Interested in a 1911.

Love&Hate12

I did a whole lot of research yesterday and I thank everyone who gave some insight, since the range that rented some of the models no longer do due to the suicide's recently... won't get to test them before buying.

From everything I've read I really like what's reported about the Mil-Spec and it comes a pretty stainless version, which can be had for 600-650, very basic but good out of the box. Customizations can happen over time and it's a sharp looking classic to start with.:D

However, the Dan Wesson that was recommended by two posters in this thread are indeed beautiful. They look like Ed Brown's in fact and share many of the same attributes, I may end up saving a little more and finding one of those.

I'm keen on buying American, however cliche' that may be.

magnum force

springfield champion operator or the para gi expert-seem to be some of the best deals for the money. both of mine are tack drivers and feed all :D

i would avoid kimber like the plague-way too many quality control issues with only a 1 year warranty :eek:

dan wessons pretty nice too.

if you get a colt, check it thoroughly-their quality control is almost as bad as kimber. they don't make em like they used to.

i've seen a couple new xse commanders-one had the thumb safety falling off and the other had an xtremely loose slide/frame fit. there's much better deals on the market for more features than the colt's come with for the same money. colt charges extra for that little pony.

Last edited:

shepherddogs

If I had 1k dollars to play with I wouldn't even consider a MilSpec. They are basic guns with rough triggers in my experience. I would suggest S&W, Kimber or Colt in that order. I've had at least six Kimbers that I can recall and never had any problems. I've never owned a S&W 1911 but the ones I've handled were sweet. I've had good and bad luck with Colt. After rereading your post about buying American, I stand by my suggestions. The Springfields 1911s are made in Brazil.

Last edited:

Andrewh

Dan wesson I agree is a very nice gun.

I own a Spartan now. Has the most features for the money, and shoots great.

But regardless, before you buy, remember this, anything you want on a gun is way cheaper to buy it with it on there when you buy it rather than adding it later.

magnum force

only the springers that actually say "made in brazil" on them are in fact made in brazil by imbel.

ALL of the operators, and many of the milspec and gi's are made in america as well.

i would look for a made in america milspec or gi. not that the brazil ones are bad or anything, but for the same price why not get a usa 1911?

Rob96

only the springers that actually say "made in brazil" on them are in fact made in brazil by imbel.

ALL of the operators, and many of the milspec and gi's are made in america as well.

i would look for a made in america milspec or gi. not that the brazil ones are bad or anything, but for the same price why not get a usa 1911?

All Springers start as raw forgings from Imbel. If you get a gun with an "NM" serial number prefix that means more than 50% of the machining was done stateside.

Love&Hate12

May just look into the Operator or TRP then, along with the Dan Wesson's. I still have a CWP, should probably go for a 4 inch commander sized model. Even in Florida, the slimness of the 1911's reportedly make for ease of carry.