Is anyone here using a red dot sight

9x19

..on a lever action?

If so, which type, tube or open, any issues?

Thanks... my eyesight has me considering mounting one on a .357 lever gun.

Sharkbite

I have 2 leverguns with red dots. One marlin and one Mossburg, both in 30-30. Both have tube type sights on em. The Marlin sports a vortex and the Mossburg a Holosun.

I love both scopes. The mounts i used are a little spendy (XS rails), but everything has held up VERY well.

jmr40

I've tried a couple and currently have a Sig Romeo 5 mounted on an AR. I still prefer a 1-4X scope over a dot sight for close range fast shooting. I find a scope set on 1X to be every bit as fast to use and find it better in low light than a dot. With the ability to move up in magnification if needed they are much more versatile. And they make them with illuminated reticles if that is important.

Something like this.

https://www.swfa.com/vortex-1-4x24-crossfire-ii-30mm-rifle-scope.html?___SID=U

9x19

Thanks folks.

I have low powered variable scopes, but the red dot appeals because:

- For me, the .357 is mostly for 75 yards and under.

- The short length of the red-dot sight means I don't need a hammer extension and it can be mounted nearly flush with the receiver. For me that means it's usable with a good cheek weld on the stock without needing any type of riser.

Pahoo

Why not ???

Thanks... my eyesight has me considering mounting one on a .357 lever gun.
A RedDot, is a very good option and I have been using them for a number of years. I have never mounted one on a lever-action but why not. However, I'd have to think about it is it involved an older Winchester or one that you have to modify. … :confused:

As far as open or tube, kind of depends on your application. I once has snow block my view on an open type. …… ;)

Good Luck and;
Be Safe !!!

T. O'Heir

The dots are usually far too big for accurate rifle shooting. 2 MOA is 2" at 100 yards. A 3 MOA dot will cover the entire black on a regular sighting in target at 100 yards.
jmr40's 1X to 4X is a much better idea. Burris makes a 1X to 8X -24 too.

O4L

I have used a tube type 2moa red dot on my lever action and all other rifles with great results.

I find it the best option for my aging eyes.

NoSecondBest

I had one on my Win 1886 in 45-70 for a while to try it out. Turnbull makes a simple mount for the gun (as well as other lever guns) and I put a Burris FastFire3 on the gun. It has a 3moa dot. I can consistently get 1.7" or a bit less for five shots at a measured 114 yards (my deck to the backstop). It's a fallacy that you can't shoot good groups with a red dot. I doubt that my 1886 would shoot much better, if any better, for five shots with any scope on the gun.
https://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=107946&d=1533063597
https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=597193

stagpanther

considering you are thinking about putting one on a 357 lever--I assume you're thinking using it mostly 100 yds and inside that most of the time--in which case even a 1X reddot should provide more than adequate results, especially for quick free-hand shots

9x19

Thanks again everyone.

Yes this is for a .357, and would be sighted in at 50 yards... so a 3 MOA dot would only cover 1.5" at that distance, but in my hands, that should be just fine... a sniper we are not. :D

stagpanther

Just don't post a picture of it here--the lever gun inquisition board will have you crucified. Don't ask me how I know this.:D:D

Sharkbite

Just don't post a picture of it here--the lever gun inquisition board will have you crucified. Don't ask me how I know this.

Im sure not going to post a pic of my Mossy with a reddot, tac light and suppressor. Folks might blow a gasket :eek:

raimius

If it works for you, go for it.
Nothing wrong with adding things to old designs (just don't destroy a collectible firearm!)

NoSecondBest

[QUOTEYes this is for a .357, and would be sighted in at 50 yards... so a 3 MOA dot would only cover 1.5" at that distance, but in my hands, that should be just fine... a sniper we are not][/QUOTE]
Just so you know, you aren't limited to the size of the group you can shoot by the size of the dot. I can shoot sub .5 moa groups with a couple of my rimfire handguns with red dots at 50 yards. If you center the dot over the point of aim, you can shoot some really small groups with an accurate gun. Don't get hung up on dot size. Smaller is better in the sense that it doesn't cover up too much, but a 3 or 4 moa dot is a very good size to shoot small groups with.

Auto5

I found a mini-rail to replace the rear sight on my Rossi M92 and mounted a red dot. I needed to get a leather cheek piece to get a proper sight line.

jetinteriorguy

No Second Best has it right, accuracy isn't limited as much by dot size as it is proper techniques, just like any other sight type. Plus, in a crude way can help with judging the distance by the amount of the target it covers in relation to the size of the target, I'm referring to game size. IE if an animals head is roughly 2" and the dot just covers it you're roughly at 100 yds.

pete2

You might consider a prism scope. Mine has a black dot(1 MOA) when off, choie of red or green when on. Circle with a dot. Mine is 1X but they are available with magnification.

Tube type, I recommend a non-magnified illuminates prism sight like the Vortex Spitfire for example. There may be others, but I haven’t had the need to venture past the spitfire. I like prism sights because like a scope, they have a reticle even if they aren’t illuminated so can still be used if the batteries die. But the tube type may be a bit big for a lever gun application.
Edit: Pete beat me to the prism sight recommendation...

For a traditional red dot, something small like the holosun or Vortex I would think would work well. 3 MOA for shouldn’t be an issue as that equates to 3” at 100 yards and I seriously doubt you’d be hunting chipmunks/squirrels with a .357 and going for headshots.