Is Crimson Trace worth it

Mikeyboy

For S&W and Taurus revolvers are Crimson Trace laser sights worth it? I have been fooling around with cheap laser sight for my semi-autos and would love to get crimson Trace for my primary carry a S&W 442. Do they work well and are they worth the expense.

jaydubya

For S&W revolvers, an enthusiastic YES. I bought my 637 snubby with Crimson Trace grips two years ago, and have pumped about 1500 rounds downrange with it. It really is an experience to see a hole appear in the target exactly where the red dot is. Just be sure to practice with the laser turned off as well. I don't have a Taurus revolver, but according to Crimson Trace's web site, Taurus revolver coverage is limited.

Cordially, Jack

Majic

While I can see the advantage I would rather rely on the sights as a dead or dying battery puts the Crimson out of business.
I don't have a Taurus revolver, but according to Crimson Trace's web site, Taurus revolver coverage is limited.
Yes it's limited, but the same limits apply to the other models.

TexasCop

I've checked out the crimson traces and they don't work for me. I've got a very high grip and I found out that when I'm indexed (finger off the trigger) I'm blocking the laser with my finger.

I know that with my finger on the trigger I don't block it, but that's not the way I practically shoot so I'm not going ot put out that kind of money.

However, a buddy of mine has the M6 light/laser on his glock at work and he loves the heck out of it.

So if you find you shoot well with one, (I'd try and borrow a friends before dropping the cash) then go ahead and get one.

OBIWAN

They work very well

They are worth the expense

They are NOT a substitute for using the sights

They CAN help you become a better shooter..great feedback on grip and trigger manipulation

They can allow you to make hits from awkward unorthodox positions where using the sights is inpractical

You only need to see the dot when you are pulling the trigger (IMO)

bobhwry

I bought my S&W 642 as a package with the Crimson Trace grips. Seems to be a little cheaper that way than after market. I really like them for inside or dark situations. Don't work too well in bright light. I also have night sights on mine so if the laser fails I still have the regular sights.

dairycreek

[They work very well

They are worth the expense

They are NOT a substitute for using the sights

They CAN help you become a better shooter..great feedback on grip and trigger manipulation

They can allow you to make hits from awkward unorthodox positions where using the sights is inpractical

You only need to see the dot when you are pulling the trigger (IMO)/QUOTE]

What OBIWAN says +1

It must be emphasized that laser sights are not a substitute for standard sights! They are an addition to regular sights. The wise shooter that has laser sights on his gun will still practice, with the regular sights such that he/she is competent with both sight systems - always!

NGP58

I agree, they are worth the investment. I have them on a S&W 1911, and a 686 2 1/2" snubbie. They're both tackdrivers....Glad that I put them on....Norm.

Ichiro

A laser makes it more likely that you will be accurate when point-shooting, which is the way most people tend to shoot when freaked out.

When you do your dry-firing training, make sure that consciously activating the laser is part of your drill. The way you initially grab the gun (when freaked out) is likely how you'll hold it when shooting, and it IS possible not to activate the laser.

True, a laser is not a substitute for iron sights. But the reverse is also true. Unless you're a gun-fighter by trade, my guess is that you'll be point-shooting in a defense situation regardless of whether your laser is activated, and regardless of whether your gun even has a laser.

~Ichiro

Ichiro

If you pocket carry, I'd recommend the 205 model (the small ones). The 305 makes pocket carry an impossibility for me, and the new one that also covers the backstrap pushes the envelope in terms of size.

~Ichiro

oldgranpa

for wife

I put the CrimsonTrace grips on a Taurus 85 ultralight for my wife. And now she is willing to keep it handy after enjoying it at the range.
If your wife or g/f is having a hard time with accuracy, the laser grips might make the difference.
og

D-Ric902

Never pass up the oportunity to post a pic.
CT grips are well worth it. Got them for this Taurus 85 and never took them off.

hpg

bobhwry I bought my S&W 642 as a package with the Crimson Trace grips. Seems to be a little cheaper that way than after market. I really like them for inside or dark situations. Don't work too well in bright light. I also have night sights on mine so if the laser fails I still have the regular sights

How do you put night sights on a fixed sight revolver?:confused: hpg

hpg

1man,

I had never heard of this before. Do you or anyone else know how it looks after the sight s are installed? hpg

45reloader

Out of a snubby it's not really going to improve much.How far away do you expect to fire a "belly gun".

Out of a 4 inch gun or longer I feel they really work the best.YMMV

Stargazer

One good thing about laser sights is the fact that they may neutralize a situation before it becomes deadly. I have a LaserMax on my carry Glock 36, it was very expensive, but if it saves me from "having" to make another human being eat a bullet, it was worth it. A red dot on someones chest makes them think about what is fixing to happen to them! If Crimson Trace made one for my Tracker I would have one on there too. Hopefully in the future the Trackers will have these available.

Yes they are no substitute for using the sights, but I never thought about the unorthadox position shooting that may occur. In that situation they will help tremendously.

gfen

Out of a snubby it's not really going to improve much.How far away do you expect to fire a "belly gun".

I dunno, but that 3" or so of gutter sight radius is where I need all the help I can get.