978, three well-to-do guys from Houston offered almost four times as much money as we had been paying...

Texas Parks & Wildlife is doing what it can. Drawings for deer on wildlife management areas. Self-registration on them for quail. Deals with paper companies in east Texas for deer hunting...

Dangifino what to tell anybody. I guess either get rich or prioritize your disposable income toward hunting season.

stegar1

i'm greatful to be able to hunt where and how i can ... i'm just saying. there is a bunch of hogs and a bunch of public land where they can hide and not be bothered. and there is no public land where you can hunt Rio Grande turkey with a shotgun ( 1 unit bow only)

Uncle Buck

Markj Wrote:
Younger farmers seem to be money centric...

I agree 100% with dwwhite in post #10.

All you see is the deer, or turkey or some other type of game. What I see is the tax bills and my "I need to pay this" accounts.

How do I make money if the fence you just broke needs to be repaired? The gate you were supposed to close was left open and now I am chasing cows trying to get them back to where they belong?

Or the young calf that just ingested the plastic lunch bag you dropped and dies? (We butchered one steer and found a used 12 gauge shot shell in his stomach.)

Where were you when I was fixing fences? I need to hang a gate and could not find any help. The tractor got stuck and I had to walk a mile back to the house?

This year there will be one guy hunting on my land. That was the college kid who came to me last year and said "Mr. Buck, Can I help you around here to pay for hunting your place in the Fall?" The time to plan this years hunt was last year.

We have some public land about two miles from the house. It is littered with trash, trees are marked up with nails and screw in steps. Some areas look like it has been uses as a public latrine. People park where-ever they please and drive where-ever they think they will not get stuck.

BlueTrain

If you hunt, you're a hunter. If you have money, too, then you're a sportsman!

But some "sportsmen" are nice folks. One in-law of my wife is a true sportsman and very enthusiastic hunter. He has hunted in other countries, too, including Russia. So he knows his stuff. Other sportsmen are like Dick Cheney.

I used to be interested in hunting. Finally I realized that no hunter wants even more hunters out there. So I gave it up as a bad idea. But I have relatives who hunt, none near home, and I assure you, they are quite ordinary people.

And by the way, Mr. ritepath, I'm from Mercer County, just over the state line.

Buzzcook

Much of the private land we hunt on in Washington and Oregon is forest owned by paper and lumber companies.
Sometimes they close the land and sometimes it's open. For some hunters it is closer of easier to get into than public land.
In both states logging of both public and private land has provided roads deep into the forest. Another benefit is clear cuts that provide open space for the deer to browse and for hunters to have a better chance of a clean shot.

It's kind of a bummer because I can't get to some favorite spots without hiking 6 or 7 miles now - all up hill.
It's all down hill once you've got Bambi. Think on the bright side.

markj

there's no harm in offering to help with some chores, its what neighbors do.

Works for me, I also help the neighbors with their harvest. I live out in the country on a hobby farm. I raise beef.

Markj Wrote:

Quote:
Younger farmers seem to be money centric...

I agree 100% with dwwhite in post #10.

All you see is the deer, or turkey or some other type of game. What I see is the tax bills and my "I need to pay this" accounts.

How do I make money if the fence you just broke needs to be repaired? The gate you were supposed to close was left open and now I am chasing cows trying to get them back to where they belong?

I have never hurt any land I have been on, the folks I speak of used to let us hunt, they retired and land went to their kids, kids wont let us hunt unless we pay a daily fee of 100 per gun. I am also a landowner, I moved to Iowa, help out the guys around us, I weld and was a mechanic so I help when I can.

I wasnt trying to upset ya, just speaking my point of view. In the 60s paying to hunt was unheard of, 70s it started in real good places like SD. 80s still hunting for free, old farmers had crp all over, they didnt work the land, theye retire, kids move in and are wanting to build up their place, this takes money. I understand this and dont hunt them places as I can hunt here now.

Had a steer shot once, a radiator in a truck shot once left me walking.

davlandrum

Much of the private land we hunt on in Washington and Oregon is forest owned by paper and lumber companies.

Shame of it is, if it is easy to get to it is now locked (at least in my area) because of illegal dumping. I can't blame the timber companies, because it is their land getting trashed and they are stuck with clean up. Locked and no trespassing signs, so you can't even walk in. We used to hunt there and the same company owns it.

ZeroJunk

I have about 70 acres of land here at the house. I post it and forbid anybody from hunting on it. That way I only have maybe one or two guys sneaking in and hunting at any given time. I really don't mind if somebody kills a deer back there. But, giving guys you don't know permission is just a can of worms.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
I've read through many and many a thread of this sort, these last dozen years at TFL and THR. The complaints from landowners in these threads seem to parallel the complaints from many as to the degradation in societal behavior insofar as self-centeredness and an absence of consideration of consequences.

bamaranger

depends

Have not read all posts, but have to believe that it depends largely on the state in question.

Alabama has a reputation for limited public land, and all private land requires a written permit from the land owner (or leasee). The WMA are here, but typically heavily used for gun deer hunts.

Stiofan

We had some hunters drive all the way up from southern CA to our Idaho camp this year. They had no contingency plans if their camp was occupied. We were in "their" camp. They were rich, and snotty, and their guide asked if we would move (imagine?). We told them to shove it, so they literally pitched camp 20 yards from ours, where there were hundreds of other places to camp, all over the national forest. I let my ****** off akita bark at them for 2 hours while they stumbled around in the dark with their cool green flashlights, trying to figure out where to put their horses and wall tents in the rain. We laughed as they chopped down and burned **** fir in their wall tents, while our wall of red fir kept us toasty our our camp fire - we sleep in cheap campers and 3 season tents wrapped in tarps in case in rains or snows. They went into town the second day and all bought $300 deer tags, so they could hunt ONE DAY! Needless to say, they harvested no deer, no elk, and were rained on the whole time - all the while they could see our 'head' tree with four elk and seven deer all hanging from our numerous meat poles.

In Idaho it seems we have to deal with snotty hunters from not only California but Washington too. Oh well.

James H

I used to be interested in hunting. Finally I realized that no hunter wants even more hunters out there. So I gave it up as a bad idea. But I have relatives who hunt, none near home, and I assure you, they are quite ordinary people.

BlueTrain...

I like solitude in the mountains, but I also enjoy running into other hunters if, say, I'm at a cafe before a morning of duck or chukar hunting. Or even if I'm in the field on public land and we're working the same cover and accidentally run into each other. As long as everyone is polite, I actually like running into other hunters. I guess it depends where and how you might be hunting. I guess I wouldn't really like running into other people if I'd hiked back 5 miles or so into a wilderness area and thought I'd have a spot to myself. There is still the camaraderie that gets me excited a lot of times.