Inventory

Curious, Aguila, why does your firearms list need to be more complicated than an Excel spreadsheet?
I guess my mind works differently from yours. I currently keep a log -- of sorts -- on an Excel spreadsheet. But it's basically just a list. If one gun were stolen, for example, I can look up that one gun and find the serial number, when I bought it, and what I paid for it. To send that to the insurance company I would manually copy down the information. And I can certainly maintain a bunch of photos in a photo directory.

But ... I would like it to be better organized. I could do as Dufus suggests and create a separate worksheet within a large workbook so there's one page per gun, but that to me is a very laborious and convoluted way of accomplishing a task that is exactly what database programs were intended to accomplish. I know how to do it that way. It means that each time you want to create a new record, you have to manually copy the template worksheet to a new page, then manually rename it for the firearm.

In fact, I've already imported my Excel spreadsheet into Access and created a data entry form that works quite nicely. That, alone, is an improvement. And from there I can go on to create various reports to cover any aspect of the data I choose to summarize on a page. What's missing is the ability to include photos with the record of each gun. I started out thinking two photos of each firearm -- left side and right side. Then I realized that the serial number isn't always on the side, so I'll make it three photos: left side, right side, and a closeup of the serial number. Then set up a report that will print out the key information for any particular firearm. If a gun is subsequently lost, stolen or strayed, I'll be able to just push a button and print out a one-page (or maybe two page) report with all the information pertaining to that gun ... and nothing else.

So I don't regard what I'm after as being more "complicated," I regard it as being more complete and more convenient. And far less complicated than Dufus' way of using Excel, because with the database you don't have to manually create a new page for each firearm. That's already done.

Dufus

And far less complicated than Dufus' way of using Excel, because with the database you don't have to manually create a new page for each firearm. That's already done.

AB: you are confusing the heck out of anyone that is wanting to do record keeping in Excel spreadsheets.

Creating an Access database from scratch is not an easy task for someone that doesn't use it regularly.

You keep stating that a spreadsheet is WAY over complicated.

I strongly disagree with that.

Wait until you start adding pictures to an Access database and then talk about WAY more complicated. There are many more steps with Access than with Excel to include pictures.

I think you are just trying to justify your means by denigrating one process over another.

I am by no means saying what you want to do is not feasible.....it just isn't so much better that another, unless you have more than 50 records that you want to record and by that I mean more than 50 firearms.

Of course, I commend your efforts to do this and I truly hope that it gives you what you want.

There are 1000s of tutorials on line that can guide you in the task of adding photos, but like everything in Access, they are links.

Frank Ettin

Administrator
AB, as you know I'm something of a Luddite.

So I kept things simple. I did my firearms inventory as a simple document (I'm on a Mac so I used Pages, which I then save as a pdf).

I just have a narrative for each gun, including serial number, any modifications or customizations (including who did them and when), and any dedicated optics. The narrative is essentially in outlive form, and I've settled on what is for me a rational and consistent format. Since my insurer does require a schedule, I also list a value, which has been negotiated with, and agreed to by, the insurer.

L2R

you can add pictures to excel spreadsheets. You can minimize the pics to fit a cell and grab an edge to drag it to make it bigger. If you right click on properties, you can lock the picture to the cell in size and location so it easily moves with the cell.

went to save ... and it crashed.

Yeah, that was my experience with any number of Iphone apps; I try them, enter a bunch of stuff, and then the developer stops supporting them and they crash. So I've learned to back up the apps to something exportable (.csv, .txt, etc) so that I can go back to my old standard.

Which, like you Aquila, is Excel. Excel never goes away or messes up and I use it for many things. My firearms inventory is all in excel...which is nice because I can make a column for whatever data I want and, for instance, add the costs for each on a separate spreadsheet to keep track of totals.

For the pictures, click on the cell you want a picture, right click, and then choose "hyperlink" to link to the picture you want. As long as your inventory spreadsheet stays in the same relation to any subfolders, you can link to pictures in the subfolders and then just click on that link. For instance, say my inventory excel spreadsheet is in a "main" folder that has two subfolders "pistol pictures" and "longgun pictures". I can hyperlink to a picture in \longgun pictures and as long as the main folder and subfolder stay in that relationship with each other, it will always open the correct picture.

Hope that makes sense. All my firearms are in one spreadsheet and each has a hyperlink to a "left" and "right" view on the same line as the firearm information.

kenny53

I took a pad of paper and pen, wrote down the gun and serial number. Wrote the name of the kid I want it to go when I kick. I may have to rethink this list.

Update: Got it figured out. The key is that Access wants photos to be bitmaps, not JPEGs or PNGs. The database part is up and running, I just need to drag out the guns and take the photos.

Once I have them all entered (or before) I'll move on to setting up one or two report formats.

FWIW, I found I can create much the same database in Libre Office Base, and that program will accept JPEG images.

Here's what it looks like:

attachment.php

The third empty space at lower right will be for a close-up of the serial number. The large box at lower left is a memo field, for any miscellaneous comments or notes pertaining to that firearm.

Attachments

• Database_Screenshot.jpg
    Database_Screenshot.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 70

Don P

What I've done for insurance is take pictures of the gun and serial number and put it on a disc

Bob Willman

I used Microsoft Word Starter and made a list with manufacturer, model, caliber and serial number. There is also notice of any special options like a scope or custom stock with details. I recently added the date of manufacture when I could find it online since I have some over 100 years old. It is possible to add photos to Word Starter but I have not done it. I like the idea of Excel Starter and I may look into that option since columns are easier to define.

Chettt

The important thing to do is give a copy of your file to a relative, because when your home burns down you will want photos of everything you own.