Introduction/ Smith and Wesson 15-4 price opinions

Soclosenotnear

Hello, my name is Joe and this is my first post here. I'm from Charleston, sc. I'm a 26 year old who has been collecting firearms for a few years now. I manage a pawn shop, so I constantly see things I drool over. However, we do not get the greatest employee discounts and I can usually sell something to a customer for a better price than the supervisors give us.

Anyways, the latest thing to catch my eye is a model 15-4. It's blued with a 4" bbl in 90%ish condition and includes the original box and paperwork. I've been reading about it for the last three days so I feel like I have a pretty good grasp on most aspects about this gun. It was made in 1977 as far as I can tell and does have a pinned barrel.

Prices on firearms have to be run through the supervisor before going out for sale to begin with(very corporate atmosphere) so it's not as if I could price it for next to nothing. It was priced at 599. Compared to what gunbroker is asking, it seems like a fair price. But checking the completed auctions, they don't seem to be bringing that much in the real world.

The longer I let it sit in the showcase, the better price I can get, but they'd likely tell me $570ish for the first 30 days or so, and not sure if this is the one I should pull the trigger on, no pun intended. What are you fine folks' opinions on prices on these in today's market?

CajunBass

You can probably find one for less but that's not out of line in this area with the box and papers.

I saw them at the gun show yesterday 400-600 depending on condition.

I'd try to get it for less of course but I won't lose a gun I want over a few bucks.

But I an a Combat Masterpiece fan. I've got three a 15,67, and an 18 (22).

old bear

15-4. It's blued with a 4" bbl in 90%ish condition and includes the original box and paperwork.

Joe, the 4" blued version was the most common model produced.
The 90% condition lowers the value, but the original box and paperwork, do add to the value. I believe that the $570.00 is about $100.00 to much and about $120.00 more than I would be willing to spend on a revolver in the condition you described.

Keep your eyes open, and something in better condition at a better price should turn up.

reddog81

Asking prices on GB can range from high to very high. That price is at least $100 too high like old bear noted.

At that price you are close to being able to get a model 19. It's basically the same gun only it can shoot 38 special and .357 Magnum.

Soclosenotnear

Yeah, although the box and papers are a nice touch, they don't do much for me, and I would certainly sacrifice them for a better price. I'll probably just wait. I'm sure it will sell, as it is very nice and some of my customers will snatch it up at nearly any price. But if it makes it 90 days, it'll get marked down, and then I'd be in better shape to make an offer.

Ironically, we have a model 19 with a 6" barrel on clearance for $315. I haven't given it much thought because some previous owner duracoated it, and it looks to have been pitted underneath. I don't remember exactly, but I vaguely remember it being rough book and the cylinder opening and closing very loosely. It was abused and it didn't even occur to me that the model 19 and 15 were related until I started reading about the 15. That's how bad of shape the 19 is.

reddog81

Read the sticky about "the revolver checkout" at the top of the revolver forum. If the timing and everything else about the model 19 are decent I'd see if you could take it for a test drive. If you can take it out and shoot it and it performs decently I'd buy it in a heart beat at that price. Even If the mechanics need work it might be an easy fix.

Soclosenotnear

I thumbed through most of it, upon joining. As far as handguns go, I very rarely rarely find a pistol that interests me, so I've been stuck in the revolvers sub forum thus far.

I'm going to pick the 19 up and handle it tomorrow. Iirc, I paid the customer $200 for that revolver about 8 months ago. I could likely get that one for 230ish since it's been sitting around so long. Many people have picked it up over the months, so it did not become aged from simply being overlooked in the case. I'll see tomorrow exactly what kind of shape the action is in, etc.

Stephanie B

Asking prices on GB are useless, other than an indication of the sellers' mindsets.

But a search on completed auctions; that will give you an idea what they really sold for.

Soclosenotnear

Right, I understand that pretty well. That's why I don't think I can pay what we are asking for on this one. I like a nice (condition) gun, but having the original box doesnt matter to me. I know they add considerable value, but I'd rather save the money on another one without the box and papers.

amd6547

It's worth every cent at $599. They will never make any more.
I will add the the Model 15 is the best non target 38spl ever made, and easily lives up to the name Combat Masterpiece.
I often rely on mine for HD duty, loaded with 158gn SWCHP +P, or Speer 135gn SB +P.

Mr. Hill

That's a pretty revolver with almost no line on the cylinder that I can see.
$570 is a fair price for that gun. It looks almost new, with the added bonus of being able to physically inspect before buying.

Edited to add: isn't that what you'd say to an interested customer? Ha.

Soclosenotnear

Sooo, today was payday. And although I already have two active layaways, I decided to make an offer on this. I'm sure he'll come back with more than I offered but we shall see.

On another note, we recently got a stainless 4" Smith and Wesson 686-6 that'll be priced out around $549 I imagine. But I decided I'd rather have the 15-4. I'll be fine with the "lowly" .38spl only.

You can see in this picture, the mark or blemish in the finish. Other than that, it's pretty pristine.

And all the goodies here. I offered $500 and hope to be somewhere around that number. It's become a must have for me, at least in my head, so it'll be going on layaway in the next couple days almost regardless of my employee price.

UncleEd

Stick with the Model 15 if you can get it.

Those that counsel about the Model 19, it being a .357, just don't value
the Model 15 like so many of us do. The Model 19 is a "Clunk" compared
to the sweet .38 Model 15.

Oh, by the way, the .38 Special is not "lowly." It gets the job done and has done so, especially in the FBI/Chicago load configuration or the more modern
plus P jacketed rounds.

Soclosenotnear

The model 19 we had here was rough and didn't strike me as even remotely interesting. That and the model 15 in the pictures are two completely different animals. The 19 was recently layed away anyways.

And I realize the .38spl is more than adequate. I was sort of laughing at the idea that one "must have" the .357. Mine will more than likely only see range time, and sparingly at that.

CajunBass

On the right side view, is that a scratch across the frame, or just a reflection? I think it's a reflection of the overhead lights in the shop.

If that was at my local shop for $600.00, I might not even bother to try to talk them down. I know they wouldn't, if I didn't want it the guy standing behind me would. They're tagged at $600.00 around here without the box and papers.

I'd probably just sigh, and say "Put this in my layaway bin." I'm pretty sure they have one in the back with my name on it.

Last edited:

Soclosenotnear

It is not a scratch, but it is some sort of superficial blemsih. I'll try something to get it off once I get it home in a couple of months.

And my regional supervisor came back at me with $525, asking if it was priced accurately at the original $599. Haha. I'm gonna jump on it at $525, even though I've got plenty other expenses that need my attention. They give us 6 months on a layaway for that amount, so I'll have plenty of time to dream and drool about getting it home.