Inventory

The recent discussion about firearms insurance ( https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=601965 ) started me thinking. I have insurance, but it doesn't require a report of serial numbers or individual values. The discussion makes me realize that, even though it's not required, it's probably a good idea to have such an inventory.

I have Microsoft Office Professional, so I have both Access and Excel. Does anyone have a good template, or a link to a good template, for a home inventory database that would be suitable for firearms? I would prefer a way to include photos, and even though I use Excel and don't use Access, I think something like this would be better in Access. I'll happily look at both.

Or ... has anyone used any of the inexpensive, dedicated programs out there such as MySoftware's My Home Inventory or something similar?

That's the right idea, but I'm confused. Is that a series of screen shots of a database, or is that a paper ("dead trees") book that someone is/was selling?

Pahoo

Keep looking to serve your needs.

Well, I suppose you can find some of both but this one is suppose to be a PDF file. What I sent you, is just one example. You can copy and edit your own. Then save it as a personal PDF file. Now then, I said that there is a number of these available, on the internet. I turned mine into a WORD document. Now, if you want to create an Excel file and do some math, you just fill out the cells. ;)

Be Safe !!!

I already have an Excel file. (But it doesn't include photos.) What I would really like is a simple database that will allow up to two photos (one of each side) of each firearm. I think I can slog my way through creating the database, but I'm up the creek without a paddle when it comes to adding in the photos.

I found a freeware home inventory program that looked VERY promising. Simple, clean interface, didn't ask for a lot of extraneous information. I downloaded it, installed it, entered the information for one firearm and went to save ... and it crashed.

So much for that. Back to the drawing board.

Dufus

AB: create a page for each firearm and enter the information that you want.

Then select the "insert" tab on the tool bar and select "picture".

If the photo is too large, then click on the picture and select "picture tools".

On the right side of the tool bar, there will be two boxes showing the height and width of the photo.

In either one, type in the size that you want (I usually make mine 2" by X"). the tools will keep the aspect ratio the same no matter what you enter in one of the boxes.

After you type your desired size in one box, hit the "enter" key and your picture will resize.

I almost always use a digital camera and shoot at the highest resolution of the camera and they are WAY to large (like 20-25 megabits), so I usually size them before hand to about 11x13. Then when I insert them I resize again.

Dufus said:
AB: create a page for each firearm and enter the information that you want.

Then select the "insert" tab on the tool bar and select "picture".
A page in what program? I'm not trying to do this in Word. If I do it myself, I want to use Access.

"All your Excel spreadsheets"? "Pages"?

You lost me when you mentioned creating a page for each firearm. Are you talking about inserting a page break to create multiple pages within a worksheet, or are you talking about a separate worksheet for each firearm? And how do you get from either of those to multiple spreadsheets?

I'm afraid I'm not following you. This sounds like a very cumbersome way to accomplish something that would be very easy in Access if I knew how to insert photos in a record.

Dufus

Create a worksheet for each firearm. Label the headers on each column.

Enter all information under each header on each worksheet.

Insert pictures. Yes, you can insert pictures in Excel.

Doing this, you really don't need an Access database, unless that is the way you want to do it.

If you have created databases previously you shouldn't have a problem using the data in Excel.

Or, you could go right into a database and do all of it, but I always found that using Excel helped me gather the information and to create fields in Access.

osbornk

I think you are making it more difficult than needed. I use the KISS method. I just use a page in Word identified as GUN ID. I list the gun, serial number, date I bought it, place I bought it and the price I paid. What more do I need other than photos I have in my photos? It looks like (my last 5 only and I am a cheapskate):

Hi-Point 995TS carbine F152111 March 26, 2018 $269.99 from Rural King

Taurus 605 357 magnum stainless hammerless snub nose revolver VE11659, 2002 model, October 3, 2018 from Broad Street Pawn $300.00

GSG 1911-22 A795145 12/17/18 from Buds Gun Shop $237.00

Rossi RG22 7-CA073376L 1/28/19 $119.99 from Rural King

Charter Arms Pathfinder 4.2”barrel 18-70187 4/16/19 $365 from Buds Gun Shop

Wag -

Looks interesting, but it's for Android devices. I use a Windows 7 desktop computer.

jmr40 -

Thank you, as well. I have a copy of Libre Office (derived from the same open source base as Apache Open Office). I'm not interested in using a word processor to accomplish a database task. I've been doing it with a spreadsheet, but that's still far from ideal. I've decided it's time to learn how to do it right. I took a look at the Libre Office database module and, unfortunately, I found a couple of issues that disqualify it from consideration.

Wag

Gotcha. I'm betting you'll be very happy with Libre Office, though. Let us know what you come up with.

--Wag--