interesting - I "fight" more with our own "pro-freedom"-folk than w/antis

Quartus

I like your analogy about rape. Let's take it one step further. I'll 'transfer' this from gorlitsa to a hypothetical "Sally". I'm thinkning it might get offensive, and I certainly do NOT want to offend gorlitsa.

And FAIR WARNING: This will be ugly.

Sally is being raped. She's not threatened with rape, she's not about to be raped, the rape is in full progress. Her lip is split, her eyes are blacked, and he's got his way. He's on top, and he's inside, and he's pumping. Fair analog to our situation with gun rights? They are not ABOUT to infringe on our rights - they've taken many (most) of them away already.

But he hasn't killed her yet. That's next.

So the way I see it, any millimeter that she can force him off of her, or out of her, any bit of freedom that she can gain for her hands, is a good thing, a thing to be desired. If she can scratch an eye, if she can bite a nose - any harm she can do to him is good. The eventual goal, of course, is to get him off, and kill him. But she can't do that just by wishing it so. And the fact is, like it or not, he's stronger than she is. She can't just throw him off and break his neck by brute force.

You could argue that he has no right to do what he's doing. You'd be right.

And irrelevant.

You could argue that she should spend all her energy on the core issue: his penis in her vagina.

You'd be stupid.

The objective is to win. The NRA's appeasment doesn't win us anything. It's just slowing down the losses, somewhat, while giving away the high ground. I don't recommend them or their methods.

But taking the ground back one millimeter at a time is still taking the ground back. Yes, it's our ground. We shouldn't have to take it back. But we lost it. If we want it back we have to take it. One millimeter at at time.

In a battle like this, you take take some hits. Like voting for an 80% good candidate so that a 0% candidate doesn't get elected. Like supporting a decent CCW law instead of folding your hands over your chest and self-righteously proclaiming that such laws only recognize that the state has a right to regulate guns.

We didn't get here overnight, and we won't get back overnight. We won't get back ever if we adopt the NRA's tactics. But neither will we get back if we insist on all or nothing.

I'm not suggesting we give up ANYTHING. I'm not suggesting that we allow ANY further infringments of our rights. I won't support trading an infringment in one area for a reduction of infringment in another. That's playing the enemy's game on the enemy's turf.

I am suggesting that we take every bit we can get, every time we can, rather than saying we want all or we want nothing.

Skorzeny

Labgrade:
Any difference?

He got what he wants & so did you - by your definition, it's only a "bit of compromise."

I say that he never had that "right," & you had every reason to say "NO!," & emphatically.
Again, the example you gave is what's called an appeasment, not compromise. I already stated emphatically that appeasment does not work and never has - it only whets the assailant's appetite.

What I favor is what captainHoek explained in his counter-analogy - incremental reclamation. Why? Because we have not been forcibly, rapidly "raped" as you suggested. Instead, we have been slowly "fraternity date-raped" in which our opponents have started by requesting that we put up with kisses, touches and other "small favors" in return for not being raped right away (again, incremental appeasements as I see them).

To suggest now that we ask it all back at once would be politically akin to suggesting that we put a bullet in this groper's head to save ourselves - ain't gonna fly in the court of public opinions. Instead, we ask him to remove one of his hands first (that we'd still be in the room), then the next, then leave the room, and so on - you see my point.

BTW, as an analogy, a compromise would be - he doesn't get to rape us, but simply touch us and we don't get to get away from him, but we get the door of the room open (a compromise involves both sides getting something, but not everything). In some situations, a compromise CAN be useful in obtaining our eventual goal (again, to stress again, an appeasement is not).

Skorzeny

WyldOne

A few points that don't have much to do with each other....I hope this makes sense :)

TheBluesMan--Thank you a million times for the info on that book.

I've been burnt out for well over a year now. It's to the point where it seems that I can't go to a single rally or demonstration without completely picking apart the way the demo was organized, or stupid little details along those lines. I do it all the time lately.

One would think, that a logical suggestion would be to not go to any rallies. I did that, but it is very hard for me to hear of an action and stay at home or not help out in some way. I literally feel like a fish out of water, or like a prisoner in an extremely tight cell.

labgrade, it seriously looks to me as if you're on the verge (or worse) of burnout. I wish I knew what to suggest, but if you can escape and get some bigtime R&R....maybe that might help. (Also what I've learned is that there are various levels of burnout).

After this weekend's SAS rally, however, I'm reminded of something that a few people on a different bb told me about gunnies...We tend to come together because of similar views on the RKBA and an appreciation for guns, but other than that....We're a pretty diverse group. (That was a really bad paraphrase)

What I'm getting at, is that I felt quite alienated--as a result of my burnout combined with my unique-for-gun-supporters political ideology. So I think I could relate pretty well with the notion of "fighting more with "us" than with "them"...I have a feeling that's about to define my future.

On the note of compromise...Are ya'll seriously telling me that, for MA to get shall-issue, that would be a compromise--a bad thing? Living in this state, I have a hard time seeing shall-issue CCW as being anything negative. It would take a miracle, yes. But it would absolutely be a step in the right direction.

And what did people tell me when I started exploring guns?
Baby steps, Denise. I respectfully tell you the same. :)

Finally...I hesitate to mention this. But I will. :) There was a political leader who wrote one or two essays on the contradictions among the people vs. contradictions between the people and the enemy. I don't have the sources on me at the moment, but if anyone is interested, I can find them. The reason for my hesitation is that this guy is an infamous Communist, and I really don't want to get into that discussion...I also wonder if the author may discredit the writing in some people's eyes.

labgrade

Member In Memoriam
Appreciate y'all not taking my head off - may deserve it.

These last few weeks, with the CO legislature closing & that CCW bill infront opf us has taken its toll. I could not believe the apeeasement/compromise (I'll not even argue the difference right now) put forth by our "mainstream" gun groups ... :barf:

+ some other related stuff ....

Hadn't seen CW's book ref yet, have it bookmarked/saved & will digest soon. I have read the 5 minute activist & should take its advise more often. ;)

Sorry for any offence - wasn't intended - burn-out, I guess.

Quartus

No problem, labgrade. Some of us can disagree agreeably. :D

And WyldOne, post that book, please? There have been some pretty smart communists. Marx & Lenin for starters. Mao, too. Knowing your enemy is a good thing. Stealing any good ideas he has is, too. :D

There are some who wouldn't read it. But I suspect there are a lot more on this board who would be glad to.