Introduction/ Smith and Wesson 15-4 price opinions

CajunBass

I wouldn't worry about shooting P+ in any of mine, but I wouldn't bother. The only thing I shoot is paper targets, and they don't take a lot of killing.

15-2 (1966)

15-3 (1975)

67 (no dash) Stainless version of Model 15 (1973)

Soclosenotnear

Did they put different size/style grips on them at different times?

And nice collection. I'd love to find one like the middle picture of yours to match the blued one I'm picking up.

CajunBass

The Magna stocks like yours has are the standard stocks. The target stocks were optional and may or may not have been original.

Stephanie B

My "no dash" Model 15:

Model%2B15.JPG

Soclosenotnear

I'm bumping this thread because I have the opportunity to buy another model 15 in my shop. It's a 2" 15-2 made in 1967. This one would cost me about $450 but is not in nearly the condition as the 4" 15-4 I picked up pictured above. The action is tight and it functions perfectly. Really it's just holster wear it appears. I guess what I'm asking is are the 2" barreled versions worth any premium over the standard 4" version. Is that a fair price?

amd6547

2" Model 15's are very desirable and do command a premium.
I know, because since I fell in love with my 4" 15-3, I've looked for deal on one.
Unsuccessfully.

Here is a pic of my 4". I found it at a gun show for $179. It had been refinished at some point, fairly well except for some overpolishing on the S&W logo on the side plate.
It has red insert front and white outline sights. Fine shooting revolver.

SaxonPig

Unless it's a total wreck $450 is a good price for a 2" M15.

I have a 4" M15-3 in nickel that I bought from a dealer at a show for $165. But that was 18 years ago. It's a former campus police gun at a LA university. I fitted and finished the stag stocks for it.

standard.jpg

JT-AR-MG42

Don't really know about a premium (especially one with holster wear)
but as already stated, they are not encountered nearly like the 4" version.

450 for a 2" with just holster wear sounds good to me.
My 15-3 2" outshoots my 15-2 4" with the Speer HBWC/2.7gr. Bullseye load.

JT

CajunBass

I don't generally care much for 2" guns but I'd think about that one at $450.00. I'd try to get for less of course...the stocks are sort of rough...but I wouldn't lose it if I wanted it over a few bucks.

The 2" guns do seem to bring a premium over the 4". If for no other reason than they didn't make as many of them.

redrick

I am glad to see a young man like you with a interest in classic revolvers . The model 15 is one that was on my list that I recently got . $525 might be a little high for it , but not by much , $400 to $475 would be more inline with that blemish on the side . Use the right size screwdriver and pull the grips off and see if they are serial numbered to that revolver , I believe they will match since it is in the original box .

Soclosenotnear

I'm comfortable with my 4" model I paid $525 for. I like having that original box, etc with it.

That 2" model was just picked up by the original owner. He forfeited it on pawn, but just came in a few minutes ago and snatched it back up. I didn't move quickly enough on that one, however, I am happy that the original owner got it back. I'd have been upset if someone random picked it up, but I can't be mad about what happened. I already have two guns on layaway, so it wasn't good timing for me.

...now we have a Interarms Virginian Dragoon in .44 magnum about to come out for sale I've been reading about. I've never owned/shot a big bore revolver, but it could be my first if I can finish off these other layaways really quickly. We'll see how the cookie crumbles. I'll probably make another post about that pistol separately. Thanks again everyone for your advice and knowledge.

-Joseph

Last edited:

redrick

The Virginian Dragoon is not a Rossi it was imported by Interarms and made by Hammerli in Switzerland , then they move production to Midland Va. around 1976 and stopped production in 1984 . I would not pay more than $450 for it in EX. condition . Pretty much the Ruger Blackhawk put them out of business , they cost less and people preferred them over the Virginian . I had one once , and had a hard time getting $400 for it and it was in excellent condition with the box . That was just a few years ago . You don't see them for sale a lot , but the ones I do see seem to go for $400 dollars here .

Soclosenotnear

Fixed my error. I just automatically associate Interarms with Rossi for some reason. Reading about them, they are supposedly much tighter fitting/locking and more accurate than blackhawks. They were apparently more expensive when new for that reason and that is why blackhawks and others were more popular. Who knows... This one is probably not destined to be mine. I'll keep obsessing until I find something else I'm sure.