Interested in a 1911.

Love&Hate12

Hi everyone, I used to post here, had to sell all of my guns due to financial strains in 2007 and 2008 and would like to get back into shooting now that income is once again steady.

In about a month, I'll have 1,000 or so set aside to purchase a new handgun with and I really would like a 1911 as I never owned one before, used to be a Glock and Sig owner.

So, if some 1911 owners would like to give me some recommendations....

I've been reading up on the Springfield Mil Spec .45 and it seems like a great buy and would leave me with enough left over to buy a fair bit of defense ammo as well. What's everyone's thoughts on this model? And what are some other models I should read up on?

Thanks.:D

J.Netto

The Mil-Spec is one of the best 1911's for the money. I think so anyway :D Seriously though, It's got everything a 1911 needs, and is a great value. It's also one of the most reliable 1911's I've ever owned. You definitely wouldn't be making a mistake by getting one. I think you would be very pleased with it.

One of the reasons I've always liked the Mil-Spec is because it has that classic 1911 look, but has a beveled mag well, lowered and flared ejection port, a polished feed ramp and a throated barrel. The sights are a little better than those on the GI model. Anyway, good luck and welcome back.

Love&Hate12

@ J. Netto - Thanks for the reply. Yeah, it looks to be a good one from all reviews but also isn't made anymore. Would one be easy to locate? Also in a youtube review video someone said some people claiming GI models to be the better 'Mil Spec' models and the difference easiest to tell are the slide grooves.

Say a Mil Spec can't be located, other than the sights, what's the difference between it and the GI model? The GI stainless seems easy to find and looks pretty attractive, could just drop a set of nice sights on it if the sights are the only issue.

I agree with you on that classic look, don't need anything in the hot-rod area, just a good working, accurate/reliable pistol.

@ Big Ugly Tall Texan -

Those Taurus's look good via design, I'll read up on them.

dairycreek

I became interested in the Dan Wesson CBOB
main309_png_400x128_q85.png
and purchased one not too long ago. Beautiful gun at around $1K. Sure do like mine.

J.Netto

Yeah, it looks to be a good one from all reviews but also isn't made anymore.

I didn't know that! :eek: I still see them around, I found one brand new at a shop the other day.

Say a Mil Spec can't be located, other than the sights, what's the difference between it and the GI model? The GI stainless seems easy to find and looks pretty attractive, could just drop a set of nice sights on it if the sights are the only issue.

The only difference are the features I listed in my first post, these:

One of the reasons I've always liked the Mil-Spec is because it has that classic 1911 look, but has a beveled mag well, lowered and flared ejection port.

I've owned a GI model too, and it was great as well, it would shoot anything I fed it.

Love&Hate12

Where did you hear mil specs aren't being made anymore? I just checked their website and they are still listed.

A few reviews, including a video review on you tube, I checked it as well and it's listed. Good to know, the reviews have it wrong.

@ Greyson -

.45 hard to come by these days?

greyson97

last time i saw .45 for sale at academy, some guy had bought 3 boxes of 250, and i was like, why does he need so much ammo?

that was the last time ive seen .45 for sale at academy. and that was 4 months ago.

Semi-jacketed

For around $1,000 look at Colt, STI or Dan Wesson. They offer the best overall 1911 for the price point in materials and workmanship.

Love&Hate12

So far I'm almost sold on the Springfield(will end up customizing with Ed Brown parts as time goes on), but after reading up on the Dan Wesson, which every review was stellar, I may look into that further. Beautiful gun, I enjoy the minimalist styles of 1911, it has a classic elegance.

Not experienced with Colts, but have heard they need work out of the box to operate 100% and while I wouldn't mind that if in the end I'd have a top notch gun, I'd like to be able to just pick one up and know it's fully functional for defense after I take it home from the range. What's the deal on Colt's with reliability/accuracy and the like?

Bayou Rifle

I have a SA Mil Spec. It's a fine pistol. So are all of the others mentioned in this thread. It is a good buy for the price.

Semi-jacketed

Quote--"Not experienced with Colts, but have heard they need work out of the box to operate 100% and while I wouldn't mind that if in the end I'd have a top notch gun, I'd like to be able to just pick one up and know it's fully functional for defense after I take it home from the range. What's the deal on Colt's with reliability/accuracy and the like?"

I like Colts; that being said, what you type above was not off decades ago, but anyone making pistols in the last 25 years has had to ensure reliability. They even make plastic pistols now. ;)

Seriously, I'm not a name brand junkie whatsoever and will throw a company under the bus if I see their quality flagging but denying it or pretending it isn't happening. When younger I wasn't particularly impressed with Colts due to reliability issues (I'm 43 now) and shot primarily Browning Hi-powers, but times have changed. The first pistol I purchased was a 1911 due to a good deal-- not a Colt. Traded it due to reliability issues and made the trader aware of such while obtaining a Browning Hi-power. Over the years and shooting steadily while keeping current on technology and the waxing and waning of various companies and their quality issues, I've observed Colt having to step up and offer something other than a name. I believe you'll find their slide not quite as tight (micrometers) as the very tight slides on other manufacturers for overall reliability, but the barrel lugs fitting just as they should (the word vault comes to mind) for accuracy; exactly as it should be and one of the reasons I choose them primarily.

Now I see that Colt is one of the better values around. All I can say is go check them out personally and make your decision.

Regardless, the Dan Wesson wouldn't be a mistake either.

Love&Hate12

Thanks very much semi-jacketed for the details. Much to think about now, as it will be the only gun I'll be buying for a good while.

I'm definitely going to head out to a store and look at everything while asking plenty of questions to head sales, but am going to get enough research on all interested models before getting close to purchase.

I'm not going back to polymer.... too excited on the prospect of the 1911.:D

DasFriek

With $1k budget id be buying a Dan Wesson,work of art imo that doesnt have custum prices.They even look better than most handbuilt customs.

In the $600 range i feel the Taurus PT1911 us hard to beat with all it gives.Nothing close in price can offer more,the Springer Loaded is its next best compeitor.
But if basic weapons are all you want the Springer,RIA and STI Spartan and the Para isnt bad but not so much in Mil-spec as the others.All of these have proven to be reliable and well built.

I won the PT1911 and having nothing but great experiances with it,so much i just bought my ccw PT745 compact in .45 also.
Taurus is really doing a good job of fixing thier old rep. and the current lines they offer are as good if not better than any gun in its class.