Is 8mm Mauser corrosive?

kilimanjaro

It need not have been captured by the Germans from a Yugoslavian soldier, but may very well have been from arsenal reserves captured by the Germans, instead.

Getting thousands of Yugo Mausers and ammunition for them would certainly have been a reason to put a division or two worth of K98 Mausers back in the supply chain and use the Yugo stuff in the Balkans.

Whatever the history, from a Yugo soldier's hands or an arsenal crate, it's a keepsake.

Darker Loaf

Thank you all for your comments! This is exactly why I belong to The Firing Line!

I love learning about history, and it's even cooler when we are talking about a family heirloom.

I'll try to dredge up the papers for you guys to see if there is any more information on the gun.

Darker Loaf

RE JohnKSa: Thanks for the book suggestion! One my majors was history in college and I am used to some pretty dry stuff. I read a lot of non-fiction. Anyway, it's appreciated.

Darker Loaf

RE emcon5: Looks like there is a lot of good information right there. Thanks!

OH! I saw the source! C&R Arsenal is a really cool youtube channel. I love those guys. I've been following their WW I coverage. I'll have to check out their website.

The ammo you've found is Turkish surplus.

Generally considered to be good shooting ammo, but yes, it is VERY corrosive, as in it leaves a lot of potassium chloride residue in the bore.