Inland 1911A1

gyvel

While digging for a little info about these latest entry 1911s, I came across some comments on one of the other forums.

One astute poster pointed out that the slide serrations are cut forward of the front end of the plunger tube, which is not correct, as true 1911s have the serrations beginning at or slightly behind the front edge of the plunger tube. He then pointed out that the A-O slides are produced the same way, and was wondering if these are just rebadged Auto Ordnances.

Any thoughts or insight? Other than the slide serration error, they look to be fairly authentic.

TunnelRat

I recently handled an "Inland" M1 Carbine next to an Auto Ordnance M1 Carbine. Obviously the two firearms are on the same design pattern, but each individual part that I observed appeared identical in fit and finish across the two rifles. They looked like they were made on the same machinery. Last I heard, the "Inland" group making these was the same address as the building for Chiappa. I wonder if the same is true for the 1911s. It's pretty safe to say that GM is no longer making firearms, and I have a hard time believing they left the original machinery completely untouched in storage for decades. Any reasonable corporation could have at least sold the machinery.

Edit: From "Inland's" website:
Inland Manufacturing, LLC is a private entity based in Dayton, Ohio that has no relationship with General Motors Corporation. Inland Manufacturing sources all of the components for their line of firearms from other US companies. The Inland Manufacturing products are assembled and or manufactured at the Dayton, Ohio location.

They may well be sourcing from Auto Ordnance.

Last edited:

gyvel

According to various Google results, "MKS Supply" is the one either handling, assembling or manufacturing the Inland. Don't know if they have any connection with A-O or Kahr or not.

Edit: MKS is apparently the one "representing" Inland manufacturing LLC, but they also "represent" Hi-Point.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

TunnelRat

Yea it sounds like they got rights to the name and are cashing in on the "Inland" heritage. I'd be curious if they actually manufacture any parts themselves, or source everything. I don't want to be disingenuous because they may well make parts of the pistols themselves, or at least the pistols they're having made could be held to a different spec. The base AO 1911 really isn't a bad pistol, I just always felt that for a little more money you can get a much nicer pistol in terms of fit and finish.

Last edited:

gyvel

Yeah. Cheapest wholesale deal on an Inland 1911 that I have found so far is $589.00.

I'd rather have a Rock Island for $200.00 less.

RickB

Even with mislocated serrations, the Inland (or A-O) is much more accurate a reproduction of the WWII M1911A1 than is the Rock Island.
I always gave the Springfield G.I. high marks because it had more forged parts than other "reproductions" (every component of the M1911A1 being a machined forging), but just on the basis of looking the part, the A-O and Inland appear to be the most accurate repros currently in production.

j357

I can assure you that the current 'Inland' 1911 is not made on any machinery left behind in a GM facility in Dayton OH. Inland Guide never manufactured 1911s.

The current productions of both the M1 Carbine and 1911s under the Inland name have been covered in limited write ups in The American Rifleman.

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2014/12/16/inland-manufacturings-1945-m1-carbine/

http://www.americanrifleman.org/art...pply-announces-1911a1-government-model-clone/

For a little history on Inland see:

http://usautoindustryworldwartwo.com/General Motors/inland.htm

https://history.gmheritagecenter.com/wiki/index.php/Inland_Manufacturing_Division

gyvel

I can assure you that the current 'Inland' 1911 is not made on any machinery left behind in a GM facility in Dayton OH. Inland Guide never manufactured 1911s.

Of course not; As tunnelrat pointed out, they are just cashing in on the history of the Inland name, much like Springfield Armory does with their name..

claydoctor

It has been stated elsewhere , that the Inland 1911 is the same gun as the AO 1911 and that they both contain the Series 80 safety . Not sure if that means AO is making the Inland or vice versa or if both are made by a third party .

Ibmikey

I just sent an email to Inland asking the actual manufacturer of the pistol, I will report their response rather than making a guess of my own.

Ibmikey

Well here it is Dec 11th and no reply from the email i sent to Inland on the 6th', maybe the company is not interested in devulging their heritage.

TunnelRat

^ Why would they? We know they're not using the original machining. They admit on their own website to sourcing out parts. I've mentioned seeing what appears like the exact same parts on their M1 Carbine from the same from Auto Ordnance and their pistols look a lot like AO. They're using a name to make money. Doesn't make them the first nor the last.

Ibmikey

Tunnel, The reason inquired was a desire to have some factual info on the subject rather than " we all know", but alas, it is not to be. I tried and now have a Colt 1911 enroute rather than an Inland and have closed the subject for me.

James K

Member In Memoriam
While the Inland Division became part of Delphi, which was spun off from GM, I think GM still owns the tradename. I wonder if the current maker of "Inland" guns got an OK to use it. (IIRC, GM itself used the name "Beretta" for a car; they never bothered to find out if it was being used by someone else, and had to pay out a big chunk of cash to the charity Beretta named.)

Jim

TunnelRat

I tried and now have a Colt 1911 enroute rather than an Inland and have closed the subject for me.

You have a lot more faith than I. I'm not sure any company that revived a name and recently started "making" pistols would even warrant a second thought compared to a Colt.

gyvel

The cheapest price I found for an Inland was $589.00; Bud's has Colts for $671.00.

The choice is obvious.

Ibmikey

Tunnel, The colt arrived yesterday and was to satisfy my desire for another WWII GI .45 that are becoming prohibitively expensive and so many offered today have been faked over their original manufacturer. The Inland appealed to me as it would be a GI type for general plinking etc. the colt will fill this bill quite adequately and do so with the pony dancing through every round. I am still quite a Colt fan and have AR 15's, 1911& A1's and SAA's galore.

I'm in Dayton. I've looked into some of this in the past.
MKS is the distributor of Hi-Point. My understanding is it is more or less owned/controlled by all the same people. Founded by those at Hi-Point to separate their distribution from manufacturing.

Chiappa has some connections to MKS. Previous business entanglements. I think MKS may have originally been the US distributor for Chiappa before Chiappa USA was formally incorporated. Chiappa itself is a strangely organized company from what I have seen. I have never received a clear answer on it. The Chiappa family is supposed to have retained a controlling interest in the Chiappa company, so it can't be fully owned by the Hi-Point people. They may own part of Chiappa USA though.

I am pretty confident Inland hired few to no machinists when they opened up.

I would not be surprised if there is machinery that ended up here during Delphi's demise or if it is still used in production somewhere for other things. There is an incredible amount of wartime machinery still in use here. Probably not these firearms though.