is an airgun a must have in an arsenal?

2002gti

ive got over 100 guns with a couple of air guns, a gamo handgun, crossman hangun and my 20+ year old trusty daisey rifle. ive always wanted to add a hard hitting 1000 fps rifle. just wondering what your views are on a hard hitting rifle and if i need to finally buy one.

Willie Lowman

I just don't see the need for a air gun. I have two .22 rifles and a .22 pistol and they serve all my small bore shooting needs.

I have seen some very accurate RWS air guns. vvveeeeerrry accurate when the German pellets were used.

m.p.driver

I bought a Tech Force 99 just for killing chipmunks.I have Rugers,Smiths,and Colts in .22,but try to avoid having Johnny Law at my door everytime Chip and Dale takes a dirt nap.And .22 hollowpoint pellets give a satisfying pop when they hit.

2002gti

i guess i should add that im a city slicker so shooting a centerfire off my couch as you watch tv like many of you do is out of the question.

scottycoyote

ive been slightly bitten by the air rifle bug lately, and i say go for it. I picked up an rws 45 at an estate sale 15 years ago, didnt even know what i had but i got it for a song so it came home. Got it out the other day and shot it some, good power, just need a better scope and probably some much needed maintenance and oiling. Ive been eyeing some of the harder hitting guns, thinking of getting one for xmas. Air rifle hunting is so big in europe, which i never realised, but theres something cool about going small game hunting with a grownup version of what you played with as a kid.

JohnKSa

Administrator
If you want one for pest control you're probably on the right track. If you want one for shooting practice then you'll be happier if you get something that's less powerful.

It will be (among other things):
  • Quieter
  • Easier on your target trap
  • Easier to cock
  • More fun to shoot
  • Less hold sensitive
  • More accurate (from a practical standpoint)
  • Easier to scope

I think that nearly every shooter could benefit from having an airgun or two around.

raftman

I have an airgun. I've had it longer than I've had any actual firearms. But I simply don't shoot the airgun anymore, at all. I don't have any pest control needs or anything like that. IMO, my airgun is just too boring, impractical, and ill-designed to even be a good plinker. The one I have is a Gamo P23, and there aren't too much good things that can be said about it. Has the nastiest trigger of anything I've ever fired, also has an annoying, impractical design for loading the gun, and accuracy is far worse than any of my real guns. Even at close range (such as 30 feet) there are BB's often hit completely off the bulls-eye by a good 6 inches or so.

ZeSpectre

Can't really shoot a firearm on my property (inside city limits) but a good air-rifle has helped me reduce the possum population over the past two years. :D

JohnKSa

Administrator
Check out the Drozd Blackbird...whatever else it is, it's not boring. :D

(To be clear this is not a personal endorsement as I don't own one.)

SAIGAFISH

city stealth

makes the nieghbors less aweare of crow removal plan
implaminted by me and one other nieghbor. close range
a pointy pellet with a bb behind it wwwwaaaammm

JohnKSa

Administrator
I'd prefer just using a .22 rifle.
I'm sure you mean: "When legal, I'd prefer just using a .22 rifle." ;)

Most of my airgun shooting is done where it would be illegal (or at least EXTREMELY inadvisable) to use a firearm. Even the light Colibri loadings are not legal where it's illegal to discharge a firearm, and even though they're light loads they still tend to have a good bit more penetrative/destructive power than a pellet from a typical airgun which can make safety an issue.

TheNatureBoy

I don't know about a air gun being a "must have" even though I have one. I live in the city and I love to target shoot so having one has been a benefit to me in that I can set up in my back yard and work on my shooting mechanics. I have a table inside my garage and shoot out to the target.

540mope

living in this city makes the air rifle a must. rabbits and groundhogs are overtaking the neighbors' yards...but not mine:D
the RWS 48 is a definate keeper.

and as others mention, it's cheap to plink. and great for young kids to learn the basics of shooting.