Interest in Weatherby Mark V actions?

44 AMP

Staff
Specific to the Mk V can you define "pure garbage"??

And, how did the "pure garbage" rifle(s) shoot????

Remember Weatherby is not making and selling match rifles, they are selling hunting rifles, and, unless they give you a written guarantee then the accuracy you should expect is "minute of" deer/elk/caribou/moose, or what ever other big game you're hunting. If it doesn't shoot that well, you have a valid gripe. If it does, or even shoots better than that, you don't.

stagpanther

AFAIK--Mk 5's do have a written guarantee of being able to shoot MOA @ 100 yds with 3 shots of their factory ammo. I've never shot one that couldn't (unless the throat and bore had already been toasted).

std7mag

The Mark V and even the Vangard have a 1 MOA written guarantee with factory ammo.

My Weathermark LT in 7mm Weatherby Magnum with or without the brake does this for 5 shots with my handloads. With 1 caveat. It doesn't like the 175gr ABLR.
I'm thinking the combination of the 1:10 twist and the 0.3" jump.

Shoots the 160gr Sierra SPBT GameKings just fine.
51 rounds down the tube thus far.

The first gen Vangard in 243Win i had would shoot the first 3 within 1 MOA at 100 yards.
Let it cool for an hour & next 3 were about 5 inches.
Repeat and get 12 inch "group".
Always repeated this no matter what i tried. Had someone else do the same. Changed scope ( i still have & use that scope with no issues).

Was the only rifle i was happy to get rid of!

reynolds357

Specific to the Mk V can you define "pure garbage"??

And, how did the "pure garbage" rifle(s) shoot????

Remember Weatherby is not making and selling match rifles, they are selling hunting rifles, and, unless they give you a written guarantee then the accuracy you should expect is "minute of" deer/elk/caribou/moose, or what ever other big game you're hunting. If it doesn't shoot that well, you have a valid gripe. If it does, or even shoots better than that, you don't.
I had a 340 WBY mag MKV that the action was machined so far off centerline that I could not zero scope without using adjustable windage bases. At first thought just drilled crooked, for bases, but centerline of action was actually off. Sold it for $475, complete rifle.(buyer was informed)
Thought about putting it in lathe and "squaring" but not worth a custom barrel to do it.

Last edited: