is an airgun a must have in an arsenal?

m.p.driver

I'd prefer to use a .300 Win Mag on the cat and chipmunk population but its not an alternative.Plus when my niece and nephew come over i give them a air rifle and pistol,then turn them loose in the backyard with a box of aluminum cans

Avenger

For pest control, I have a Webley Tempest that brings down non-native birds at 50 feet everytime. Yeah, technically it's an air PISTOL, but it's very accurate and it's never yet failed to make a clean kill on sparrows and grackles.

obxned

I could use one, but since ammo isn't all that much less than 22LR, the urge isn't great enough to make me crack open my wallet. However, they are fun and very handy for stealth food-gathering, so one of these days .......

JohnKSa

Administrator
I could use one, but since ammo isn't all that much less than 22LR...
You're either overpaying for pellets or I desperately need to know where you're getting your .22LR.

Without too much shopping around you should be able to purchase excellent quality airgun pellets at less than half the cost of bulk-packed .22LR.

44 AMP

Staff
No comment on air guns , as if it doesn't burn powder, its not interesting to me.

And, being as an "arsenal" is a location where military arms are manufactured, I'd say the answer to your question is "no". :D

rickyjames

i'm a fan of anything that shoots. after running out of "must have" powder burning shotguns, rifles and handguns i decided to add a few pellet rifles and pistols. i first picked up a daisy pump 177 pellet, after i picked up a couple of more powerful pellet rifles in 177 and 22 cal. i also added a crossman pump pistol in 177 and a 22 beeman pistol. great fun, i don't have to drive to the range i can use them in my backyard. they are pretty much silent and i don't see as many cats dropping ****s in my backyard anymore. funny how interest in weapons spreads, i dusted off a compound bow my wife gave me a few years back and i find i have an interest in archery enough now that i am eyeing up some of the new bows on the market these days and i recently bought a beginer type cross bow. like i said, i'm a fan of anything that shoots :)

FyredUp

I have a Crossman .177 pellet gun. It is a single pump rifle and it is a blast to shoot. It is quick to grab and plink with, draws zero attention, and is cheap to shoot.

I believe one of my purchases in the new year will be a higher end pellet rifle. In a pinch it could be used for discrete pest removal or for hunting. Kind of the same reason I see a crossbow in my future too. Sometimes being invisible right out in the open is the best camoflauge.

FyredUp

Why the hostility towards air guns? They are a fun, usually less expensive way to enjoy the shooting sports in places, like a city backyard, where regular firearms would never be allowed.

They have been around for centuries and were even used by snipers to make quick quiet kills. In the early days of firearms they offered massive advantages over gun powder weapons. They could be used in the rain and under wet conditions and they fired at a much faster rate than the muzzle loaders of the time.

They are part of the bigger shooting sports and are in as much danger of being banned as regular firearms. In fact some communites have already banned their use in city limits. I see muzzle loading as ridiculous in this day and age but I would never snubb someone who chose to do that. They are part of the bigger shooting sports picture too. I guess it is all perspective really.

JohnKSa

Administrator
...are in as much danger of being banned as regular firearms.
I would say that airguns are in MORE danger of being banned since firearms enjoy 2nd Amendment protection while airguns don't.

FyredUp

JohnKSa Quote:

...are in as much danger of being banned as regular firearms.

I would say that airguns are in MORE danger of being banned since firearms enjoy 2nd Amendment protection while airguns don't.

My answer is they should have the same protection as regular firearms since they are part of the shooting sports. I see it as the slippery slope thing. Aw, what the hell, they are JUST banning BB guns not my 30-06...Sure they are...THIS TIME.

JohnKSa

Administrator
My answer is they should have the same protection as regular firearms since they are part of the shooting sports.
I don't disagree, I'm just saying that if we look at the Heller ruling, I don't think airguns will qualify for second amendment protection.