Is 5 rounds enough?

fastbolt

I was thinking of you folks and this thread for the last few days, while I was preparing for, and then away on, a motorcycle trip ...

Since I was going to be traveling for several hundred miles, and through some sparsely populated country ... with the potentially sparsely L/E patroled conditions expected in many rural areas ... I ended up carrying a high capacity pistol and some extra magazines. As a matter of fact, I actually carried a total of 105 rounds. Paranoid? Who me? Nah ...

Anyhow ...

There were many times during the trip I really wished I'd taken my 642-1 .38 snubnose. Of course the .40 pistol was much more "powerful", and carried more rounds in each magazine than 2 speedloaders or speedstrips would carry ... But the weight, bulk and ease of concealment in hot weather became an issue at times. I think the next time I'll carry the 642-1, my speedstrips, and my little camera case of extra speedloaders and ammunition. I would've felt comfortable with my usual traveling amount of 50-80 rounds total of .38 158gr +P LHP.

That being on my mind when I returned home yesterday ... when I worked at the range today I took out a couple of boxes of standard .38 158gr LSW and +P LHP to use to practice a little. Granted the sights are not easy to see and precisely align unless the front sight has the neon orange sight paint on it ... The little revolver still seems to perform in a manner that justifies my confidence in carrying it when a larger weapon isn't "desired". Okay, let's just say "lazy" and be done with it ...

If the simple sights are visible and aligned, 2-4 inch groups at 12-15 yards aren't that difficult. At 5 & 7 yards the ergonomics of the little revolver, with the bantam grips, allows for "close combat" one-handed "hip shooting" fast, easy and apparently accurately. Head shots at those distances, fired in that manner, surprised me with 9 hits versus 1 miss. I haven't practiced that shooting previously, limiting myself to tight COM target areas when shooting in that manner. Obviously, the little pistol will do its part if I practice and do mine ...

Do I feel it's "better" than my heavier caliber, larger capacity weapons? Of course not ... Do I feel I can utilize it in reasonable circumstances, as long as I'm able to perform anywhere near the manner in which I've trained, and will continue to train? Of course I can't know for certain ...

I DO feel more comfortable only being armed with it, though, for those times I don't really think I need to be armed ... I know, I know ... Even though I can't know when those times might be ...

But I felt adequately armed on duty with a 6-shot revolver for a lot of years, only carrying anywhere from 12-24 extra rounds. My only other weapon was a shotgun, and while I did carry extra revolver and shotgun rounds in my bag, some of the areas I patroled were anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour away from any backup ... even if available, and even if they were rolling hot.

I have no answers folks, but I do feel a little better carrying my .38 off duty ... Practice, practice, practice ...

cslinger

It is a downward spiral.....

I am just as guilty as anybody else when I start thinking about this.

Carrying a firearm as a civilian is a balancing act of perceived needs vs. comfort and concealment. I personally think 5 shots of just about any major caliber will do you just fine..............but....

Being a gun guy who is reasonably intelligent and has a great imagination I do catch myself thinking what if I need 6 rounds....but that leads to hell I might need a couple 15 round magazines and that leads to well if I need that I might wanna keep a shotgun in the truck, how about a magazine fed rifle....................flashbangs................hand grenades.......................I NEED AIR SUPPORT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not making light of what anybody says I am just saying that we as firearm enthusiest tend to be the people who plan for everything.

How many people here have a first aid kit in their car, how about some water, how about tools, how about a blanket....I would wager most if not all have this and much more just in case. We are different from many other people because we do like to prepare. Most of us were probably Boy Scouts of some sort also.

It is that mentality that drives us to constantly feel like we should have that extra piece of equipment just in case, even if we never use it I am a beliver in if I do have to use it I am glad it is there.

That being said, I can't carry the jaws of life with me because it just isn't practical. The same thing with carrying a firearm. In some cases I can carry a full sized semi-auto but in most situations the light weight snubby is the way to go.

Again I have no answers other than, IMHO, for my personal risk/return evaluation a 5 shot snubbie with 38+P and maybe one reload is plenty for my piece of mind.

Yes, you can put that on my gravestone if it comes down to it but that is what I am comfortable with.

That being said, how hard would it be to mount a nice FN beltfed in the bed of my truck.....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

another okie

I try to always have spare ammo, carried either in a Galco belt pouch (carries six, looks like a little change wallet on your belt) or an Ammo Wallet from Case Gard. The Ammo Wallets look are little plastic boxes that don't look "gunny" at all. The advantage is that you can carry them in your pocket and pull them out when looking for change and no one freaks out. The disadvantage of both systems is slow reloads.

I also have to say that the following quote does not seem like logical thinking to me:

"High crime areas= Carry full / medium size auto of your choice.
Low crime areas= 5 rounds of 38 special is bare minimum."

The likelihood of an attack does not change the nature of the attack. If you are attacked in a low crime area, the attack will not necessarily be any different than the attack you would experience in a high crime area. If it's likely to be two or three large angry drugged up people, you will want lots of firepower, even if you're in a low crime area. I realize this goes to the nature of the tradeoff, but I think the likelihood of attack really does not belong in the equation. If it's extremely likely, don't go there or call the cops.

Jato

Okie,

You would never catch me in the bad parts of Los Angeles carrying only a 5 shot revolver.

You might catch me walking to my mailbox (rural, low crime area) carrying a 5 shot revolver.

Perceived need verses comfort. Your right, I take a chance carrying the 5 shot to the mailbox.

I realize this goes to the nature of the tradeoff, but I think the likelihood of attack really does not belong in the equation. If it's extremely likely, don't go there or call the cops.

If it's extremely unlikely, carry a 5 shot instead of a Glock 22 :D

P

PreserveFreedom

My thoughts are, I would rather have five rounds than zero rounds. Good reason to carry a pair of snubbies though.