Is 4 rounds of 00 buck enough for home defense?

Inverness11

I'm considering getting an 18" barrel for my stock 870 express to use for home defense. This gun has a 4+1 capacity and the tube has to be permanently modified to add an extension, which is something I don't want to do.

Is four rounds of buckshot adequate for home defense situations? I want to think so, but it just makes me nervous.

Also, where is the ideal place to store a home defense shotgun for the perfect balance of safety and accessibility?

Thanks all!

JBriggs

I think so because in most such encounters there will be only a few shots fired. If you have too many rounds, say 8, the DA will think you are a Rambo type. believe me on this b/c I used to be a prosecutor and saw it happen regularly.

Slopemeno

Training is important here. If you spend some quality time training to HIT on the first two, reload two, and so on, you'll be fine. A sidesaddle carrier of four or five rounds wouldnt hurt.

Think of all the cops who took care of the bad guys armed with that basic setup. The three shotgun shootings I've been able to study (read the actual police report or talked to the guys who were there) one shot dusted the bad guy, from contact to about 15 yards. Its a very effective weapon in close.

10-96

Where is the best place to store?

There's WAY too much we don't know to offer any suggestions to ya. How many kids, neices, nephews, etc? You live in a house, apt, mobile home, something else? Do you have any regularly visiting friends or family that could not be 100% trusted with the SG left hidden but unsecure?

YukonKid

it should be. its hard to miss with a shotgun. Although in the dark and panicking it would be more difficult. I think any threat can be easly disposed of with one shot. The more you shoot the more you answer for in court. Dont go blasting all around especially if you have a family or apartment.

zoomie

4 should be more than enough. In case it's not, these are cheap insurance...

http://www.unclemikes.com/products/buttstock_shell_holders.html
http://www.wilsoncombat.com/sa_side_saddle.asp

And most importantly in this situation...
TshirtIfYoureNotShootin.jpg

Inverness11

YukonKid: its hard to miss with a shotgun.

I do know that the spread of buckshot is nearly negligible at defensive ranges, which is why I try to aim a shotgun with all the precision of a rifle.

As far as storage, I live in an apartment-no kids. I plan to keep it in the bedroom. My thoughts are:

1. In the safe
Painfully slow access, but less likely to come home and find myself looking down the bore and safe from kids.

2. Hung above the closet door (inside the closet)
Easier access but still takes a little while to get to it, out of reach of kids, maybe not an obvious place for a burgular but not locked up either.

3. Leaning in the corner by the bed
Quick access, right where a bad guy can find it if I'm not there, right where a kid can get it if I'm not there (unlikely situation though)

4. Under bed
Quick access, easy access to kids and BGs too (obvious hiding spot), too much dust, could get inadvertently blocked if stuff gets stored under the bed

Anything else?

Kreyzhorse

I hope 4 rounds is plenty. 3 rounds of 3" 000 buck are currently riding in my Mossberg 500. Had it out over the weekend exploring a bump in the night. Still have the 28" barrel on it from fall turkey season...... Man that is a long barrel to be lugging around the house in a home defense situation.

From a storage situation, if there are no kids in the house, under bed is a perfect place for it to live.

teeroux

4 shells enough??

no way your shotty needs a mag extention to hold 6 rounds loaded also it needs a side saddle on the receiver and pistol butstock.

you will also need a tactical light mouted to it along with a pisto grip and laser

ooh yeah dont forget the ghost ring night sights better yet your light and night sights may break you should invest in night vision googles and an infared iluminator for your shotgun.:D

just kiddin 4 rounds is fine

jrothWA

Four's okay,...

but use a butt-stock carrier for extras.
Use snap-caps to practice loading the tube and chamber.
Use the security cabinet, but leave the key in the lock when going to bed.
Keep a red-lens flashlight on your nighttable.
Practice, practice.practice!

Nnobby45

no way your shotty needs a mag extention to hold 6 rounds loaded also it needs a side saddle on the receiver and pistol butstock.

I have a 6 round (+2) mag. extension because my 870 is perpetually magazine loaded with empty chamber. It's always downloaded by one or two to prevent stress on the mag. spring. If you load your 4 rd. tube full, your spring is twice as compressed as mine.

Don't want to get in an argument over how much the compressed spring will weaken over time, but that's how I do it. With a little warning (no guarantee), it can be topped off with 6 rds.:cool:

Wildalaska

s four rounds of buckshot adequate for home defense situations? I want to think so, but it just makes me nervous.

There are numerous reports on the net of hordes of armed crimianls randomly driving through suburbia doing home invasions. When you take into account the numerous reports of criminals taking 4 shots of magnum 00 buck to the face and still fighting on, I would suggest nothing less than a half dozen or so 10 gauges in varios spots in your house. Make sure you always carry a Glock 21 with 5 reloads too. They don't rust in the bathtub:)

WildisthisajokethreadandhaveyouhuggedyourMosberg590todayAlaska TM

ShootemDown

OK seriously now. your situation can have no rounds and you can just butt stroke the BG to submission.

it all depends on how dangerous your neighborhood is, who wants you dead, how many people knows what you have in your house is worth taking...

Last edited:
its hard to miss with a shotgun.

And yet, people manage to miss all the time. I have watched folks in shotgun classes miss head shots at 15 feet on a stationary paper target. Shots were fired by the FBI and by the bad guys in the Miami FBI shootout that failed to connect with the opposition at very close ranges.

Is four rounds enough? Of course, unless it isn't and if it isn't and you just have four, then you may be screwed.

Wildisthisajokethread

You are a joke. Go away troll. You add nothing to this thread.

To the OP,
My SD shotgun holds 5 and I feel ok. I'd rather have 4 rounds of buckshot than 17 rounds of 9mm. And yes, you would be better off with a shorter barrel for a SD shotty.

Laz

Man, Wild Alaska often posts with a sense of humor (sometimes a skewed sense of humor, true :)) but I've read enough of his posts to not think he is a troll. Seems a little harsh. Anyway, to the post, I think 4+1 is enough. I like the balance, feel and (not important, but) look of the 4+1 870 over the extended tube versions, even though I have both. I keep 3 in the magazine, empty chamber, hammer down, and five on the buttstock. Depends on the world you live in. If there were riots in the streets, I would switch to an extended tube weapon as primary and fully load the tube.

DrBart2

I am new to these forums, so forgive me if this has already been addressed. Since he lives in an apartment, shouldn't he be concerned with the buck shot going through the walls into someone else's apt.? In my home I keep a Mossberg 930 by my bed at night loaded with a mix. The first two rounds are birdshot then the next three are 00 buck. The distances I would be shooting in my home are short, but I figure that if I have to shoot more than the first two rounds then a real gun battle is happening and I need better penetration! Thats where the buck shot comes in. As to more than four rounds, I would think that would be enough as long as you have extras on a sling for an emergency reload. Putting four rounds of birdshot or whatever (even if you missed) out of your barrel would normally send the bad guys running the other way! I keep my guns locked in a safe when I am not home.

shouldn't he be concerned with the buck shot going through the walls

That's a good point, but it depends on the apartment building. I've lived in old buildings that had "paper thin" walls and I've lived in newer buildings that had concrete walls and ceilings.

Bird shot is a topic that is best discussed in another thread, IMO. Plenty of them here.