Innovation in handguns

SPUSCG

Innovvation is discouraged, every new gun is written off as "ananswer loking for a question" or people say "nice, but x is proven and has a track record."

Its like the new age rifles, people say "oh yeah thats cool and all but the ar-15 has been around a long time and is proen and why get something different ar-15s rock blah blah blah."

10mm4ever

If not for airport metal detectors and the fear of terrorism, we'd have seen more alternative materials used at this point. There are certain composites that can retain the same relative weight to mass ratio as steel. At this point(from a technology standpoint)pistol slides could be made of ceramic composites as well as other materials. Many things that could be done, simply wont. Imagine a truly "disposable" rifle, made mostly of cheap composites, firing a caseless round. When the missions over, simply put the weapon in self destruct mode, jump on the chopper and leave. No weapons left behind, no empty casings.....nothing.

Last edited:

Webleymkv

Webleymkv - I would put the P7M8 sqeeze cocker in a different category. I thought that was innovative.

To some degree, yes. However, it seems more like a refinement of the cocking/decocking lever of the Sauer 38H rather than a completely new idea. Really, I thought that the gas piston delayed blowback operation of the P7 series was more innovative than the squeeze-cocking mechanism.

BlueTrain

The idea of a disposable firearm has a certain degree of merit for military purposes. One of the factors with military small arms, as well as other equipment, is the possibility of loss or destruction in action, something which tends to inhibit the issue of expensive weapons. But trends can be confusing.

In WWII, some innovative designs were introduced, some of which continue to influence firearms today. The M3 submachine gun and the Sten gun were both innovative in the way they were manufactured, but submachine guns are not what they used to be, in a manner of speaking, because of the real innovation of the so-called assault rifle. That first appeared in Germany as the MP-44. Not only was the cartridge innovative but so was the production of the rifle, which by the way was no lightweight. From what I've read it was not an expensive thing to manufacture, nor did it look like it, assuming the existence of sufficient stamping equipment in the shop. It is true that some relatively inexpensive firearms require some sophisticated heavy-duty equipment but they can be turned out quickly. So anyway, everyone thought the infantry gun of the future would be just stamped sheet metal. Some were. But the AK-47 certainly wasn't. Later ones were, however, so the theory does hold some water. Nowadays, more plastic is used than ever before but production of a firearms-quality plastic part is not all that simple but probably close to the production capability required by a stamped part (only different).

Innovation is not the same thing as novel but hopefully, it means something better.

ice monkey

Didn’t Remington build a firearm with and electric primer here lately that didn’t go anywhere? If I recall that was pretty … well, new!

BlueTrain

I don't know about Remington but competitive .22 target pistols of the Olympic variety sometimes have electrical parts. But what is good for a .22 target pistol may not be so good for anything else.