Is a 4" .357 ideal?

Striker

All other things having been discussed, the most important consideration may simply be "Which feels best in your hand"? :)

Bass Man

I too am looking for a .357 revolver. A co-worker said it is pointless to have a .357 in less than 6" because that extra powder (over a .38) doesn't have enough barrel to burn. I personally like the look of the 4" but don't plan to carry it concealed. It will be my first handgun. I am mostly going to shoot targets with .38 and just wanted to be able to handle the .357 also. I live in Missouri and I'm glad we passed a concealed law and hope to get a permit someday but I will probably get a semi-auto for that.

WESHOOT2

PythonGuy

Speer did that exact test and published it in their manual(s); called "Why ballisticians get Gray."

I have tested many guns; I own multiple offerings in certain calibers (9x19, 357, 45 ACP) and have done extensive testing in my personal arms; I provide 'chrono opportunities' to a chosen few; there is no "debate".

Last edited:

Hal

A co-worker said it is pointless to have a .357 in less than 6" because that extra powder (over a .38) doesn't have enough barrel to burn.
The myth that the .357Magnum gives up any appreciable gain in shorter barrels has been disspelled over and over again.

OTOH - I get the impression a lot of people seem to think the .357Mag is the poor man's .35Rem... ;)

"Why ballisticians get Gray."
LOL! Clever... :D

(for those that wonder http://members.aol.com/WESHOOT2/index.html )

Long Path

But what's that you say? We haven't addressed the 3.5" barrel? We should. While it has only a slightly longer sight radius than the 3" barrel, it will have a full stroke for case ejection.

As someone who looks at revolvers as a defensive tool to be worn on the hip, I have to note that the longer the barrel makes for a longer draw. If you're trying to pack a revolver in a strong side high ride holster, 3" to 4" is about as long as a man would ever want to carry, even with a forward cant. Anything longer requires a drop holster. (Trust me-- I have a 39" sleeve length, and wear high ride regularly, but it feels awkward as heck to draw my 6" Officer's Model Target from even a semi-drop) Frankly, at 4" or longer, I think that cross-draw is the way to go.

With pointability, it's all about the individual revolver. I've a friend who has a 4" Model 10 with a bull barrel that points as well as some M10's that I've handled with skinny 6" barrels. I've handled some nicely-gripped shorter revolvers with good sights and triggers (I'm thinking of a family member's M27) that I would have sworn were longer barreled, because of the large frame and easy handling. Interestingly, the mass of the cylinder makes a significant difference in the pointability.

Doogle

I don't know about it being ideal, but I chose a 4" .357...>

...mainly due to the somewhat easier handling as opposed to a 6" barrel, and I do find the 4" to be aesthetically more pleasing. After trying various .357 revolvers, I chose a Taurus Model 689. I have only put 400 rounds through the revolver as yet, but so far, so good. The ability to alternate between .357 and .38spl rounds adds variety.