Interesting Article on Barrel Break-In

Here's acouple barrel manufactor on break in

Brux barrels http://www.bruxbarrels.com/gpage.html

The Brux description is how they are made, not how they are broken-in. In fact, the section is called "Barrel Making 101"

Harts has none outside of normal cleaning.

OMG Borders suggest a break-in that literally takes days to accomplish. HOLY COW!

I found this comment from Lilja to be interesting...
It is important to break-in a barrel though. The jacket material must be removed after every shot during the initial few rounds. If this isn't done the areas of the barrel that fouled will tend to pick up more fouling and it will build on itself. It is important to get a layer of powder fouling on top of the lands & grooves. This hard deposit will prevent the copper from stripping off the bullets. However, if the internal finish of the barrel is too rough the barrel will never be completely broken-in and fouling will always be a problem. Some barrels can't be broken-in.

So only the first few rounds are every important. Either you do what is right with the first few rounds, or your barrel is not ever going to be right?

What happens if you clean your barrel after a proper break-in and remove the layer of powder fouling that is on top of the lans and grooves that is supposed to keep copper from stripping from the bullets? Do you then have to do a new barrel break-in?

The more I read about "barrel break-in" the more I believe in religion.

old roper

I only have 2 factory chamber rifles one is a donor for a future build other is Rem 722 in 222mag and I have a new 222mag with a Lilja that the gunsmith should have ready this week.

I think it's important to clean for the first 5 rds appr all my custom barrels are hand lapped Rock,Kreiger,Hart,Lilja,Broungton,Chanlynn,Brux,Shilen,Bartlein even got a McMillian one of the last made before he sold out along with acouple K&P barrels.

About the only thing I do alittle difference I have set of cleaning rod in Sinclair double rod holders for each caliber and I use a Bore Tech rod with a brush and Dewey for the patch. I use Lucas or Sinclair bore guides and I wipe the rods down before and after using them and I have good jags that fit each caliber.

I load at the range so I get a break between shots after those first 5 or so clean after each shot on a new barrel I have not set amount rds fired between cleaning.

publius

Makes sense. I think most people, in the last few years, have come to the conclusion that barrel break-in is a waste of time and ammo. Clean it when it's new and shoot. The article makes perfect sense though, if you believe in the advantages of break-in.

ZeroJunk

I'm a moron I know, but when I had my favorite pre-64 Model 70 rebarreled several years ago I cleaned the barrel with Sweets every shot for the first 50 rounds. No big deal, I just walked out the door and shot it in to the ground. I needed to fire form the brass anyway. I still haven't shot it over 200 times and that's been 20 years ago. A good number of those shots I have killed something with it. I think I will be about 150 years old by the time I wear the barrel out. It shoots very well and picks up very little copper. May have done it anyway. Who knows.

The rifle was built by a gunsmith who built a lot of benchrest rifles that he shot himself. That was his explanation, that you cleaned all the metal fouling off after every shot so that the bullet could smooth off tool marks etc. That was in the late 80's.

Last edited:

rickyrick

Clean them with fine French silk patches. Carefully wrap them in 900 thread count linen. Line the gun safe in memory foam. Wear gloves when handling..................then you fall down a dusty gully